Where is the Art?

bropsbrops 182 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
Okay, I need some dull, over-intellectualized, artsy anti-hip hop music right now. I'm sick of all this dance shit my white ass can't handle. I need some brain food, and not just through good lyrics, but by innovative productions that thrills my mind. (And I don't mean Anticon.) Any help, please?

Comments

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    uh what

• uh what

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Don't tease me. I'm serious.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    I think he's talking about that unlistenable music.

Here you go buddy:

http://aquariusrecords.org/

- spidey

• Actually, I think you do mean Anticon.

• thread of the year.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    oh my

• yeah - or anticon-related - like the new buck65 maybe?

check my mellow buddy peace on the megamix tip:

Buddy Peace vs Buck65 - Official Promo mix

tracklist:
    Le 65isme / 15 Minutes To Live / Out Of Focus / Pope / Wicked And Weird / Killed By A Horse / TACHICHI & DJ MOVES : 'Head Up' (featuring Buck 65) / Square 4 / Kennedy Killed The Hat / Bandits / Boom Bip : 'The Unthinkable' (featuring Buck 65) / The Centaur / Situation Intro / Weirdo Magnet Track 20 / Riverbed 1 / Out Of Focus / Sounds From The Back Of The Bus / Square 1 / The Rebel [acapella] / Supper At Sundown / Weirdo Magnet Track 1 / Shutterbug / Shutterbug [acapella] / Pants On Fire / Bachelor Of Science / Hot Lunch / Sage Francis : 'Got Up This Morning' [instrumental] / Mr Dibbs : 'Healthy Serving' / Sebutones : 'Tranquilized Tones' / Weirdo Magnet Track 16 / Cop Shades [acapella] / Buck 65 & Kotep Omegatron : 'Fresh Juice' / Sore / Blood Of A Young Wolf / Square 1 / Diesel Treatment / Sebutones : '05 Pros' / Weirdo Magnet Track 9 / You Know The Science / 65 Buick / On All Fours / Drawing Curtains / 463 / Whitebread / Skill Saw / Memories Of The Passed / Way Back When [acapella] / Dirty Work / The Rebel / Way Back When / Lipstick [acapella] / Lipstick / The Centaur [source music] / Square 1 / Wicked And Weird / Heatwave / Heatwave [acapella] / Red To Black / The Beatific / 1957 / Cop Shades / Heatwave [source music] / Whitebread [acapella]

also - check the new saul williams maybe?

download the LP in 320k MP3 officially for $5...

• uh, slightly related but i have to say i am a huge fan of the interpretive dance battle segments of fox's "So YOu Think YOu Can Dance" you know like where they wear bedsheets and roll around on the floor. some of that stuff is really entertaining.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Actually, I think you do mean Anticon.

It might, if this was a couple of years ago, but it's a while since Anticon released any good (yes, I DO like some Anticon releases). But it doesnt have to be that far-out, I'm just looking for something innovative from this year that doesn't necessarily follow that old boom bap frame. I've heard D??lek, but I'm not very fond of their latest release. The El-P record is okay, but not in his old height. It could be some Madlib/Stones Throw release as well, I'm not very updated on that front.

Please, be open minded people, just throw in everything that pops into your heads.

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    also - check the new saul williams maybe?

That one was very disappointing. He's one of my favorites, but this release was bad (what does that "Blood Sunday" track even do there?).

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    I don't like Mozart.

But let's drop it. I'm sorry if you find it amusing that I'm looking for innovative music. Maybe it was the way I wrote it, I don't know. I'll just throw on some good jazz instead, that's always comforting when I'm bored of rap.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Maybe it was the way I wrote it

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Actually, I have no problems with dancing, it was just an expression (with irony) of my boredom with most hip hop today, because I feel a lot of it is so dance-oriented. True, dance is in the backbone of hip hop, but it's nice to hear something different anyway.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    have ya tried rock music?

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Yes, I listen to some rock. Why?

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    have you ever explored the awesomeness known as wham!?

should be right up your alley

• the homie mr cooper gave a nice beat to sage francis recently if sage is your cuppa. Frickin' sick beat in fact - the instrumental is on the 2600 records compilation Home Entertainment

dalek are dope but horses for courses i guess

busdriver & other blowedians?

personally i'm borderline obsessed with tortoise and their work with buck on secret house against the world is at times truly incredible. d-styles on the cut too...

• bropsbrops 182 Posts
    Sage Francis is alright, or at least his beats often are. Haven't heard the last album yet, though. Been a long time since I've heard anything of Busdriver, and the same goes for Tortoise (that's legend for me). I didn't know they worked with Buck 65, guess I have to listen to that record again.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Sage Francis is alright, or at least his beats often are. Haven't heard the last album yet, though. Been a long time since I've heard anything of Busdriver, and the same goes for Tortoise (that's legend for me). I didn't know they worked with Buck 65, guess I have to listen to that record again.

YOU HAVE THE BEST POSTING/INTERNET VOICE EVAR
    I CAN IMAGINE YOU SITTING ON A FJORD TALKING TO YOURSELF DEBATING THE MERITS OF ANTICON VS THRILL JOCKEY

IT IS EXCELLENT MY FRIEND

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Bump.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    "and all you white suburban kids... try some rock and roll for a change"

• personally i'm borderline obsessed with tortoise

really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise. there are maybe two tracks off of TNT that i like but the rest of their stuff sounds like a combination of smooth jazz & sterile muso prog-rock and is completely forgettable to me. i saw them live too and their performance was completely lifeless as well. it's been a while though since i've heard anything. is there an album you think i should give another listen? i admit i haven't heard anything after Standards.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    personally i'm borderline obsessed with tortoise

really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise. there are maybe two tracks off of TNT that i like but the rest of their stuff sounds like a combination of smooth jazz & sterile muso prog-rock and is completely forgettable to me. i saw them live too and their performance was completely lifeless as well. it's been a while though since i've heard anything. is there an album you think i should give another listen? i admit i haven't heard anything after Standards.

I've never really checked any of their albums, but I though this was kind of cool.

• covecove 1,566 Posts

really? i don't understand the appeal of Tortoise.

Have you listened to "millions now living will never die"?

I really like that album.
    I got seriously blazed last night and had a great time listening to the A side ("djed").

But please, back to the original topic...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

But let's drop it. I'm sorry if you find it amusing that I'm looking for innovative music. Maybe it was the way I wrote it, I don't know. I'll just throw on some good jazz instead, that's always comforting when I'm bored of rap.

I think your definitions of innovative and art might be a little narrow.