i got sampled!

Comments

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Wow... that is a blatant rip of your track and an awful, awful edit/mashup/whatever of the great, great Willie Wright track.

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    Wow... that is a blatant rip of your track and an awful, awful edit/mashup/whatever of the great, great Willie Wright track.

after hearing it now on better speakers, i really have no idea why he would sample my track for this...the bass is in an entirely different key. no offense to anybody but how did this make it to vinyl? some beatmakers today REALLY need to learn some things about music theory. maybe i should be offended!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i love it i must admit. AKO tune is real good, a great beat, but more of a cut'n'paste b boy type thing. the jazzman tune is a totally different vibe. they would actually probably go good back to back??

youre missing the point here.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

after hearing it now on better speakers, i really have no idea why he would sample my track for this...the bass is in an entirely different key. no offense to anybody but how did this make it to vinyl? some beatmakers today REALLY need to learn some things about music theory. maybe i should be offended!

Maybe you should email soemone at Jazzman and alert them to the situation. They might pull the release or something.

Maybe you should email soemone at Jazzman and alert them to the situation. They might pull the release or something.

im just not sure how i feel about it all yet. being somebody who uses entirely samples, theres a moral dilemma here. i'd hate for somebody to come running after me for sampling them, so i wouldnt want to become somebody who does just that. i think i'll just leave it be. the usage is wack, and he's a friend of mine on myspace yet didnt feel the need to ask to sample me...i guess some people are one way and some people another.

i'll just leave the situation alone. i mean theres no contest which track came first, so if somebody hears both, its not like they'd think im biting him. thats what counts. mine came first. case closed. hahaha

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

im just not sure how i feel about it all yet. being somebody who uses entirely samples, theres a moral dilemma here. i'd hate for somebody to come running after me for sampling them, so i wouldnt want to become somebody who does just that. i think i'll just leave it be. the usage is wack, and he's a friend of mine on myspace yet didnt feel the need to ask to sample me...i guess some people are one way and some people another.

i'll just leave the situation alone. i mean theres no contest which track came first, so if somebody hears both, its not like they'd think im biting him. thats what counts. mine came first. case closed. hahaha

GO DIZZYBULL STYLE ON THOSE MUPPETS!!!

For real, if the crappy mashup is an attempt to cross promote sales to the crappy mashup crowd, you should at least be first inline to make said crappy mashup next time round. Then you could tour Europe and you're like old enough to drink there and everything!

I hear you Ako.

But yeah, for me, there's a world of difference between taking peices of other people's music and weaving them together brilliantly, and taking a chunk of sample-based music as your own and wacking it on-top of another peice of recorded music... and producing something that's shit.

I'm looking forward to some myspace shananigans!

I hear you Ako.

But yeah, for me, there's a world of difference between taking peices of other people's music and weaving them together brilliantly, and taking a chunk of sample-based music as your own and wacking it on-top of another peice of recorded music... and producing something that's shit.

you could say i take A, B, C and D and make it into X. he took X and made it into X--.

you could say i take A, B, C and D and make it into X. he took X and made it into CRAP.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Labcabin:

If that's too rich for you, check out the wonderful DJ Tibb version(2) on the flip that adds some DJ Shadow-style drums and some unexpected, creative edits. Heat!

• Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

its all about sample karma, ako would not like to get sued or pursued on sample issues so the dude should not step up either... besides its great credit to actually get sampled when you work with samples yourself to create music, as long as its from something you put out, would not be cool to get your unreleased beats (whatever) sampled..!

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I'd let him know you're onto him, and send Jazzman some new stuff with a letter.

Seriously though, why would someone release his mess on vinyl?

• yeah, just rest easy knowing that

As mentioned above, you should be honored. I'm sure it was a shock at first, but after awhile you probably won't even care and you'll find it funny. You can also say that you've been sampled. Add that to the list of things you tell your kids when you show them your musical accomplishments.

• Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

its all about sample karma, ako would not like to get sued or pursued on sample issues so the dude should not step up either... besides its great credit to actually get sampled when you work with samples yourself to create music, as long as its from something you put out, would not be cool to get your unreleased beats (whatever) sampled..!

Dude nobody's ever going to sue Ako for using samples... unless he reaches some mass media level of exposure at which point he'll be able to clear them.

To me there is a big difference between sampling drums or bass hits and ripping off someone's finished composition... especially when it's being sold by and marketed to the same people.

• kicks79kicks79 1,334 Posts
    What you need to do is hit up jazzman and let them know whats up. Get them to pull the record. But before you do buy up as many copies as possible. Then when the record is pulled sling them on the bay as raer heaters that got pulled due to sample clearance. Easy, problem solved...

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    it's frickin' wack. trying to pass off the work of a contemporary as his own. nothin' worse then biters faking the funk.

• Ako

Oct 25 2007 12:36 AM

nice job sampling my record...

• Options
    Add that shit to thebreaks.com.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    What you need to do is hit up jazzman and let them know whats up. Get them to pull the record. But before you do buy up as many copies as possible. Then when the record is pulled sling them on the bay as raer heaters that got pulled due to sample clearance. Easy, problem solved...

hahahahah

JACKIN FOR BEATS!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    it's frickin' wack. trying to pass off the work of a contemporary as his own. nothin' worse then biters faking the funk.

Seriously a-ko. You got straight up jacked man. If it were me I'd be pissed.

- spidey

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Take it as a compliment and move on....

Send dude a comment on his MySpace.."Hey Bro,,nice track" ....and leave it at that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    Take it as a compliment and move on....

Send dude a comment on his MySpace.."Hey Bro,,nice track" ....and leave it at that.

Oddly enough, wasnt it Jazzman or Phillip Lehman who sued DJ Vadim after he sampled one of their 'new' funk 45 releases?

And did Andy Smith step to StonesThrow after Dilla jacked his Charlies Theme? probably not.

it can go either way man. Personally, I think you will gain more respect by shaking it off.

• It was Lehmann who sued Ninja Tunes if I remember correctly for sampling one of their recordings. Lehmann once said in an interview that he threatened Ninja Tunes with finding every copyright holder to make them aware of being sampled if Ninja Tunes didn't pay up.

They did pay according to Philippe.

Peace,

Dress

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts

• dayday 9,611 Posts

Ha! No doubt.

btw - Holiday = Deep Sang?

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    btw - Holiday = Deep Sang?

Guilty

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Yeah man, you know, you should step up and take your credit.

Dude nobody's ever going to sue Ako for using samples... unless he reaches some mass media level of exposure at which point he'll be able to clear them.

To me there is a big difference between sampling drums or bass hits and ripping off someone's finished composition... especially when it's being sold by and marketed to the same people.

yeah, ako, dj day or anybody else out here working with samples might blow up and yes they could easily get legal problems due to samples used

and no, their label whether big or small would most likely not pay for any clearance what so ever even though they sold a lot of records...

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Cheeky motherfuckers.

Nice drums bro.