Reggae soul covers? (RR)

Comments

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• Hmm...considering the (lame) racist remarks he keeps throwing at Reynaldo, I figured him for a different kind of skinhead.

• Hmm...considering the (lame) racist remarks he keeps throwing at Reynaldo, I figured him for a different kind of skinhead.

wow. tame in comparison to what i've seen on here.

didn't that one white boy call someone a nigger on here not too long ago?

forget who it was but he called some rapper dude a nigger and mods were on some turn the other cheek shit.

• this is why i raerly go past page 2 ,,
    wen u click on a thred ,.and the last page has a picture
    of some metal rockar skinhedd in a reggae soul threed
    u kno u maed the ryte move,...

now people are fightin over comps?
    not everyone holds the same opinion on a comp,
    its just common knowelage ,.
    either u like how its compiled or u dont, no need to dweel or akt harghd

well to divert some of the attetnion ;

i really like
    horace andy - aint no sunshine

• what the hell is going on in the back with the dude in the sweater vest and glasses?!!??!!

• Please show me where I called for you to be banned.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Damn.
    Some people dropped some good tracks & some knowledge and then the thread went to shit.

I have massive amounts of respect for people behind great comps. Dudes like Sipreano have done amazing jobs on projects.

Any chance of getting back on the music? Should I just wait for 6 months until someone starts another thread?

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    a picture

~~SKINHEAD~~

• akt harghd

Dude, you're making me[/b] cringe at your spelling.

• As this is not a reggae board (takethatshittobloodandfire.com, son!) I think the boasting is a bit misplaced.

For those of you who don't want to go to Kingston to find dope reggae, contrary to the man's assertions, there are plenty of reliable people to buy it from.

Cats like Jeremy at Deadly Dragon, the aforementioned recordlikedirt, me, Rob at TSL, Wheelandturn, Soulheaven, or so many other dealers and stores that have the goods.

Anyways... back to the music

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

Some other nice ones are Prince Buster's Dark St. (Dark End of the Street), Bitty McLean's Walk Away from Love and I can't remember the artist right now - I'll check when I get home and I'm pretty sure it's on Impact - but there is a nice version of Jay McNeely's There is Something On Your Mind. I LOVE the original of that song too.

And though it might sound like a recipe for cheese disaster, Shinehead's version of Billie Jean is amazing!

• Yeah the Shinehead 12" has a flip which uses the same rhythm but he sings Junior's "Mama Used To Say" over it. Killer record... it sells out every time no matter how many copies I turn up.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    a picture

~~SKINHEAD~~

Well myeah but not many of them hanging out on West Pico is there?

PASTA RUDEBWOYS? It's funny how people who do driveby rants on Soulstrut usually start running their mouths about how real and connected their friends are. Yeah tough guy, I have friends who are too cool to hang on the strut as well

Anyway, back to the music...

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I'm pretty sure it's on Impact

That reminds me - Big Youth - Mindblowing Decisions is nice.

Also, I was gonna post the 54-46 cover of Clean up Woman but sometimes I think it kind of blows. Otis Funkmeyer's version is way better

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

• my reggae-soul cover story...we got a 45 in of a rocksteady version of "After Laughter" (the artist was Fred and Earnest, I think, shingaling scooped it)...Wendy Rene's brother comes in all the damn time and bugs the shit outta of us, but I digress, anyway when he was in the shop one day I played it for him and he gets this confused look on his face and starts saying "thats my sister's song, that's my sister's song!" Then he asks, "Where is that from" "Jamaica" I tell him...then he says "where is that city? Africa?" I told him it was an island in the Caribbean and he pondered again, "Africa? right?"

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Some other nice ones are Prince Buster's Dark St. (Dark End of the Street), Bitty McLean's Walk Away from Love and I can't remember the artist right now - I'll check when I get home and I'm pretty sure it's on Impact - but there is a nice version of Jay McNeely's There is Something On Your Mind. I LOVE the original of that song too.

And though it might sound like a recipe for cheese disaster, Shinehead's version of Billie Jean is amazing!

Interesting... I'm going to seek out that Shinehead.

I shoulda played it for you when you were over...

I shoulda played it for you when you were over...

I know, I can't believe you didn't think to play me Shinehead's cover of "Billie Jean"!

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    (Am I The) Same Girl - Charmaine Burnette

DivShare File - _Am I The_ Same Girl.mp3

• Interesting... I'm going to seek out that Shinehead.

It's not that hard to find if you know where to look.

It's not that hard to find if you know where to look.

Yeah, I just hadn't been checking for that track until the bassie recommendation.

• Great tune.

• Dark End of the Street

I love Buster's version of this tune. But one mustn't sleep on Pat Kelly or Slim Smith's version either.

Speaking of Shinehead. Anyone know of a different cover of Jamacian in New York?

• That is a tease if i have ever seen one. Visions of Reggae Mama Se Vocal loops bounce in the head...

I believe when I ripped this I dropped it on here.

I've had offers on this a bunch of times in the past, but I can never seem to part with it.

If nobody else post it, I'll do it when I'm home next.

I can't remember the artist right now - I'll check when I get home and I'm pretty sure it's on Impact - but there is a nice version of Jay McNeely's There is Something On Your Mind. I LOVE the original of that song too.

It's Hubert Lee!