so why do you buy records?

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
whats your motivation for buying records?a) samplingb) djingc) listeningd) hoarding/collectinge) the grip and flip/ebayi do all of these. like one month im just copping samples, another im building up inventory for ebay.

Comments

• a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting
    e) the grip and flip/ebay

a) tbh i don't do that any more and haven't for a long time
    b) see a. these days i just want to play my own shit with the MPC, laptop, bass etc.
    c) MASSIVELY. studying old shit is a major reason. whether it's for arrangements or production styles/techniques or whatever.
    d) i can't front - despite me not needing vinyl to dj with etc. i can't resist needing certain shit on wax
    e) i have a lot of shit i need to ebay but i never - or very rarely - buy things with a mind to sell them straight on

without wishing to seem like a twat, my main reason is inspiration. particularly psyche and prog shit - it's what i want to hear in my own music, basically, and i Frickin' love the music. bottom line is: i Frickin' love music and i need it

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

c) listening

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    whats your motivation for buying records?

a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting

i do all of these. like one month im just copping samples, another im building up inventory for ebay.

a. I bought no more than 4 records for that purpose
    b. Yes.. but that is slowly turning into downloading only.
    c. Yes
    d. collecting yes
    e. tried it once (a sealed Still Bill) and got neutral feedback, never again after that

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

why not.

• c) listening

It used to be for djing, but now its all about the listening.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    These days its all about listening.

And since having children, im buying and listening to a lot more.

Nothing like a little toddler pulling a record and saying "Papa, this one", Then theres the look in their eyes when they watch you put on a record, to a child the whole routine is much more mystical than pushing a button, the way you must handle a record gently, and drop the needle whilst the record spins around... then there is the wait before the music starts.

This is all magic to a child, and in my opinion makes them more respectful of the music itself.

Obviously it is all for nothing if you don't end up dancing around the room with fat grins on your faces.

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    listening, learning, sampling, collecting, having sex to.

• how old are your kids man? i have 4 - my eldest is 10, youngest is 9weeks. my 10yr old daughter loves the MPCs; my 9yr old is learning guitar; my 2yr old daughter loves getting on the tables and messing with vinyl etc. and my 9week old... shit, he's gonna do the lot, he's just letting the others catch some shine in the mean time

how old are your kids man? i have 4 - my eldest is 10, youngest is 9weeks. my 10yr old daughter loves the MPCs; my 9yr old is learning guitar; my 2yr old daughter loves getting on the tables and messing with vinyl etc. and my 9week old... shit, he's gonna do the lot, he's just letting the others catch some shine in the mean time

Damn, someones been busy.

Jack is 2 and a half, Tui is 3 months.

Jack is all about the records, id pulled a bunch of rubbish from the collection and was about to take them down to the flea market a while back and, well, heres what happened when the little fella got his hands on them:

• All of the above!

For me it started with A.
    Then B. & C., started to come up alot more.
    Inevitably D. & E. came along.

I have also caught myself going from genre to genre from week to week...
    One week I'll be looking for funk 45s...The next week it'll be disco 12"s, the next week it'll be psych and rock LPs, gotta keep it versatile!

• haha - aw man, that's great! i have a video on my phone of erin, my 2yr old, cutting it up on the decks. i've never shown her anything, she just watches me and copies. way too cute man - kids are amazing.

• whats your motivation for buying records?

a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting

(c) first & foremost, just like (hopefully) everybody else.

after I acquired a good collection of those vinyl biscuits, then (b) came into play.

as far as (d), I've done that to an EXTENT (I've been known to buy semi-rare Troggs records on Atco, even though I have those same records on Fontana), but in general I try to keep it "music first" without getting bogged down on things like buying things twice because of label variations

ive done (e), too, except ive probably sold more CD's than vinyl. 9 times out of 10, if theres some vinyl im getting rid of, its probably something extra shitty that no one wants, so i just go ahead and toss those.

(a) never really had nothing to do with it

a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting

a) don't sample
    b) I DJ (only vinyl) once or twice a week so I need fresh wax constantly.
    c) first thing I do when I get home is turn on the stereo. I work in a record store where a record is playing all day long
    d) I hoard/collect. gimme gimme gimme.
    e) gotta pay rent

• Jack is 2 and a half, Tui is 3 months.

Jack is all about the records, id pulled a bunch of rubbish from the collection and was about to take them down to the flea market a while back and, well, heres what happened when the little fella got his hands on them:

Ha ha....cute. Looks like Jack treats records the way some strutters of 20+ years of age look after their records....judging by previous photo threads of strutters record collections scattered on their floors.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    I buy records because I want my friends to think that I'm all cool.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I first started collecting because it was cool at the time. I ain't going to lie. But that was like 15 years ago. Since then, I've been through a turntablism phase, some short lived DJ gigs, and now I just collect becuase it's a cheap way to learn about music history and find music that isn't available otherwise. Also, I wake up hella early on Saturday morning and can't sleep because I keep dreaming about pulling gems outta crates and boxes.

I did end up converting a room in my house solely for record listening. I spend way more time here then I ever imagined I would.

Records I like, I keep. Records worth money that I end up not liking I put up on ebay. Worthless records I don't like go in a $1 bin I keep on my floor for friends to go through. What's left I sell as a lot on craigslist for cheap.

I'm surprised no one here has mentioned addiction yet. I think it's a major factor in this thread. I liken it to gambling. Coming home with a good batch of fresh records feels like a high from any other addiction.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    If I'd have spent all my money on drugs and alcohol, I would have died years ago.
    records saved my life!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    If I'd have spent all my money on drugs and alcohol, I would have died years ago.
    records saved my life!

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts

if you give me all your records it will increase our friendship by 150%.plus i will let everybody know taht you are the coolest cat out there.

you going to the record show in ludwigsburg on saturday?

• I buy records because I want my friends to think that I'm all cool.

Hipster!

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    For listening pleasure, and to try to satisfy my addiction.

Peace

can't sleep because I keep dreaming about pulling gems outta crates and boxes.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts

if you give me all your records it will increase our friendship by 150%.plus i will let everybody know taht you are the coolest cat out there.

you going to the record show in ludwigsburg on saturday?

no, i'm saving money for utrecht

check yo pm's

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

hoarding

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    "only" listening at this point -- used to dj but don't anymore.

but i feel like listening can be broken down into so many subsets... obviously, there's the immediate pleasure/relaxation/energization elements but as time goes on I feel like my interest in records (and movies, and literature, and maybe even food) relates as much or more to learning about different places and moments in time and trying to see and hear the world through the eyes and ears of the people who were there.

• 4-5 years ago this would have been
    a)djing / sampling
    b) take that shit to the breaks.com
    c)listening/collecting

Grown ass dude
    a)listening
    b)completing reggae want lists
    c)getting my ass out the house for a few hours and chatting it up with record shop dudes.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I try not to think about it too much.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I try not to think about it too much.

No shit. I get a headache just thinking about thinking about it.

Lately my question is why do I hardly buy records anymore.

a) sampling
    b) djing
    c) listening
    d) hoarding/collecting

e. tried it once (a sealed Still Bill) and got neutral feedback, never again after that

since Still Bill is Still Common, I understand the neutral feedback, but it be's that way sometimes

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    records saved my life!

no joke.

I got pretty deep into drugs and alcohol before I got into records. Now that I'm sober, records are really proving to be my salvation.

without records I would have either been

a) boring

b) a junkie

c) a really boring junkie

Now I'm an exciting former junkie with a erection causing record collection