Strut Radio

2»

Comments

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    bump

Ok, now what? This is the first step.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    ok ctrl u in itunes, looks like it might be blocked at my work though, will try when i am home

• couldn't access it, but I'm on a mac and don't really know how to jump this ish off.....

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    couldn't access it, but I'm on a mac and don't really know how to jump this ish off.....

Sorry, I think my wife turned off the computer today.

I guess that's why a permanent server needs a permanent home, like spidey says maybe he has a spot in a corporate environment or server farm or something.

It is back up and running right now, it would be good if a few more people checked it out and determined it was working correctly and also commented on the sound quality through headphones or speakers.

66.90.147.69:8000

Mac should be no diff than PC, with itunes:
    1. Open iTunes.
    2. Go to Advanced >> Open Stream
    3. copy/paste server IP address

Next steps:

A. Decide if this is REALLY something people would listen to. It would take a lot of work to put good content together, which can be fun, but without listeners it eventually becomes meaningless.

B. Decide on a programming format... in the past thread 'shows' were discussed. Standard radio format seems best and easiest as opposed to say random people trying to broadcast different things or live content at random times. People could sign up to provide x hours of content per day, per week, per month. The content would probably repeat for a week or so and then get changed out. Maybe soul strut elders could get better time slots or maybe people would donate money for better time slots. OR, maybe the programs should rotate so that one day the 'prime time' programming would be prime time in the USA, the next day it would be in the UK, ETC. I'm pretty sure there won't really be any bad programming, so it's not a big issue.

One admin would take all the collected content from everyone and put it together on the server and stream it to the relay server and then change it out each week as people send their new desired content (which could be an old mix tape, an old podcast, radio show, or just batch of mp3s).

C. Purchase some bandwidth on a hosted server that hosts streams. This is the only way to get high quality streaming unless someone has an amazingly fat upstream connection to the internet that they can afford to have totally obliterated by high quality music streaming to dozens of people.

D. Find a reliable server machine with decent upstream bandwidth for the stream going to the relay server and a place to put it (again, ball in Spidey's court for now). Just about any old computer will work, the main thing is that it not freeze up or get turned off or being used for other purposes while running.

Discuss

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    I agree with all of your suggestions.

Is their a consensus on doing this? Probably. It looks good on paper, but can it stand the length of time. We need the programming by individuals who are willing; otherwise it will just turn into a shuffle of old mixes if not utilized to its advantage.

Is a moderator willing to take on another task?

The pieces are all laying in front of us. Can we put them all together and make sure it sticks together? Sure.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just checked the stream at http://66.90.147.69:8000 and it's working fine for me here - sound quality is decent enough as well.

Time is always going to be an issue but I would be interested in putting together an hour of content here or there.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I'm down for several things:

1. Providing my own show
    2. Promoting the Strut Radio
    3. Asking for Strut Radio donations to provide $$$ for bandwidth.

I would listen to this all day long.

• Is anyone else having problems with the stream? For me it plays for 36 sec then stops all of a sudden.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Is anyone else having problems with the stream? For me it plays for 36 sec then stops all of a sudden.

I listened from work today for a few hours. PM me if you want to troubleshoot.
    Include OS, player you are using, type of connection, etc.

Does anyone know of a recommended / affordable streaming host?
    Some of you guys have radio shows on SCION radio (?) I wonder who they use.

I found one before, but it was so long ago I can't find a trace of it even in gmail archives. I'll be looking but if someone has a hook up...

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Okay... so, I talked to tech support this morning. He said they don't allow streaming content through there host though they do serve at speeds that would rival a home pc as server. They can't allow sever spikes, and will terminate the account if we do it anyway. He reccomended Loudcity or Live365 as an alternative.

So that option is gone.

I guess we should go ahead, and continue with the shoutcast thing. Get it a little bit more organized, and start filling it with strut related content.

I'm going to look into a couple of other methods, and I'll be back soon.

As of now, the stream isn't working for me.

- spidey

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts
    Okay... so, I talked to tech support this morning. He said they don't allow streaming content through there host though they do serve at speeds that would rival a home pc as server. They can't allow sever spikes, and will terminate the account if we do it anyway. He reccomended Loudcity or Live365 as an alternative.

So that option is gone.

I guess we should go ahead, and continue with the shoutcast thing. Get it a little bit more organized, and start filling it with strut related content.

I'm going to look into a couple of other methods, and I'll be back soon.

As of now, the stream isn't working for me.

- spidey

Like.. RIGHT now? Weird. Try it now.
    66.90.147.69:8000

Here are some streaming options from Loudcity's page

http://www.loudcity.net/broadcasting_stream_hosts.html

• Is anyone else having problems with the stream? For me it plays for 36 sec then stops all of a sudden.

I listened from work today for a few hours. PM me if you want to troubleshoot.
    Include OS, player you are using, type of connection, etc.

Thanks. I think I'm ok now. It's been running fine for a good 20 minutes for me without a problem so far.

I was just able to connect. However for maybe an hour I could not. Where are you located?

- spidey

• I was just able to connect. However for maybe an hour I could not. Where are you located?

- spidey

I'm in Jersey.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Can this be done on an international level?

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

Yes.

OK Back to steps...

A. - computer and internet. Spidey doesn't have a connect. I can provide the computer and connection to the net 24/7 but I can't do it gratis. I would need about $35 a month for the electricity, time spent administrating, and ISP fees. If someone does want to volunteer a computer and connection for nothing, please do.

B. - Streaming host. Looks like it is $2-$3 per person per month for a top quality stream (128kbs) or $1-$2 for a medium to high quality stream (56kbs to 96 kbs).
    I'm not entirely sure if it should be a private station or public - if public - I don't know how you could make people pay but I would imagine there will be leftover bandwidth for slots for people to listen for free with donations being encouraged. Or it might be completely private.

Bottom line looks like $5 for a month of strut radio per listener.

C. - Content - who wants to sign up to provide content for the stream? I would recommend signing up for 1-3 hours of content per a 2 week period of time. I would guess there would be about 24 hours to 72 hours of actual programming that would repeat for 2 weeks or so and then be replaced by new programming. Maybe more, maybe less, don't know how many people want to contribute.

OK

Another roll call, please post w answer

A. I am ok with Zach being admin and providing computer/internet connection or I would like to provide system and admin it.
    B. I would pay at least $5 a month for strut radio
    C. I would like to provide X hours of content for strut radio

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    A. Zach for pres.
    B. I'm feeling rich.
    C. You have my show. I'm not able to programme anything more.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts

I don't know about paying 5 dollars. Every other radio station on the net is free. I know there is overhead to be paid, but the masses are not going to pay for it. sayin'.

• ZachDZachD 318 Posts

I don't know about paying 5 dollars. Every other radio station on the net is free. I know there is overhead to be paid, but the masses are not going to pay for it. sayin'.

Nothing is free....someone is paying for the bandwidth and streams. Live365 is cheaper but you have to have commercials and the stream quality is not up there.

I dunno, doesn't seems like this thing really has legs at this point free or not.

• I dunno, doesn't seems like this thing really has legs at this point free or not.

Sure seems that way.

Well, again.. We CAN pay for hosting, but it would have to be Donation based. Maybe we can setup some kind of Strut Radio Drive, and put the proceeds to a hosting site like Streamguys.

This could work because no one person would be responsible for the radio station.

Nobody has to physically have winamp running or a dedicated server wasting there own internet bandwidth.

- spidey