SOCAL FIRE CHECK IN

GaryGary 3,982 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Everybody doing OK?I'm fine. Anna and JimBeam should be fine.Everybody else check in please. Let us know if you need anything.

Comments

• I'm okay here at home. I got the car packed, ready to go.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I'm okay here at home. I got the car packed, ready to go.

Well, if you need somewhere to go we got an air mattress and cable tv.

• Well, if you need somewhere to go we got an air mattress and cable tv.

Thanks, very much appreciated...

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Well, if you need somewhere to go we got an air mattress and cable tv.

Thanks, very much appreciated...

Come down to Austin for the weekend and get away from that mess.....Hoover's is waiting!!

• Damn, the fire situation looks crazy out there. I'm having flashbacks to the Heyman fires out here in the CO mountains a few years back. Of course, there weren't nearly as many homes in the pathway of those fires. Keep your sprinklers on, SoCal, and good luck. I hope the winds die down today. Insurance companies are probably going nuts right now.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    Insurance companies are probably going nuts right now.
    Or checking that fine print very very carefully.

• Insurance companies are probably going nuts right now.
    Or checking that fine print very very carefully.

How much do you want to bet they'll try to classify wind-driven fires as "wind damage"

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'm cool, fams cool. Work is a ghost town.

• asprinasprin 1,765 Posts
    I'm good, my sister in SD is good for now. Keep them fingers crossed folkers.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    yeah- i'm good. my place is in no danger. me and the cousin are gonna load up his vehicle w/ bagged ice and bring it to qualcomm now, they were requesting ice this morning, I guess they're having trouble keeping food and liquids chilled for that many ppl down there. It's kind of a mess around the stadium right now. I'll try and snap some photos if I get a minute.

SD strutters can hit me on the PM if they need a hookup on a floor to crash on. I know that's not the best offer, but I'm about out of space right now. I'll check the PM's early evening ish, don't forget to leave a phone number.

stay safe folls.

• you know whats crazy? its like 100 degrees and overcast and feels oddly like earthquake weather today. and my asthma is really bad today.

• my asthma is really bad today.

My wife's too. It's pretty bad out there for anybody with breathing trouble. Even in long beach there's ash in the air.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    anybody been in contact with Lakan?

Hopefully dude is ok

• anybody been in contact with Lakan?

Hopefully dude is ok

I spoke to him yesterday, he is out of harms way up in Temecula.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    Ugh. This shit just doesn't stop.

NEW: POOR AIR QUALITY CONTINUES
    6:48 a.m. - Unhealthy air quality conditions are expected to get much worse, before they get better. Health officials say smoke and ash are expected to continue to accumulate across the county, which means we may not be breathing any good air until sometime this weekend. However, once the winds shift Thursday, an onslaught of polluted air could be sent back over the coast. PLEASE NOTE: Prolonged exposure to unhealthy air could lead to respiratory, vision and other health problems.

• I heard on the news the evacuee taley is up to a million people now??? That 's fuckin' insane. Over 1000 houses burned ot the ground. That's sad to hear. I'm glad nobody here has been reprtedly harmed by the fires. Hopefully it will stay that way. I know they sent a bunch of water planes out from the Air Force Base in Colorado Srpigns to help yesterday. It's kinda crazy how that muc hshit is on fire right next to the largest body of water on earth.

• You knew it was gonna happen... this morning Fox News claimed that this could be the result of a terrorist plot!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    You knew it was gonna happen... this morning Fox News claimed that this could be the result of a terrorist plot!

tell me your kidding...

last night we walked to the bay smoked blunts & watched the santiago fire burn & when it came over the ridge it was nuts you could just see flames for days

I don't even know what started all this shit

• I thought there was at least one death so far. That is what my local talk radio reported a few days ago, at least..?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Santa Ana winds are a beast...Those old power lines get knocked down all the time....But when the brush is nasty and the winds are full speed ...its a wrap......Those homeowners should have to pay a tax to keep that brush under control.

major disaster declaration..... :5pager:

• Santa Ana winds are a beast...
    ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE CONTROLED BY AL-QUEDA!

• Santa Ana winds are a beast...
    ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE CONTROLED BY AL-QUEDA!

Cobra weather control, someone call Snowjob.

• GaryGary 3,982 Posts
    I love fox news.... I'm supposing they didn't add that the local Mosque is providing shelter for evacuees just to make that story, uh fair and, uh, balanced...?

Its hot as fuck outside today.

I think there has been only 2 deaths so far, which is better than 4 years ago, which by this time there had been 17 I think. George Bush is coming to town tonight, but the last thing we need right now is more hot air. SANTA ANA WINDS JOKE! HELLO!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Man. Sad stuff to watch.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    You knew it was gonna happen... this morning Fox News claimed that this could be the result of a terrorist plot!

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/10/24/fox-news-al-qaeda-is-causing-the-ca-wildires/

• Wouldn't it make more sense for terrorists to start fires, uh, near PEOPLE? Not, you know, in the middle of the wilderness?

• Sad stuff. I feel mad lucky living in the city right now.

• Hope y'all are doing ok. Been checking in on the news quite a bit.

Keep ya' heads up.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I just got back from qualcomm stadium. I have been there today unloading trucks and serving food. I have to say, for all the disarray and general hectic nature of an improvised evacuee shelter situation, it is incredible to see so many people donating time and energy in an effort to make it as comfortable as possible for those in need. Props to any of the other volunteers out there, you're doing good work.

Also- just over the course of the time I was working out there, many areas that were evacuated were reopened to residents throughout the city and county, there was noticeably far fewer people still stuck at the stadium when I left than when I got there, which is good to see.

stay safe, san diegans.