Your Favorite Beatles Songs

yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Here are mine:BlackbirdDay in the LifeIn My LifeWith a little help from my friends

Comments

• -Baby It's You
    -Here There and Everywhere
    -Anna

• observobserv 55 Posts
    come together

• I Feel Fine
    It Won't Be Wrong
    She Said She Said
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Paperback Writer
    The Night Before
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    It's All Too Much

• top five of the moment:

helter skelter
    i'm only sleeping
    don't let me down
    it won't be long
    long long long

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    tomorrow never knows
    Long, Long, Long
    in my life

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    Dear Prudence
    Cry Baby Cry
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    I am the Walrus

• long long long

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    right now it's happiness is a warm gun...that is all

• long, long, long
    cry, baby, cry
    side b of abbey road (not gonna divvy that up, yo.)
    you've got to hide your lov away
    i'm only sleeping
    i am the walrus (forgot that one...always on the list. Row-ow-owwwwww...)

• I immediately put on Long, Long, Long after typing this, and so precious little is Fuck*ng with this song in all of the history of recorded music it is not funny.

That is some NEXTLEVEL shit right there- they went to a unique place in recording that song, and it is a place that few artists are ever capable of finding, much less capturing.

That rattling sound at the end? that is a beer bottle on top of an amp they recorded in the studio.

The tiny strum of unplugged guitar strings to close the song? perfect.

The warmth of the bass throughout?

Long, Long, Long is pretty much the definition of facemotherfuckingmelt.

It has made my girl sob while listening to it...

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Cosigning everything mentioned. Adding on:

She said, She said (edit: okay, that was mentioned)
    In my life
    Fixing a hole
    Rain

But A day in the life is forever number one. So amazing.

• I immediately put on Long, Long, Long after typing this, and so precious little is Fuck*ng with this song in all of the history of recorded music it is not funny.

That is some NEXTLEVEL shit right there- they went to a unique place in recording that song, and it is a place that few artists are ever capable of finding, much less capturing.

That rattling sound at the end? that is a beer bottle on top of an amp they recorded in the studio.

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. It really is a brilliant song. It is one of the only reasons I pull the white album out on a regular basis, and even though I have heard the song tons of times it doesn't get old.

• blackbird with a distant second being day in the life.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

Yeah, it was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. It really is a brilliant song. It is one of the only reasons I pull the white album out on a regular basis, and even though I have heard the song tons of times it doesn't get old.

While I can dig all the weird stuff on the White album for what it is, that album could possibly be one of the best rock LPs ever as a single LP with all the filler taken out.

• Yeah, it was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. It really is a brilliant song. It is one of the only reasons I pull the white album out on a regular basis, and even though I have heard the song tons of times it doesn't get old.

While I can dig all the weird stuff on the White album for what it is, that album could possibly be one of the best rock LPs ever as a single LP with all the filler taken out.

I hear what you're saying, but the two can't exist without each other; the rock songs need the weirdness and vice versa. Based on where they were at the time, it doesn't seem restraint and editing were really possible.

• Yeah, it was the first thing that came to mind for me as well. It really is a brilliant song. It is one of the only reasons I pull the white album out on a regular basis, and even though I have heard the song tons of times it doesn't get old.

I hear what you're saying, but the two can't exist without each other; the rock songs need the weirdness and vice versa. Based on where they were at the time, it doesn't seem restraint and editing were really possible.

I always think of it as 4 solo eps with george's being the best one.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    So many to mention... but one which always gets repeat play... 'I'm So Tired'.
    The mellow start, the build up, the climatic chorus... "i'd give you everything i've got for a little peace of mind'...

And then it ends. Perfect.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    You Know My Name
    Ballad of John And Yoko

I remember reading these were done by John and Paul alone(?).

Rain (great hippie weather song showing that Ringo is a good drummer)

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Magical Mystery Tour
    Day Tripper
    Do You Wanna Know a Secret
    Paperback Writer
    With A Little Help From My Friends

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Rocky Racoon

• I can barely pick out a favorite from any given album, although I prefer the later years, my favorite album being s/t.

I suppose my favorite songs are the ones that some of my favorite bands based a career off of. "Sexy Sadie" has Radiohead all over it, "She Said She Said" reminds me of Oasis and their anthem rock, "I'm So Tired" the Smiths have admitted to being influenced by -- also one of my faves.

Some others include Ticket to Ride, Nowhere Man, Dear Prudence, Julia, Mother Nature's Son, I Am the Walrus, and many others.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The ones with drums, yo.

• i got a feeling is prolly my favorite but other than that i like the early rock n roll-y stuffs.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    Hey Jude
    A Day In The Life
    I Am The Walrus
    Strawberry Fields Forever
    Tomorrow Never Knows
    Revolution No. 9

More or less, that's probably my top 6

There's a lot more but:
    You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)
    The Ballad Of John & Yoko
    Old Brown Shoe
    Lady Madonna
    The Inner Light
    Yer Blues
    Mother Nature's Son
    Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me & My Monkey
    Paperback Writer
    Rain
    I Want To Tell You
    Girl
    Help!
    I'm Down
    Yes It Is
    Revolution
    It's All Too Much
    All Together Now

I also like the "Mellotron Experiments"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    You Know My Name
    Ballad of John And Yoko

I remember reading these were done by John and Paul alone(?).

"The Ballad Of John & Yoko" were done by John and Paul, as George was on vacation and Ringo was "somewhere else". Paul handled drums and piano.

"You Know My Name" featured all of them, with Brian Jones playing the sax solo at the end. I always liked the song because outside of the fact that it's goofy and has nothing to do with its A-side ("Let It Be"), it was the only chance people got to hear the silliness they had put on their Christmas records. John does say "Ringo, let's hear it for Dennis!" in the second part, and that's definitely him playing the drums throughout (especially part one, and the congas sound similar to what he played in "Till There Was You"). Of course, you can tell that's John and Paul's vocals in part 1. According to "The Beatles Recording Session", George was definitely present throughout the various sessions that created the song (which had taken about two years to complete and eventually assemble).

• Norwiegan Wood or Blue Jay way

• side b of abbey road (not gonna divvy that up, yo.)

+
    While My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Eight Days A Week
    We Can Work It Out

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I immediately put on Long, Long, Long after typing this, and so precious little is Fuck*ng with this song in all of the history of recorded music it is not funny.

I had no idea.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Picking best Beatles songs is easy. The hard part is picking the worse Beatles song.