Where is the Art?

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise.

Have you listened to "millions now living will never die"?

I really like that album.
    I got seriously blazed last night and had a great time listening to the A side ("djed").

But please, back to the original topic...

More on the sidetrack --

What did you think of Tortoise's colaboration with Bonnie "Prince Billy" or whatever the dude's name is? It was all covers. I thought it was a pretty cool record but a bit of a departure from Tortoise usual stuff, though not that much of a departure.

I still have yet to hear that "beats" record on Stones Throw by a few of the Tortoise guys. I wonder how/if it was innovative.

• personally i'm borderline obsessed with tortoise

really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise. there are maybe two tracks off of TNT that i like but the rest of their stuff sounds like a combination of smooth jazz & sterile muso prog-rock and is completely forgettable to me. i saw them live too and their performance was completely lifeless as well. it's been a while though since i've heard anything. is there an album you think i should give another listen? i admit i haven't heard anything after Standards.

to be honest man, the first track off standards has a beat so nice i could put that forward as a reason i love em on it's own. there's a 3cd thing out, the first CD of which is stuff taken from singles and remixes of other people. probably the best 70 or so minutes of new instrument-based music i've heard in a while.

i do know what you're saying though. i'm quite into the sterile muso prog rock aspect of it but i can see how that's off putting. i've been listening to a lot of king crimson etc. lately and i always find that tortoise are really the only modern group i can think of who get close to what i like about KC.

all that being said, without the sick 2 drummer setup i doubt i'd be anywhere near as interested...

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts
    The "Bumps" cd is pretty cool, but can get repetitive pretty quick because of how short it is.

• really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise.

Have you listened to "millions now living will never die"?

I really like that album.
    I got seriously blazed last night and had a great time listening to the A side ("djed").

yeah i've heard their albums before Standards. i don't know what it is...i recognize they are talented musicians but i really don't like how their albums are produced either. it's sounds too polished and dentist chair to me.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I need some dull, over-intellectualized, artsy anti-hip hop music right now.

Here ya go:

http://www.soulstrut.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=988155&an=0&page=0&gonew=1#UNREAD

- spidey

• Have you listened to "millions now living will never die"?

This is my one TOrtoise record. I love it- but it's all I need.
    File under:Post rock.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I think your definitions of innovative and art might be a little narrow.

I have not presented any definition of neither "innovative" or "art" in this thread, so I don't know why you say that. I have asked for something different from mainstream rap, basically from your perspectives, not my own. I now understand that the way I presented this seemed dumb, but I find the reactions from some of you just silly. I grew up with hip hop being something innovative and original, always changing and remaking itself, but these days I feel it has been on the same boat for too long, and its not going anywhere. I might be wrong though. I'm not too updated on rap anymore, but I was hoping you proved me wrong.

• if you are bored with hip-hop music, I suggest perhaps branching into one of the other integral "elements" of hip-hop, such as "graf" or "breaking." bear in mind that the latter includes such diverse styles as "popping" and "locking."

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think your definitions of innovative and art might be a little narrow.

I have not presented any definition of neither "innovative" or "art" in this thread, so I don't know why you say that. I have asked for something different from mainstream rap, basically from your perspectives, not my own. I now understand that the way I presented this seemed dumb, but I find the reactions from some of you just silly. I grew up with hip hop being something innovative and original, always changing and remaking itself, but these days I feel it has been on the same boat for too long, and its not going anywhere. I might be wrong though. I'm not too updated on rap anymore, but I was hoping you proved me wrong.

But I think you have defined what you think is not art-ful or innovative.

The thread is called "where is the art" and you asked
    for something innovative from this year that doesn't necessarily follow that old boom bap frame.

This is what I am responding to.

As little as I am interested in proving anyone wrong, it would be hard to answer your request the way it was framed - like you've already written it off.

You're not going to want to hear from rap fans like me anyway, I like the Jay-Z record.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    if you are bored with hip-hop music, I suggest perhaps branching into one of the other integral "elements" of hip-hop, such as "graf" or "breaking." bear in mind that the latter includes such diverse styles as "popping" and "locking."

Don't send him over here we don't want him.

- spidey

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    But is the new Jay-Z "that old boom bap"? I haven't heard it, so I don't know, but I find most post-Timbaland productions way off what I mean by "that old boom bap". That's not my point though, I was looking for less dance-oriented hip hop, something not produced for clubbing, and without the usual mid 90s "boom bap" rhythm that most "indie" rappers tend to fill their records with.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

I like to dance.

• what means boom bap?

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

I like to dance.

...MUST REFRAIN FROM MAKING COMMENT...

HA!

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Okay, I need some dull, over-intellectualized, artsy anti-hip hop music right now. I'm sick of all this dance shit my white ass can't handle. I need some brain food, and not just through good lyrics, but by innovative productions that thrills my mind. (And I don't mean Anticon.) Any help, please?

Is Fifty Foot Hose hip-hop?

and whither Forty Seven Times Its Own Weight? That's like evidence that clouddeaD is are a bunch of biters.

Homes.

• I like this: edIT: Artsy (remix) f/ Grouch.
    http://audiversity.com/2007/09/edit-certified-air-raid-material.html

unfortunately it looks like their link is done.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    [buzzkill]OK OK not to kill the fun, i agree that the original post does sound hilarious and other things, but really, the guy has a point.

pretty much the only really exciting hip-hop release ive heard recently was beauty & the beat, which i got when it came out, making it 2 years since ive heard anything on the hip-hop front that really did anything for me. maybe i'm but honestly, who else seems to GENUINELY be trying to do something new? ive seen no REAL suggestions on here which almost makes me feel like the only way to get around the fact that this dude is right in searching for something "new" and that you guys really are stumped and have nothing for him is to just clown him because he worded his post kinda dumb and was basically describing anticon.

if anybody has a serious suggestion, or are themselves working on something new and innovative, id love to hear it. and if the only way to hear something new is to exit the hip-hop genre completely ("have you tried rock and roll?"), then thats kinda pathetic.

[/buzzkill]

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I had a (short) conversation at an after-party few weeks ago, with an indie warrior. We got to talking about rap. He scoffed at Jay, Wu, E-40, southern shit, etc, classic shit. At this point in our dialog he's getting pissed and says, pretty out of the blue actually:

IW:"You don't know anything about real folk-rap"

Me:"Uh..."

IW:"You think you know everything but you don't. What about proper folk music, folk-rap!? You don't who you're talking to"

Me:"Uh...what?"

IW:"Seriously, come to _____'s birthday party and you'll hear some real folk-rap"

Me:"Uh, ok"

I'm not sure if I'm ready for that certain kind of realness.

• [buzzkill]OK OK not to kill the fun, i agree that the original post does sound hilarious and other things, but really, the guy has a point.

pretty much the only really exciting hip-hop release ive heard recently was beauty & the beat, which i got when it came out, making it 2 years since ive heard anything on the hip-hop front that really did anything for me. maybe i'm but honestly, who else seems to GENUINELY be trying to do something new? ive seen no REAL suggestions on here which almost makes me feel like the only way to get around the fact that this dude is right in searching for something "new" and that you guys really are stumped and have nothing for him is to just clown him because he worded his post kinda dumb and was basically describing anticon.

if anybody has a serious suggestion, or are themselves working on something new and innovative, id love to hear it. and if the only way to hear something new is to exit the hip-hop genre completely ("have you tried rock and roll?"), then thats kinda pathetic.

[/buzzkill]

i agree with all of that man, to be honest. there have been records i've really liked since beauty and the beat but if we're holding them to be genuinely doing something new, it's a tall order.

i could suggest maybe:

dalek - but then they're doing what they do and always have done
    el-p - but likewise, you could argue that he's doing more of what he started doing on fantastic damage.

gaslamp killer stuff is interesting to me - particularly the stuff he's doing with gonjasufi - but i know at least some of his material is using large chunks of other things and getting singing on it. the difference being i just don't know some of the stuff he's using, whereas more prominent artists are using samples i'm more aware of (as i don't really get any chance to seriously dig these days)

i love the stuff MHE are doing on sound in color. not vocal hip-hop but very much hip-hop nonetheless.

dabrye is doing something quite different i guess, although you could argue he falls into the whole "post-dilla" school of beat work

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    [buzzkill]OK OK not to kill the fun, i agree that the original post does sound hilarious and other things, but really, the guy has a point.

[/buzzkill]

i agree with all of that man, to be honest. there have been records i've really liked since beauty and the beat but if we're holding them to be genuinely doing something new, it's a tall order.

i could suggest maybe:

dalek - but then they're doing what they do and always have done
    el-p - but likewise, you could argue that he's doing more of what he started doing on fantastic damage.

gaslamp killer stuff is interesting to me - particularly the stuff he's doing with gonjasufi - but i know at least some of his material is using large chunks of other things and getting singing on it. the difference being i just don't know some of the stuff he's using, whereas more prominent artists are using samples i'm more aware of (as i don't really get any chance to seriously dig these days)

i love the stuff MHE are doing on sound in color. not vocal hip-hop but very much hip-hop nonetheless.

dabrye is doing something quite different i guess, although you could argue he falls into the whole "post-dilla" school of beat work

thanks, i havent checked some of the stuff out but i really gotta say i HATED that most recent El-p album (but dont hold me to that because i might have gotten it mixed up with something else). nothing about it was appealing to me. appreciate the suggestions though, i'll definitely check out some of this stuff.

• no worries man. the last busdriver was pretty interesting and different too, even for busdriver. it's kind of a bugged out pop record with busdriver (aka the closest thing hip-hop has to frank zappa) doing what he does best over beats from omid, nobody etc.

you either like him or you don't though - i'm aware he does seem to polarise opinions on that level

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    bump, how could y'all let this classic thread die?

• What did folk-rap end up being?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

and whither Forty Seven Times Its Own Weight? That's like evidence that clouddeaD is are a bunch of biters.

Homes.

Sampling is nothing without biting. Maybe rein that in a bit more.

I was not into Anticon for the last couple of years, but I liked the new Sole. I'm of a bias though since my friend's played the music.

People that I know, some of them have recommended the latest Rob Sonic album, but I wasn't into it.

For the most part there isn't much hip-hop that takes a decidedly intellectual approach in stylistic endeavors. Even the impeccably adventurous ones. Hi folks.

If you want music to geek out on, try Hindustani Classical music.

Eintstein on the Beach has some fresh structure and vocalizations.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

Homes.

Sampling is nothing without biting. Maybe rein that in a bit more.

I was not into Anticon for the last couple of years, but I liked the new Sole. I'm of a bias though since my friend's played the music.

People that I know, some of them have recommended the latest Rob Sonic album, but I wasn't into it.

For the most part there isn't much hip-hop that takes a decidedly intellectual approach in stylistic endeavors. Even the impeccably adventurous ones. Hi folks.

If you want music to geek out on, try Hindustani Classical music.

Eintstein on the Beach has some fresh structure and vocalizations.

What in the hell are you talking about?

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

What in the hell are you talking about?

Hip hop is founded on 'biting', son. Recognize.

• can someone exlpain this graemlin to me?

• here is some dumb music I made while bored the other day, maybe it will help...bonham drums and various guitar noises by me and a lany gordin snippet...unmusical loudness.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

can someone exlpain this graemlin to me?

Recognize:

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

can someone exlpain this graemlin to me?

I haven't seen the flick personally, but I'm pretty sure it's from that King of Kong documentary that came out earlier this year. The dude in the picture is supposedly the greatest Donkey Kong player that ever lived. He also has an over-inflated sense of self importance.