The Lauryn Hill Chronicles

Comments

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    I think Strutters should take the Wyclef challenge and play "No Woman" to gauge the response.

Odub, I respectfully disagree that BMW would get the same response. The drums on the Fugees version are club certified.

• I think Strutters should take the Wyclef challenge and play "No Woman" to gauge the response.

Odub, I respectfully disagree that BMW would get the same response. The drums on the Fugees version are club certified.

last song of the night, or middle of the night, people are dancing?

if its the latter, im gonna guarantee that in any club in america it will be

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I think Strutters should take the Wyclef challenge and play "No Woman" to gauge the response.

How can I gauge the response when I bolt out the room as soon as the song starts though?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Wyclef gets the here. His solo stuff is bad enough that it makes me rather listen to Pras.

"Carnival" was a great album and has, in my opinion, held up a lot better than "The Score."

You're telling me if I played the original version of "No Woman, No Cry" - at the end of the night - it'd flop compared to Wyclef's version?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

How can I gauge the response when I bolt out the room as soon as the song starts though?

Zing!

I've never played the "No Woman" cover, but the "Killing Me Softly" cover does very well on some end of the night drunken singalong steez.

Zing!

I've never played the "No Woman" cover, but the "Killing Me Softly" cover does very well on some end of the night drunken singalong steez.

See, this I have a much easier time believing given how HUGE that cover was (though I bet that playing the Flack original would get the same "sing-a-long" effect at the end of the evening).

• "Carnival" was a great album

no my friend.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i never fucked with that fugees shit and my friends (including a lot of girls which may taint the real headz count) were like "omg r u krazi?!!?!?!" im okay with a few of the singles but when i was forced to listen to the album in its entirety i was like ........

"Carnival" was a great album

no my friend.

Aren't the same guy who USED to like "The Score"?

I more or less ignored "The Carnival" when it first came out b/c I didn't really think a Wyclef solo album would be that interesting but a colleague convinced me to give it another shot and I could see what its merits were. It's practically a Fugees' album anyways (albeit, not as much Lauryn as one would like) and I thought it came at the height of Wyclef's creative relevance (though I'm sure many will point out: "he had some?")

• "Carnival" was a great album

no my friend.

Aren't the same guy who USED to like "The Score"?

you and Harv seem to suffer from the same reading comprehension deficits ( ).

I only suggested that those with fond memories of the Score (not including myself) revisit it for what will llikely be an embarasing discovery: that it sorta sucks.

• carnival is okay too. some songs are painful but i think "gone til november" still holds up and if "anything can happen" came on in the car, i'd be pleasantly surprised.

i guess everything is relative.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    full disclosure: I almost always play that track off 'The Carnival' that samples 'Stayin' Alive', I think it's called 'Tryin' to Stay Alive', and that song usually gets a good response late in the evening, maybe even crushes on occasion, hard to say.
    this should not be glossed over.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Ouch! That's not a nice thing to say.

I always play it near the end of the night. We generally get large crowds so I can only judge it as a full room type jernt. Hint: fade the chorus and watch everyone start singing on some campfire type steez.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Where's the Wyclef version?

• I think Strutters should take the Wyclef challenge and play "No Woman" to gauge the response.

Zing!

See, this I have a much easier time believing given how HUGE that cover was (though I bet that playing the Flack original would get the same "sing-a-long" effect at the end of the evening).

this has not been my experience... becky needs that fugees version... play the roberta flack version, and you will be immediately bombarded with requests for the "real version" and probably told that you suck at djing... play the fugees version at the end of the night, and you can pack your stuff up while becky and them keep singing acapella at the top their lungs

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Wylclef's cover of No Woman, No Cry crushes the dance floor. End of the evening full club karaoke.

I actually like Wyclef, but...

Seriously. I cannot imagine attending a club where that record "crushes the dance floor".

As someone who actually DJs, as opposed to comments on DJs, I can assure you that it "crushes". Your presence in any club seems dubious at best. Please forward all photographic evidence of you 'crushing' anything en boite.

You seem to have confused "the club" with "hipster dive bar".

Please believe that I am reclining against some white leather making it rain three to five nights a week, as I complain about how your girl won't stop texting me.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts

If I had the patience, I'd photoshop many a Soulstrutter into this picture.

Since I don't, I call upon King Moist for a....ROLL CALL!!!

Get 'em, girl!

Zing!

this has not been my experience... becky needs that fugees version... play the roberta flack version, and you will be immediately bombarded with requests for the "real version" and probably told that you suck at djing... play the fugees version at the end of the night, and you can pack your stuff up while becky and them keep singing acapella at the top their lungs

can you blame them though? I mean, the only words Becky knows is the annoying "one time, two time" nonsense. it's no fun for them if they can't sing along with that (see: "Go shorty; it's your birthday." )

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wylclef's cover of No Woman, No Cry crushes the dance floor. End of the evening full club karaoke.

OK, wait - do ALL of you people live in Vermont?

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

I actually like Wyclef, but...

Seriously. I cannot imagine attending a club where that record "crushes the dance floor".

As someone who actually DJs, as opposed to comments on DJs, I can assure you that it "crushes". Your presence in any club seems dubious at best. Please forward all photographic evidence of you 'crushing' anything en boite.

You seem to have confused "the club" with "hipster dive bar".

Please believe that I am reclining against some white leather making it rain three to five nights a week, as I complain about how your girl won't stop texting me.

I have to laugh at this one. You in da club ain't ever happening. Like Dolo flossing his raers and Slababadaba quitting soulstrut.

Your gig depresses me.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Your gig depresses me.

Well, I;m glad someone has found a way to play out and avoid the great unwashed masses. Those of us who live in the real world are envious.

Your gig depresses me.

Well, I;m glad someone has found a way to play out and avoid the great unwashed masses. Those of us who live in the real world are envious.

Dudes, I'm just saying. I've played Becky gigs before (post-gentrification, Mission distrct, S.F., holla) and I seriously doubt I would have been "immediately bombarded with requests for the 'real version'" of "Killing Me Softly" if I decided to drop Roberta Flack at the end of the evening.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    if "anything can happen" came on in the car, i'd be pleasantly surprised.

good tune...

and i second those who say the fugees version of Killing Me Softy goes over well in a club the way the r. flack version would not...

if "anything can happen" came on in the car, i'd be pleasantly surprised.

good tune...

and i second those who say the fugees version of Killing Me Softy goes over well in a club the way the r. flack version would not...

I'm not debating relative popularity. Sure - Lauryn's version has more contemporary recognition. I merely remain doubtful that Flack or Marley's "No Woman, No Cry" would go over dead however, which seems to be the insinuation.

• Some of you guys seem to be lacking club compliance.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Some of you guys seem to be lacking club compliance.

Just because music is played there, and drinks are served, and dorks dance badly...doesn't make it a club.