The Lauryn Hill Chronicles

Comments

• Some of you guys seem to be lacking club compliance.

Just because music is played there, and drinks are served, and dorks dance badly...doesn't make it a club.

I think you are actually pointing to the difference between "a club" and "the clurb"

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Some of you guys seem to be lacking club compliance.

Some of these boys seem to not even know what the word club means, much less to be familiar with such advanced concepts as "club compliance," "rhythmic work," and "discriminating dancefloors".

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

Some of these boys seem to not even know what the word club means, much less to be familiar with such advanced concepts as "club compliance," "rhythmic work," and "discriminating dancefloors".

And just because you can get the dregs of fashion and culture to show up, get sloppy drunk, and go ballistic to songs that you don't even like, it doesn't make you...a dj.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

And just because you can get the dregs of fashion and culture to show up, get sloppy drunk, and go ballistic to songs that you don't even like, it doesn't make you...a dj.

Yes, there is ongoing confusion about what that term means.

• Some of you guys seem to be lacking club compliance.

yea, your not a real dj unless you play a free house party and do a live blend of the yin yang twins and 2 live crew, right?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    songs that you don't even like

depressing.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

What makes a DJ, then? You have to play for your crowd.

No, you don't have to be an asshole who caters to the lowest common denominator and then acts like what he's doing is the equivalent of Moses parting the Red Sea.

There's a happy medium - you can play for your crowd with what you love. I have never bought a record that I don't like just because I know it will go over well. But if the room is responding to a certain direction, then I will keep playing the same sound/tempo or change it in baby steps as opposed train-wrecking. A DJ's crowd is her/his crowd for a reason. You can play the music you love and please a crowd, they are not exclusive of each other.

• There's a happy medium - you can play for your crowd with what you love. I have never bought a record that I don't like just because I know it will go over well. But if the room is responding to a certain direction, then I will keep playing the same sound/tempo or change it in baby steps as opposed train-wrecking. A DJ's crowd is her/his crowd for a reason. You can play the music you love and please a crowd, they are not exclusive of each other.

this MIGHT apply if you have the luxury of choosing to dj to a certain type of crowd. if your playing for a club owner or a promoter, its their crowd, not yours.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Wyclef gets the here. His solo stuff is bad enough that it makes me rather listen to Pras.

"Carnival" was a great album and has, in my opinion, held up a lot better than "The Score."

i loved the carnival and some of those creole tracks have become staples for the guitar sing-a long...at least in mtl

the score was one of the first records i played the hell out so istill like it to this day

however the rest of his solo output

There's a happy medium - you can play for your crowd with what you love. I have never bought a record that I don't like just because I know it will go over well. But if the room is responding to a certain direction, then I will keep playing the same sound/tempo or change it in baby steps as opposed train-wrecking. A DJ's crowd is her/his crowd for a reason. You can play the music you love and please a crowd, they are not exclusive of each other.

this MIGHT apply if you have the luxury of choosing to dj to a certain type of crowd. if your playing for a club owner or a promoter, its their crowd, not yours.

Ideally the owner/promoter has booked the DJ because of what s/he already has in their crates and/or it's an open-minded crowd. Otherwise, it's going to be a long night and we'll have to read all about it on SStrut the next day.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Which is why I play "No Woman". I genuinely like that song. If you don't, I understand.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

Ideally the owner/promoter has booked the DJ because of what s/he already has in their crates and/or it's an open-minded crowd. Otherwise, it's going to be a long night and we'll have to read all about it on SStrut the next day.

Yes that's the ideal situation but unfortunately 90% of the time that's not the case.

Okay, let's clarify some of this for the convenince of those who only deal in absolutes.

Yes, if you are a career dj and you need a lame gig to make bills...then yes, it is acceptable to any mature person that the compromises you make might be a necessary evil.

But plaese to not then take the experiences you endure while at that lame gig and try to put them on the same plane as doing a genuine gig.

There are far too many dj's, period. But more importantly, there are far more "dj's" who play wack music for wack people in wack bars who want to act like just based on them impressing some certified dipshits that they are on the same level of a DJ Cash Money or some shit.

There are tiers to this shit, and far too many are sitting lifeless on the bottom rung trying way too hard to convince people that they are instead about to soar from the roof.

Also, if you only do lame shit and never do the genuine shit, plaese to just go ahead and quit now for the benefit of all humankind.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Okay, let's clarify some of this for the convenince of those who only deal in absolutes.

Yes, if you are a career dj and you need a lame gig to make bills...then yes, it is acceptable to any mature person that the compromises you make might be a necessary evil.

But plaese to not then take the experiences you endure while at that lame gig and try to put them on the same plane as doing a genuine gig.

Again, though, what is a "genuine" gig? Isn't it just a a matter of taste? Dealing in absolutes is one thing, but debating things that really can't be quantified is another.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    the genuine shit

Harvey Canal, myth maker.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    there's probably an entire generation of women[/b] who are on some "ride or die" shit for Lauryn on the strength of that record alone.

For real. Lauren Hill is lucky to have such patient/tolerant fans.

My girlfriend went to see her when she played here a couple of months ago. Besides being a huge L. Hill fan, she also had gotten the job of reviewing the concert for a music mag she writes for on occasion.

Now, I've written off Hill many years ago, but my girlfriend is still hoping for her to make a comeback. So, after the concert I asked her how the show was, and these were some of the things she told me about it:

1. Her voice was worn out.
    2. She was acting like a maniac on stage, yelling at the band, crazy outfits.
    4. No communication with the audience, back turned a lot of the time.
    3. Almost all the songs were performed sort of "rushed" and often mutated to cheesy jam-band rock-reggae.

To me the whole thing just sounded mega-weak, but when I asked my GF how she was going to rate it for her review, she said 4/6. From how she described it I would have given it a 2/6, and when I asked her why, she just went "well, it's Lauryn Hill" or something like that.

I cram to understand.

• Okay, let's clarify some of this for the convenince of those who only deal in absolutes.

There are far too many dj's, period. But more importantly, there are far more "dj's" who play wack music for wack people in wack bars who want to act like just based on them impressing some certified dipshits that they are on the same level of a DJ Cash Money or some shit.

There are tiers to this shit, and far too many are sitting lifeless on the bottom rung trying way too hard to convince people that they are instead about to soar from the roof.

Also, if you only do lame shit and never do the genuine shit, plaese to just go ahead and quit now for the benefit of all humankind.

you sound bitter....and like someone who has never had fun djing or at a party where the dj wasn't playing some shit out of your itunes top 50 list. i know PLENTY of djs who live off playing commercial music that are insane djs.

what is the "genuine shit"?

Maybe wackness is indeed tough to quantify...for those who don't know the difference.

But no, playing or not playing "commercial" music isn't it.

Resorting to played-the-fuck-out-songs-that-really-weren't-all-that-good-to-begin-with as your staples definitely is though.

Never taking chances and never establishing yourself as an original dj is as well.

Cosmopolitan DJ imperialists might be great for one-offs or ocassional appearances but if your forte is always to just take a thin slice of eveything popular without ever carving out some sense of meaning between the songs being played beyond their inherent popularity qualifies as well.

Standing by as clueless people basically mock the race records that you are playing definitely fits the bill.

But again, it's not that every dj should immediately off themselves if ever once caught up in any of the above endeavors. The all-too-widespread problem right now is that 1. there are too many who only do the crap mentioned above and 2. too many of those exact dickweeds all-too-outwardly think of themselves as the shit and then some.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

This kind of talk just makes me laugh.

• Okay, let's clarify some of this for the convenince of those who only deal in absolutes.

I'm saying.

Harv - you a dick, homie.

There's a lot of hardworking DJs on here and you're shitting on them.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can we get back to making fun of Lauryn's outfits and make-up now?

Seriously, that one photo is giving me chills.

I'm saying.

Harv - you a dick, homie.

There's a lot of hardworking DJs on here and you're shitting on them.

If the shoe fits...

• Can we get back to making fun of Lauryn's outfits and make-up now?

breaking news from Norway: she just refused to donate blood to a dying white child...

• Can we get back to making fun of Lauryn's outfits and make-up now?

as soon as we get a definition for "cosmopolitan dj imperialists"

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    To me the whole thing just sounded mega-weak, but when I asked my GF how she was going to rate it for her review, she said 4/6. From how she described it I would have given it a 2/6, and when I asked her why, she just went "well, it's Lauryn Hill" or something like that.

I cram to understand.

Very true, Martin - the friends I know who have seen here live recently (ahem, Anna) say she's amazing. I'll take that assertion with a grain of salt.

I can only cosign Fauxs post about the "craziness" of artists being incorporated into the mythology about them. Especially if you've met/worked with people who are bipolar or schizophrenic, this feels a bit weird. Like he said, most artists suffering from serious mental issues (Sly, Scratch, Syd Barrett and so on) never really make it back and that's tragic. A lot of great artists are somewhat eccentric (Thelonius Monk and Sun Ra come to mind) - but being manic or psychotic is another thing altogether.

breaking news from Norway:

Amy Winehouse's attempt to get her career back on track after an alleged drug overdose in August hit a snag on Thursday, when she and husband Blake Fielder-Civil were arrested in Norway for marijuana possession. The Associated Press reports that the couple and an unnamed third person were arrested shortly after 6 p.m. at a hotel in Bergen, Norway, after the police received a tip. All three were held overnight and released at around 7 a.m. Friday (October 19) after paying approximately $715 in fines.

"They were found with 7 grams [about one-fourth of an ounce] of marijuana," said Prosecutor Lars Morten Lothe. "She's paid the fine, so this thing is over for us now."

Winehouse, 24, is just starting a European tour and is slated to perform in Oslo on Saturday, before heading to the Netherlands on Monday for another show.

The U.K.'s Times Online reported that the marijuana was not found on the singer or her husband, but in their hotel room.

At press time, it was unclear if the arrest would affect Winehouse's scheduled appearance at mtvU's Woodie Awards in New York on November 8.

The trip to Norway is one of the first excursions Winehouse has made since a hospitalization in August that was reportedly drug-related. That incident resulted in the cancellation of a string of planned U.S. dates, as well as an appearance at the MTV Video Music Awards (see "Amy Winehouse Cancels More Shows Due To 'Health Issues,' Denies Serious Drug Problems"). She has yet to reschedule the U.S. dates, and a spokesperson could not be reached for comment at press time to discuss the latest incident or any future touring plans.

A tip about a world-famous singer known everywhere for her troubles with drugs?

For a quad?

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    Can we get back to making fun of Lauryn's outfits and make-up now?

as soon as we get a definition for "cosmopolitan dj imperialists"

I'm pretty sure that's a scratch DJ crew out of West Covina.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    Extraneous discussion re: the real clubs vs. "clurbs" aside, the song "Ex Factor" off the Miseducation album is still one of the best break-up songs evar.