males covering songs made famous by females

djsoulfeverdjsoulfever 39 Posts
edited November 2007 in Strut Central
For instance, feel like makin love covered by dangelo, bob james, etc. there's some males doing rocksteady. what else is out there?have any males covered any minnie riperton classics?

Comments

• Reggae version of Evelyn King's "Love Come Down" by Barry Biggs. It's alright.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    that Dolly Parton song that the White Stripes covered. I cant recall the name

• Jolene.

• The Beatles did a few on their early LP's. Chains, Please Mr Postman and others that I can't think of right now.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Jolene.

the Sisters of Mercy useta do that tune as well - wouldn't surprise me if that's where the White Stripes picked up on it.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    james knight - save me????

actually i dont know who did the original, i know nina simone and wanda davis have covers, so i assumed it was originally done by a women (two women against one male cover?)

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Maxwell - Woman Work-Kate Bush
    Otis Redding - Respect...Aretha Franklin........

• JRootJRoot 861 Posts
    Stand By Your Man - Lyle Lovett

• Al B. Sure - "Killing Me Softly"

• Flaming Lips did I Can't Get You Out of My Head
    I think Mark Ronson had Ol' Dirty Bastard and Tiggers on his cover of Toxic

• Prince covered What if God Was One of Us by whatever chick did that terrible song.

• Soft Cell "Tainted Love"

• Prince covered What if God Was One of Us by whatever chick did that terrible song.

haha, its a joan osbourne track

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Prince covered What if God Was One of Us by whatever chick did that terrible song.

haha, its a joan osbourne track

I actually liked the tone of the guitar in the original song at the time.

But those lyrics. Oh, my. They give Dolores O'Riordan a run for her money.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Jolene.

the Sisters of Mercy useta do that tune as well - wouldn't surprise me if that's where the White Stripes picked up on it.

Yeah, cause the White Stripes aren't hip to roots & country music

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    The most famous would probably be "Both Sides Now" (Joni Mitchell ---> Neil Diamond and others) and "Can't Get Enough Of You, Baby" (Toys --> ? and the Mysterians). The Isleys do an excellent "It's Too Late", as well.

• girgir 329 Posts
    the soul searchers - "think"
    type o negative - "baby one more time"

The Isleys do an excellent "It's Too Late", as well.

There's gotta be a gang of Carole King songs covered by Soul dudes.

And is Walk On By a Dionne Warrick song or did Burt sing it before her? If so Issac Hayes version...

• There's gotta be a gang of Carole King songs covered by Soul dudes.

And is Walk On By a Dionne Warrick song or did Burt sing it before her? If so Issac Hayes version...

Burt doesn't really do much singing, his solo LP's were mainly instrumentals. Dionne's would be the first release of the song.

Speaking of Carole King....You've Got A Friend - James Taylor.

Joni Mitchell - Woodstock....covered by CSN&Y and Mathews Southern Comfort... although I'm not sure Joni's version would have been widely known to the public prior to the male covers?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Jolene.

Yeah, cause the White Stripes aren't hip to roots & country music

have you seen a picture of the White Stripes?!!?

you think they don't have gothic skeletons in the closet?!!?

There's gotta be a gang of Carole King songs covered by Soul dudes.

Burt doesn't really do much singing, his solo LP's were mainly instrumentals. Dionne's would be the first release of the song.

Speaking of Carole King....You've Got A Friend - James Taylor.

Micheal Jackson - Youve Got A Friend

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Les McCann - Compared to What

• Luther Vandross "Superstar"

• The Hollies covered "Stop In The Name Of Love" when they tried for a comeback in the mid-80's

Little Caesar (who were signed to DGC) covered Aretha Franklin's "Chain Of Fools"

Slick briefly covering Diana Ross's "Theme From Mahogany"

Frankie Goes To Hollywood covering Dionne Warwick's "Do You Know The Way To San Jose"

Grand Funk Railroad covering Little Eva's "The Loco-Motion"

Bad Manners' covering "My Boy Lollipop" and turning it into "My Girl Lollipop"

Aerosmith covering "Remember (Walking In The Sand)" by The Shangri-La's.

"Someday My Prince Will Come" has been covered by a lot of jazz artists, Miles Davis comes to mind

The Blues Brothers covered Tammy Wynette's "Stand By Your Man"

While The Vaselines were a male/female duo, Nirvana covered "Molly's Lips", the lead vocal of which was by Frances McKee

The Supersuckers covered Dickless' "Saddle Tramp"

There was also a Carpenters tribute album, If I Were A Carpenter[/b], and that one had Thurston Moore/Sonic Youth singing "Superstar" and Grand Lee Buffalo doing "We've Only Just Begun".