Where is the Art?

13»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

What in the hell are you talking about?

Hip hop is founded on 'biting', son. Recognize.

Or, to put it more accurately, hip hop is founded on not biting. Copy and paste producers usually get hung out to dry. This is without even considering the fact that hiphop basically redefined the drum track, and, consequently, the sound of mainstream pop music in general.

Okay, I'm going to stop myself there, because I don't think it was your intention to draw out an argument. I also appreciate the point you were trying to make, and agree to a certain extent that hiphop has flourished, in part, through the use of other people's music. I just thought it was an unfair assessment to say that hiphop is founded on biting, when it is so clearly fueled by innovation and creativity.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts

Or, to put it more accurately, hip hop is founded on not biting. Copy and paste producers usually get hung out to dry. This is without even considering the fact that hiphop basically redefined the drum track, and, consequently, the sound of mainstream pop music in general.

Okay, I'm going to stop myself there, because I don't think it was your intention to draw out an argument. I also appreciate the point you were trying to make, and agree to a certain extent that hiphop has flourished, in part, through the use of other people's music. I just thought it was an unfair assessment to say that hiphop is founded on biting, when it is so clearly fueled by innovation and creativity.

I agree with you. My statement was in response to Luck's critique. Biting is not tolerated in hip hop. Hip Hop relies heavily on the skillful, and artistic amalagamation of many styles. It's about taking tiny pieces from many sources, and it's about hiding where things came from. Blatant rip-off gets you nowhere. The mixture is a crucial thing.