so why do you buy records?

2»

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening

It's these three for me (though I do much less of option B than I used to). I guess there's a bit of the collectro mentality in there as well, but only a bit. I'm not nearly as hardcore about it as other dudes are.

• 1. Low self-esteem
    2. Unhappy in relationship
    3. Peer pressure
    4. Unable to admit to obsessive personality
    5. Easy substitute for solving other real-world issues such as work and self-improvement

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm not nearly as hardcore about it as other dudes are.

The mating call of the truly addicted record collector.

• I always have, always will. Just because I can.

• I like to hear new and interesting things! Listening!

• I like to hear new and interesting things! Listening!

I always have, always will. Just because I can.

Thank you.

Sometimes, between reading Soul Strut and going to record shows, it's easy to forget that some people buy records without any intent to sell, sample or collect. So, to those who still buy records just so they can hear some good music, more power to ya!

This breakbeat shit has got to get old and musty sometime.

• jimeyjimey 279 Posts
    1. Low self-esteem
    3. Peer pressure
    5. Easy substitute for solving other real-world issues such as work and self-improvement

• add: documentation.
    tangible history.
    (preparing for the societal collapse of y2k 2 & propietary binary code is obsolete. )

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

(preparing for the societal collapse of y2k 2 & propietary binary code is obsolete. )

I've used this rationale before. But my pop is still finishing off his Y2K rice and beans, so apparently we are a slow family in general.

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Got the love of music from my mom in pre-teen years. Have collected since Jr. High in the mid-80s. Played in bands, appeared on records, helped put a coule out as well. Enjoy listening, enjoy collecting, enjoy looking at the cover art, enjoy reading about records, etc.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I'm not nearly as hardcore about it as other dudes are.

The mating call of the truly addicted record collector.

Ha! It's like the digger's version of "I'm, like, soooooo drunk right now!"

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    For me it is a mix of everything said including grope's and soulmarcosa's psych (sic) assessments. Djing number one still...

• DongerDonger 854 Posts
    1. Low self-esteem
    3. Peer pressure

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Mostly for the pictures sometimes for the music.

• For the trim.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    For the trim.

you used to tell me it wos for the love

• For the trim.

you used to tell me it wos for the love

This is who I am, and if you can't deal with that and support me then I don't need you in my life

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    For the trim.

"OOOOHhhh u got mad records, oohhh u got Kanye on wax......"

"Where's your bathroom at?"

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    At first, merely presumed most music listened to over the years was typically or exclusively found on vinyl. Having the typical, mainstream music sucks! teenage experience helped further develop that presumption.
    Later, it won the battle into the 21st century proving itself to be the only format for music that didn't get trashed in the car.
    It was also discovered as the only commodity my frivilous spending habit in had also veiled value, a type of luxury my paranoia for irresponsibility was found only comfortable with purchasing slightly larger amounts of pot.

Somewhere though, I got on board for the memories. For a broken home, records provided me a retreat to part of my childhood where an era of sounds delivered enormous power over my sensory perceptions. The aesthetics attributed to vinyl and its days just hit me with an all encompasing feeling of warmth.
    I can only pinpoint and trace it back to a place, chilling by the window, hitting keys on the piano, stretching to reach the foot pedals, to records being played all day on the hi-fi; in the living room, with albums leaned out on the brown rug, in that 2nd floor apartment on the dead end street, that held all the fixtures of that brief experience of a family intact.
    Records are one of the biggest constants known in my life, and it must certainly hold this place of consistency for others though didn't see it mentioned.

And not to be on the sappy or poetic tip either, just more on a meditation that, in wake of every generations penchant to indulge in retro posturing, one can find the depth of that fascination for analog and vintage audibles somewhere in their soul. The task of sampling those pieces of them feels to me like a part of its expression.
    I'm the furthest thing from an audiophile and wield cheap and digital all the time but that feeling and that place...I understand why nobody hauls a rhodes around nowadays when you can play a patch, back in the day my father played drums in a group with a rhodes player who was so good, when I hear the real sound I'm floored and it takes me back.
    I have an affliction for sampled strings from 70s studios because of stimming from records and I know real strings sound better, the difference between sampled strings and real strings to me is just as apparent as a real rhodes and a rhodes patch, the thing is I am in love with the sound of sampled strings thanks to the 70s.
    A rhodes patch totally sounds like shit to me and you ain't taking me to the same place the real thing does. Sampled strings get me feeling it almost more than Grisha himself. So my sources tell me Its gotta be psychological

• a) sampling YYY
    b) djing N
    c) listening YYYY
    d) hoarding/collecting YY
    e) the grip and flip/ebay N (though i do pick up doubles for trade hopefulness)

• 1. Love the music that only exists on vinyl

2. Mixtapes

3. Used to make money off selling but havent been able to lately...long story

4. Never know what to expect on white labels hahah

• i dont..i collect mp3s ..

but also....

a) sampling
    c) listening
    e) the grip and flip/ebay

• whats your motivation for buying records?

a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting
    e) the grip and flip/ebay

i do all of these. like one month im just copping samples, another im building up inventory for ebay.

a) Yep.
    b) Sometimes.
    c) No Doubt.
    d) Yeah, although I have been cutting back quite a bit, and I am becoming a lot more selective. Space is limited, so I can't just go out and buy everything I see.
    e) Yeah sometimes, but that is beginning to be a hassle. I hate eBay/Paypal, but sometimes ya gotta bite the bullet. I don't have air fare to go to Brazil, but I was able to outbid some folks to get that Ana Mazzotti record I always wanted. And sometimes I find a record that I'm not really on too strong, and it goes for cake, so I flip it.