Strut Radio

the_jthe_j 49 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
There was talk here a good while back about the possibility of getting a Strut internet radio site together. Was there any developments on that? I can pitcure it now.On a related front do you need a liscense to set up an internet radio site a la east village in the states. I'm in Dublin so now doubt rules are slightly different over here.

Comments

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    There was talk here a good while back about the possibility of getting a Strut internet radio site together. Was there any developments on that? I can pitcure it now.

On a related front do you need a liscense to set up an internet radio site a la east village in the states. I'm in Dublin so now doubt rules are slightly different over here.

Well.. I was one of the main dudes pitching a strut stream, but yknow Raj makes da rules. I think a strut radio station would be a real good look, but who's down to host a server for it? That's the real question.

Do you need a license? Nah. The FCC that controls the radio stations don't really care about online radio. People (Riaa) are fighting to control it though, but there is still an ongoing debate on internet radio.

- spidey

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm totally down, but I am strapped for time and resources. if someone wants to take the ball and run with this one with the SS blessing, by all means, please do. Holler on the PM if any one is interested.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    I'm totally down, but I am strapped for time and resources. if someone wants to take the ball and run with this one with the SS blessing, by all means, please do. Holler on the PM if any one is interested.

a streaming radio acompaniement to the strut board would be a major good look and probably raise the record talk...someone...go for it...

i can see it now...mixes handed in by the dozen soft jazz for the morning..creepy psych at night...funk on the weekednd..etc

also insie jokes and shout-outs for dayzzzzzzzzzzz

Yknow, right now I don't have the resources to host a streaming radio station. However I do have a webserver that is sitting empty that I could use.

I have a year paid off with Bluehost that includes:

300 Gigabyte Space
    3,000 GIGS of Transfer

I guess I could read up on something like Andromeda. So that we could just stream mixes direct from my webserver.

I'll look into it, and I'll hit you up Raj.

- spidey

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i can see it now...mixes handed in by the dozen soft jazz for the morning..creepy psych at night...funk on the weekednd..etc

U mean Funk @ Night and Creepy Psych on weekend mornings?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    How does this work? How would one contribute a show?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

U lookin' to have an advice talk show?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

U lookin' to have an advice talk show?

I could do, but I'd rather play records. You need advice?

But seriously, technologically speaking - how does this work?

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    i am getting a major hard-on for this.

• I like.

• i am getting a major hard-on for this.

cosignage...i'd contribute for sure.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    There are plenty of strutters with podcasts/radio shows already. It could be as easy as creating a stream that links all those podcasts together. Folks are welcome to re-podcast Waxing Deep.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

And... dead again.

Seriously it's not hard to set up a streaming server/radio station.

I could set up a test server and if people liked it then it could be taken 'live' and relayed to a hosted server with higher bandwidth that could support discerning strut listeners. For a permanent solution someone with a spare computer and a friendly ISP with decent upstream bandwidth would be needed to be the source of the stream and people would have to chip in 2-5 bucks a month depending on the quality of the stream and number of listeners desired.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts

And... dead again.

I could set up a test server and if people liked it then it could be taken 'live' and relayed to a hosted server with higher bandwidth that could support discerning strut listeners. For a permanent solution someone with a spare computer and a friendly ISP with decent upstream bandwidth would be needed to be the source of the stream and people would have to chip in 2-5 bucks a month depending on the quality of the stream and number of listeners desired.

I would pay $2-5/month just to have the opportunity to listen to it. I don't have a very busy schedule, and could devote some time if necessary. Or I could do an A.D.D. hour with tons of different genres. My musical focus is wide more than it is specialized in any specific area.

• AirAmerica.

• Seriously it's not hard to set up a streaming server/radio station.

I could set up a test server and if people liked it then it could be taken 'live' and relayed to a hosted server with higher bandwidth that could support discerning strut listeners. .

then set it up. it seems once something actually exists, the interest in making be better/more stable/etc will increase. If I knew how to do this ish, I would've already. so let's have a bullshit one now and when people realise that shit can't be bullshit, those that are interested will ensure it won't be bullshit.

• then set it up. it seems once something actually exists, the interest in making be better/more stable/etc will increase. If I knew how to do this ish, I would've already. so let's have a bullshit one now and when people realise that shit can't be bullshit, those that are interested will ensure it won't be bullshit.

• It really is pretty simple. I think you just need the following:

1) Someone hosts a shoutcast server, and
    2) sends the server IP and login credentials to interested parties, who
    3) broadcast from their living rooms with the shoutcast Winamp plugin, while
    4) folks fire up the listen url and feel a little better at work.

Check the documentation on the shoutcast page. Anyone who's a li'l bit tech savvy and can follow directions should be able to get everything up and running in an afternoon.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I could set up a test server and if people liked it then it could be taken 'live' and relayed to a hosted server with higher bandwidth that could support discerning strut listeners. .

then set it up. it seems once something actually exists, the interest in making be better/more stable/etc will increase. If I knew how to do this ish, I would've already. so let's have a bullshit one now and when people realise that shit can't be bullshit, those that are interested will ensure it won't be bullshit.

Alright, I will attempt to set up a bullshit shoutcast server by this Friday.

Stay tuned.

• 8bits8bits 146 Posts
    Strut Radio

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

So will the Wednesday Night Stripper Mix by Jaymack be capable of being streamed live from the booth?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

So will the Wednesday Night Stripper Mix by Jaymack be capable of being streamed live from the booth?

If Jaymack has a computer and the internets in the booth with him - then maybe.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    Like I said, you're welcome to take Waxing Deep and rebroadcast it on the stream. There must be at least four hundred hours of shows available, many strut related: www.waxingdeep.org

Well.. the problem with just running a simple shoutcast server is that It will easily be overtaken by lurkers. Within mentioning the URL you'll probably get 100 listeners. So, it's a bit much to consider how many listeners will want to hear it. I pmed RAJ that I would look into hosting it on my server. He hasn't pmed me back yet.

I'm talking with my host to make sure It's cool with them, and then I'll let you all know.

- spidey

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I'm doubtful this will work first try, but it might.

Here is the server address.. attempt to open this with winamp or other media player:

66.90.147.69:8000

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Well.. the problem with just running a simple shoutcast server is that It will easily be overtaken by lurkers. Within mentioning the URL you'll probably get 100 listeners. So, it's a bit much to consider how many listeners will want to hear it. I pmed RAJ that I would look into hosting it on my server. He hasn't pmed me back yet.

I'm talking with my host to make sure It's cool with them, and then I'll let you all know.

- spidey

You guys have my blessing to run with this!

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    I'm doubtful this will work first try, but it might.

Here is the server address.. attempt to open this with winamp or other media player:

It works from my living room.

Someone try and hit it up and post if it works. The suspense is killing me.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    How exactly do you access it??

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    copy and paste address of numbers into browser.

Works for me.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Yeah, if you use winamp you can hit CTRL-L to open location and paste the numbers in.

Windows media player has something similar. Itunes and other media players should have it as well.

Open all nite, international strutters, give it a go.