old people slang and idioms

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
the swagger thread reminded me that i like throwback slang words like moxie. also reminded me that i still don't know the correct spelling ofkiddywampuskittywampuscaddywampuscattywampuskaddywampusi was bug out when i hear someone say this word cause its meaning doesn't sound like what it should be.anyway what are your favorite throwback slang or idioms. i've heard someone refer to a person who isn't street smart as a "wally" - origin being from Leave it to Beaver. i catch myself saying goner and a crying shame sometimes.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I say "for crying out loud" all the time but that's just because I'm a crumb.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

cattywampus

...I think? How would you even use that word in a sentence?

"I was all up in that cattywampus, son!"

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Bajeesus - As in "you scared it out of me".

• cattywampus

...I think? How would you even use that word in a sentence?

"I was all up in that cattywampus, son!"

it's an adj for askew or disorder from what i've heard. i.e. "my record shelves are all cattywampus." i found this and it's related to kitty-corner (or catty-corner) and i guess there are many ways to spell and pronounce it depending on what region of the country you're based in.

• i think "piece of shit" got a lot more run in my parents' generation. my dad uses it constantly. dad, do you know john _____? "yea, he's a piece of shit."

• "Hemmin' and Hawin'"

"Colder than a witch's tit"

• I say "for crying out loud" all the time but that's just because I'm a crumb.

Are you sure you're not a pill??

A big fave of mine (from my Mom) is "Jesus, Mary & Joseph!"

From may dad (behind the wheel of the car) 'JACKASS!!!'

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    whippersnapper, tomfoolery and malarkey are words i use on a regular basis.

Really.

• I am always looking for outdated weed slang. I love "lid".

I like referring to individual songs as "records", even if I am referring to a CD. Like, "that album has a lot of great records on it".

I have started saying "jive" recently and like it a lot as a descriptor for people who are Not About Shit. [/Shied]

• i say "for crying out loud" alot. it often comes out as "for shitting out loud" or "for Frickin' out loud."

dag nabbit, con sarnit and swell get spoken alot.
    "for pete's sake" has turned into "oh for shit sake" or "oh for fuck sake."
    jesus H christ has morfed into "jesus (hey soos) H mcgillicutty!"
    "give em the business" gets used.
    cherry
    sore, as in "don't be sore at me."
    "ginchy" is a new old favorite.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Using the workd "pickle" to describe a problem.

• I like "Crimony" or if someone says someting funny "thats rich!"

• Using the workd "pickle" to describe a problem.

I have improved this by adding "sticky" if it is particularly tough problem..."Thats a sticky pickle!"

I had a boss that caught me smoking weed one time, she was old and grey and actually said "It smells like jazz in here"

• I am always looking for outdated weed slang. I love "lid".

"Lid" is cool, but it seems a term more meant for shwag dealings (lid = 1 oz, right? maybe not). I've actually been referring to the good green as "marijuana" lately.

I like referring to individual songs as "records", even if I am referring to a CD. Like, "that album has a lot of great records on it".

This might be too much for the brain to handle.

• MAN ALIVE

• I tend to use olt-timey stuff when I'm around the kids, a la replacing MOTHERFUCKING SHIT (or something along those lines) with JIMINY CRICKET. I don't always make the substitution successfully, but I'm trying...

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    I frequently refer to women who are quite obviously trying to get attention from men as "thirsty". Where does that one fit in?

• tomfoolery

i use that and highjinks pretty regularly. and i love HUBBUB but can't bring myself to say it without laughing.

• MAN ALIVE

another one from my Pops...

i refer to laughter as chuckling, sniggering and guffawing

(jesus, if you use Firefox spell check recommends 'niggering and s niggering' instead of sniggering).

WTF?

• tomfoolery

i use that and highjinks pretty regularly. and i love HUBBUB but can't bring myself to say it without laughing.

Try brouhaha

• my friend's boss is a big proponent of ther expression

" whatever turns the worm"

(whatever makes gets that paper)

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    "Son of a sea cook!"
    "She's getting a little long in the tooth."

tomfoolery

Try brouhaha

outstanding

• Cattywampus is a pretty interesting one. I remember reading the history of that one online a while back while trying to find out the correct version of catty-corner. Everyone in Minneapolis says kitty-corner and it bugs the shit out of me. They also say "borrow" instead of "loan" ie: "He borrowed me $50 and now I have to pay him back."

My dad says "Shee m'nee" instead of "Jesus Christ" which is still pretty funny to hear him say.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    from when i used to take my parents car, I remember one word: GALLIVANTING.

• Every time I watch "Miller's Crossing," I remind myself to start saying "What's the rumpus?" as often as possible.

Then I promptly forget.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    One day I was watching a movie with my gurl and I said "OHH damn, those dudes just got shanghaied".

My gurl thought I made up the word shanghaied. She even went on the net cause she swore it was made up.

Then she turned to me and said "You got that from your grandfather didn't you?"