i got sampled!

13»

Comments

• RaystarRaystar 1,106 Posts
    ...totally ripped my "chicago"...straight jacked! oh well...

I see why, "Chicago" is bangin'

• Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

its all about sample karma, ako would not like to get sued or pursued on sample issues so the dude should not step up either... besides its great credit to actually get sampled when you work with samples yourself to create music, as long as its from something you put out, would not be cool to get your unreleased beats (whatever) sampled..!

Dude nobody's ever going to sue Ako for using samples... unless he reaches some mass media level of exposure at which point he'll be able to clear them.

To me there is a big difference between sampling drums or bass hits and ripping off someone's finished composition... especially when it's being sold by and marketed to the same people.

yeah, ako, dj day or anybody else out here working with samples might blow up and yes they could easily get legal problems due to samples used

and no, their label whether big or small would most likely not pay for any clearance what so ever even though they sold a lot of records...

Well, most times sample clearance comes out of the producer's check anyway. So I'm not sure what you mean.

My point was that, if Ako (or Day) ever gets to a point of commercial exposure that they are required to clear samples, he will have the means to do so. And - with all due respect to both dudes, they're both really talented - the only thing I think would get either to that point would be something like a television commercial or a major label album placement. You can cross those bridges when you get there. Do you really think anyone is getting sued over an independently pressed instrumental hip-hop 12"?

Dude should stand up for his work. Jazzman wouldn't press a record like that if they knew it was ripped off from another person's material.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    There are probably 20 billion backpackers out there that would love this track. Controversy sells sometimes. "CHICAGO" by A-KO KICKS ASS. PLEASE KEEP MAKING DOPE INSTRUMENTAL BEATS LIKE THIS.

• You NEED to contact Jazzman Records and let them know the situation, but use it as a promotional opportunity to get remix work from them. You don't even need to frame it as a threat, more of a "I'm obviously the guy you're looking for, not this other herb." Why should DJ Tib be getting jobs when your beats are clearly superior enough for dude to jack them?

I understand you don't want to bring about some bad sample karma, but standing up for yourself in this situation could pay dividends in advancing your career as a beat maker.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    You NEED to contact Jazzman Records and let them know the situation, but use it as a promotional opportunity to get remix work from them. You don't even need to frame it as a threat, more of a "I'm obviously the guy you're looking for, not this other herb." [/b]
    Why should DJ Tib be getting jobs when your beats are clearly superior enough for dude to jack them?

YES

And JP I feel what you're saying 100%

• That fool has probably read this thread. I am sure if he doesnt lurk on here, one of his boys does.

Speak up, Tibby.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    he must have messaged me about it, which i can believe...i dont reply to half the stuff i get on myspace (since i rarely check it)...a message from him today:

Hope you're cool about it. You're chicago is the hammer! I wrote you also a message on myspace when we got friends...
    but i think you didn't answer..
    Cheers from Italy
    D.T.
    [/b]

seems like a nice guy, and im a nice guy. fuck. you guys be in charge of this for me!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

And did Andy Smith Geoff Barrow step to StonesThrow after Dilla jacked his Charlies Theme?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    he must have messaged me about it, which i can believe...i dont reply to half the stuff i get on myspace (since i rarely check it)...a message from him today:

Hope you're cool about it. You're chicago is the hammer! I wrote you also a message on myspace when we got friends...
    Cheers from Italy
    D.T.
    [/b]

seems like a nice guy, and im a nice guy. fuck. you guys be in charge of this for me!

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

its all about sample karma, ako would not like to get sued or pursued on sample issues so the dude should not step up either... besides its great credit to actually get sampled when you work with samples yourself to create music, as long as its from something you put out, would not be cool to get your unreleased beats (whatever) sampled..!

Dude nobody's ever going to sue Ako for using samples... unless he reaches some mass media level of exposure at which point he'll be able to clear them.

To me there is a big difference between sampling drums or bass hits and ripping off someone's finished composition... especially when it's being sold by and marketed to the same people.

yeah, ako, dj day or anybody else out here working with samples might blow up and yes they could easily get legal problems due to samples used

and no, their label whether big or small would most likely not pay for any clearance what so ever even though they sold a lot of records...

Well, most times sample clearance comes out of the producer's check anyway. So I'm not sure what you mean.

My point was that, if Ako (or Day) ever gets to a point of commercial exposure that they are required to clear samples, he will have the means to do so. And - with all due respect to both dudes, they're both really talented - the only thing I think would get either to that point would be something like a television commercial or a major label album placement. You can cross those bridges when you get there. Do you really think anyone is getting sued over an independently pressed instrumental hip-hop 12"?

probably not, but he might wind up producing tracks for some major pop group that wants something different for their next album, i recently had a experience like that with universal london, the opportunity sorta came outta nowhere, but my track ended up getting pulled because of sample reasons...

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    You NEED to contact Jazzman Records and let them know the situation, but use it as a promotional opportunity to get remix work from them. You don't even need to frame it as a threat, more of a "I'm obviously the guy you're looking for, not this other herb." [/b]
    Why should DJ Tib be getting jobs when your beats are clearly superior enough for dude to jack them?

YES

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Ako, dude, not the time to be Mr. Nice Guy and brush this off. This dude's beat blows, and if he made it having already heard yours, he is a jerk and should know that yours is unfuckwithable. As others have said, get in touch with Jazzman ASAP - but just don't talk with this Italian dude - leave him out of the equation and let the Jazzman do the right thing here.

As always though,

i e-mailed olski telling him about the situation, seems like he is taking some sort of action! i just dont want this shit getting personal. this guy can do his thing but some of the things said in this thread are giving it a whole different perspective i hadnt even considered. thanks guys for opening my eyes a little bit wider. i guess now we wait and see what happens!

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts

YES

Great advice.

And JP I feel what you're saying 100%

Yup.

Looking forward to hearing how this pans out.

• wooshiewooshie 490 Posts
    let olski handle it but these should be your demands,

a) the record should be pulled, it can be released, but only if you have a credit on the sleeve, and the record itself.

b) you require no royalties or profit. only a promise of a future release, 12 inch or 45, whatever. your choice.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    more people need to refer to songs they like/want to rip-off as THE HAMMER.

• he must have messaged me about it, which i can believe...i dont reply to half the stuff i get on myspace (since i rarely check it)...a message from him today:

Cheers from Italy
    D.T.
    [/b]

Ha, the sarcasm in your post on his MySpace went straight over that dude's head.

You now have a new beatmaking buddy!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Do you really think anyone is getting sued over an independently pressed instrumental hip-hop 12"?

Yes, JP. I know for a fact that that happened. But not sued from a big player, but a rather small independent label as well that owned the rights to the sample in question tried to sue the label directly, not the artist. They agreed outside of court though. But yeah, it does happen. Moneygrabbers lurkin everywhere.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    My friend knows Jazzman, I can pass the word to him and he can pass it along if you'd like. It's only the one side that's the issue too.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    more people need to refer to songs they like/want to rip-off as THE HAMMER

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Dudes.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    THE HAMMER

Graemlin alert!

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    AKO, I think you are handling it fine. Its a victimless crime anyways. If you've learned anything out of this, its that the title of your next track needs to be "THE HAMMER".

AKO, I think you are handling it fine. Its a victimless crime anyways. If you've learned anything out of this, its that the title of your next track needs to be "THE HAMMER".

DONE AND DONE