old people slang and idioms

Comments

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    my friend Rose, who heard the (intentionally butchered, I'm sure) phrase "go to the mattress" in some bullshit flick (Godfather or something) and kept crying foul when I would say "go to the mat," like a normal person.

I think "Go The mattress" is a legit saying. I think its mob slang.

• "that's mighty white of you"

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    My grandpa had tons.

Couch=Chesterfield
    Pants=Britches

Weird, my grandpa said:

Couch=Davenport
    Pants=Trousers

ya ol' whippersnapper

• I say "Chi Chis Christ!" when a well-endowed woman walks by.

I also like when my Mexican brethren from the other side ask me about their checkings[/b] account.

As far as ol' Mexican/Chicano slang, I always say "Right on, catchet??n!" and "Sauce!" (I don't really know how I would explain the usage of the latter, it's just one of those things you say when the time is right. I don't know how I would explain when the time would be right either.)Both of those I got from my Dad.

• "Made out like a bandit" for the come-ups.

• Howzabout wearing BROGANS with your DUNGAREES?

• "Mind you don't....(insert something you're not supposed to do here)". This is some Southern shit.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I say trousers because its one of my favorite words. I also like to call shorts "short pants".

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    I call a couch a chesterfield & refer to carpets as broadloom. I'll also call a suitcase a valise. Is that old?

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    "Long in the tooth" to denote advanced age is my favorite.

"that dude g*ry is a bit long in the tooth to be gettin' drunk and wearin' a coat made out of stuffed animals."

hi g*ry!

• I had a boss that caught me smoking weed one time, she was old and grey and actually said "It smells like jazz in here"

lol. classic! thats location material right there.

on some more aged slang, i always want to use the term "Chipper Philly" when describing an attractive young lady, but never seem to pull it off as much as i'd like.

• GnatGnat 1,183 Posts
    Okay, not to harp on the cattywampus thing, but I still use it because my Mom taught me. True to definition, I use it when the waist of my pants are all twisted to one side, and then I say, "My pants are all cattywampus". She's from Indiana originally, so maybe its based from the Midwest.

I like listening to my wife's grandpa talk, he's 95 and always starts his stories with, "So there was this guy, see[/b] and I had to let him go see[/b] because he was stealing from the register..." Saying "see" at the end of a sentence is like the OG version of "KnowwhatImean".

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    "Long in the tooth" to denote advanced age is my favorite.

"that dude g*ry is a bit long in the tooth to be gettin' drunk and wearin' a coat made out of stuffed animals."

hi g*ry!

GIT OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!

• sergserg 682 Posts
    my old boss' dad is this old school sales man, been selling locksmith parts for 40 years. He still refers to all asians as "chinamen." I can't get mad when he says it cause its so ridiculous, that combined with his crazy fast old sales man talk doesn't help either.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Cats who still use the word DOPE need to DIE.

• pops isn't big on cursing so instead of god dammit he goes "god.... bless america!" i throw that line in every once in a while.

• "Mind you don't....(insert something you're not supposed to do here)". This is some Southern shit.

Well, here's some real Southern shit - "I ain't studdin' you," which is a corruption of "I ain't studying you" (which is still kinda quaint), which is supposed to mean "I ain't listening to you." My late grandmother used to say that.

And here's one from the "random Sunday thoughts" thread - "stories," meant to denote TV soap operas. "Before I do anything else today, I got to watch my stories."

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    I like "Crimony" or if someone says someting funny "thats rich!"

I'LL SAY!

tomfoolery

i use that and highjinks pretty regularly. and i love HUBBUB but can't bring myself to say it without laughing.

Try brouhaha

DONNYBROOK!

my grandma calls rubber bands "gumbands" but thats just cuz she's from pittsburgh.

ELASTICS

Is "Broad" old people slang? I use that a lot.

SKIRT

I frequently refer to women who are quite obviously trying to get attention from men as "thirsty". Where does that one fit in?

thirsty= sex
    hungry= money

who died and made you de la soul?

I had a boss that caught me smoking weed one time, she was old and grey and actually said "It smells like jazz in here"

VIPER

• Options
    Cribbage, Beer Nuts... some favs

• Options

who died and made you de la soul?

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    randy

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    my old boss' dad is this old school sales man, been selling locksmith parts for 40 years. He still refers to all asians as "chinamen." I can't get mad when he says it cause its so ridiculous, that combined with his crazy fast old sales man talk doesn't help either.

I know a dude who refers to any immigrant as a "Chinaman." The really weird part is that it's usually preceeded by another adjective, like "Italian" or "Russian." As in, "Man, that damn Italian Chinaman sure can cook!"

It's beyond offensive, and really into the category of headscratching bemusement.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    randy
    My mom says that for horny.

and a co-worker of mine just walked up to my monitor and tried to squish jaymacks avatar.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    So this book I was talking about - "The Rascal's Guide" (1956) refers to a womans ass as pulchritudinous padding. Thats Frickin' awesome.

"Mind if I tap that pulchritudinous posterior?"

pulchritudinous. Look it up. I did.