The Lauryn Hill Chronicles

Comments

• Aged Poorly = unsuccessfully renouncing former poptardedness???

I find KingMoist to be tarter than ever.

SASHAY!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    And yes, I like "poptarded" waaaaay better than "douchetard".

• Aged Poorly = unsuccessfully renouncing former poptardedness???

I find KingMoist to be tarter than ever.

SASHAY!

I find you more bloated than ever.

FINGERSNAPZ

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    The score introduced me to The Flamingos - I Only Have Eyes for You[/b], well worth the money right there.

• I find you more bloated than ever.

FINGERSNAPZ

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED, BITCH!

• tonyphronetonyphrone 1,500 Posts
    i think the score still bumps and I hear that Lauryn Hill (and Dave Chappelle) have coke problems. Which i hope is not true but could explain the erratic behavior...

FINGERSNAPZ

Like Jonny said...

• I like the Score.

me 2

and like their first album, a lot of the remixes were better than the album versions. fu-gee-la comes to mind. ready or not has a good remix, i think the og is classic too. killing me softly, manifest, how many mics....why is this a bad album??????

haters.

• BTW I suggest people riding for "the Score" pop it in the deck tonight for a little revisitation. my experience has been that it holds up very poorly. it brings a nostalgic smile to my face I suppose, but the music is mostly corny.

Yeah, I agree. I noticed the same thing on a recent listen.

Okay, so what's y'all's excuses for not realizing such an obvious thing back when the album first came out?

Who knows..my girlfriend at the time played the hell out of it.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Wylclef's cover of No Woman, No Cry crushes the dance floor. End of the evening full club karaoke.

• I find you more bloated than ever.

FINGERSNAPZ

HELL HATH NO FURY LIKE A WOMAN SCORNED, BITCH!

Just in case you get hungry digging through the soul section

you know i'm funnin', fam.

Wylclef's cover of No Woman, No Cry crushes the dance floor. End of the evening full club karaoke.

I actually like Wyclef, but...

• YOUR MILKDUD HEARTED ASS WOULD'VE HAD A CORONARY JUST LOOKING AT THE PICKLE PLATE. YES PASUE.

got you saying you in love with me and how you lovin' my belly![/b]

• i think the score still bumps and I hear that Lauryn Hill (and Dave Chappelle) have coke problems. Which i hope is not true but could explain the erratic behavior...

I really hope that isnt the case with either one of those people...but damn, where'd the Chappelle rumor come from? I mean, we all heard the crack rumors(and jokes) at the time of the Comedy Central fiasco..which he laughed at and denounced not too long after. Does this yay rumor come from credible sources(at all), or is it just some "a friend heard from a friend" kinda thing? I would hate to find out that it is true(with Lauryn or Dave).

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what happened to Lauryn.

Perhaps the same thing that happeend to artists like Winehouse and Spears; intense attention and success with incredible pressure to maintain and match what got them there - and in the case of Spears and Hill, throw children and unstable relationships into the mix - not a recipe for healthy living.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    what happened to Lauryn.

Perhaps the same thing that happeend to artists like Winehouse and Spears; intense attention and success with incredible pressure to maintain and match what got them there - and in the case of Spears and Hill, throw children and unstable relationships into the mix - not a recipe for healthy living.

I'm still trying to get past the fact that you just compared Spears and Hill. I do think you may be onto something here in terms of a gender analysis though I don't think some of these issues you're raising are unique to female artists.

But let's leave Winehouse out of this pool. She didn't "buckle." She was a drunk leading up to this record, stayed a drunk, and continues to be fucked up on drugs and drink. Her story isn't that mysterious.

I will say this much: Hill was young when success came to her (not to mention all her babies) and in that respect, she had to shoulder a lot of pressures at an age where she may not have had the fortitude - physically, emotionally, mentally - to hold up to that.

I can't remember who made this observation but there have been other young mothers who went onto become very successful musical artists but most of them had their kids FIRST before embarking on their career. I think Loretta Lynn would be a formative example.

what happened to Lauryn.

I'm still trying to get past the fact that you just compared Spears and Hill. I do think you may be onto something here in terms of a gender analysis though I don't think some of these issues you're raising are unique to female artists.

But let's leave Winehouse out of this pool. She didn't "buckle." She was a drunk leading up to this record, stayed a drunk, and continues to be fucked up on drugs and drink. Her story isn't that mysterious.

I will say this much: Hill was young when success came to her (not to mention all her babies) and in that respect, she had to shoulder a lot of pressures at an age where she may not have had the fortitude - physically, emotionally, mentally - to hold up to that.

I can't remember who made this observation but there have been other young mothers who went onto become very successful musical artists but most of them had their kids FIRST before embarking on their career. I think Loretta Lynn would be a formative example.

Hill was apparently screwed in the head from jump. The common thought is that Wyclef used her up, but I see that the other way around...especially when she went from him to getting with a Marley...any Marley and not even a musical one at that, but a Miami Hurricane football-playing Marley...just so that she could be closer associated with a hip icon. If a non-famous person specifically seeked out a famous-by-bloodline-only mate like that, what would it be called again?

• I'm still trying to get past the fact that you just compared Spears and Hill.

The same applies to Britney, no? I'd say the comparison holds up to your own scrutiny.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I'm still trying to get past the fact that you just compared Spears and Hill.

The same applies to Britney, no? I'd say the comparison holds up to your own scrutiny.

Could be far, far worse for Lauryn:

from Cnn.com, 2 hrs ago

Judge suspends Britney Spears' visitation rights[/b]

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Singer Britney Spears' visitation rights with her children were suspended Thursday until she complies with court orders in her custody battle with her ex-husband Kevin Federline.

"Petitioner's (Spears') visitation with the minor children is suspended pending the petitioner's compliance with court orders," according to an order entered in Los Angeles Superior Court.

Court spokesman Allan Parachini said the order was signed Wednesday by the court commissioner handling her custody case.

Earlier this month, the court awarded full custody of the couple's two sons -- Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden, 1 -- to Federline, Spears' former backup dancer.

It is unclear what led to the decision.

Last month, a judge ordered Spears to submit to random drug tests after finding she engaged in "habitual, frequent, and continuous use of controlled substances and alcohol."

That order, by Superior Court Commissioner Scott Gordon, provided no details and did not name any specific drugs.

The parents had split custody 50-50, but Federline then asked for the arrangements to be shifted to 70-30 in his favor.

In addition to ordering the twice-weekly drug tests, Gordon ordered Spears to spend eight hours per week working with a "parenting coach," who was to observe her interactions with her children.

Gordon also told both parents to avoid alcohol or "other non-prescription controlled substances" 12 hours before taking custody of the children.

He also barred the exes from making "derogatory remarks about the other party and the other party's family or significant other" during the case. And he ordered the parents to go through "joint co-parenting counseling" and barred them from using corporal punishment on the boys.

Spears and Federline were married for two years before their divorce became final in July.

The custody battle comes amid a career freefall for Spears, whose new album is due to be released October 30.

After her September 9 "comeback" performance on the MTV Video Music Awards, critics derided her singing and dancing as lackluster and said she appeared out of shape in her sequined two-piece costume. Her former divorce lawyer, Laura Wasser, resigned last month as her legal representative after telling reporters the singer "just wants to be a mom."

Spears' management company, the Firm, recently quit after representing the singer for little over a month.

what happened to Lauryn.

lol - yes, well I did think it might not go over that well.

Winehouse is the odd gal out due to her previous addictions, and even that is not so mysterious (ie. Courtney Love), but I don't think the intense success and pressure helped her keep things functional. It's hard to say, I mean who really cared to know about her and her boyfriend scrapping or her ODing before "Rehab".

You know, I actually don't think what is happening to Hill and Spears is that mysterious either and I didn't really mean it to be a gender analysis - it is the same thing we hear all the time about the doubled demands working mother face- that their domestic pressures are no less.

I don't know Loretta Lynn's story, but I think having good support around you is huge to keeping your head above the shit - I'll use Beyonce and MJB as examples - even with Blige's rocky start, both women have had their families around them from the beginning.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Seriously. I cannot imagine attending a club where that record "crushes the dance floor".

• Wylclef's cover of No Woman, No Cry crushes the dance floor. End of the evening full club karaoke.

Seriously. I cannot imagine attending a club where that record "crushes the dance floor".

i've never heard it played at a club, but if this came on at a bar around the time of last call, i think you'd see a fair amount of people rocking back and forth singing "everything is gonna be alright..."

To me it always seemed like Lauryn's "demise" as an artist had much more to do with a choice, a desire to be out of the spotlight, to not be commodified, than Britney's which just seems like a collosal collapse with all the flash bulbs popping...plus britney's still making music, which I think may be the biggest difference. The "female ruin" show that Britney has been putting on, and so many seem perversly excited about, is still running; whereas, except for a few awkward attempts, Lauryn's music stopped a long time ago. Now, I love a comeback, a revival, and seriously think both Brit and Lauryn are capable of it. Britney just needs a new veneer (and to lay off the coco pebbles). As for Lauryn, Miseducation was a masterwork (I said it), and I continue to hope there's something in her tanks that can approach that album.

I'm still trying to get past the fact that you just compared Spears and Hill.

To me it always seemed like Lauryn's "demise" as an artist had much more to do with a choice, a desire to be out of the spotlight, to not be commodified, than Britney's which just seems like a collosal collapse with all the flash bulbs popping...plus britney's still making music, which I think may be the biggest difference. The "female ruin" show that Britney has been putting on, and so many seem perversly excited about, is still running; whereas, except for a few awkward attempts, Lauryn's music stopped a long time ago. Now, I love a comeback, a revival, and seriously think both Brit and Lauryn are capable of it.[/b] Britney just needs a new veneer (and to lay off the coco pebbles). As for Lauryn, Miseducation was a masterwork (I said it), and I continue to hope there's something in her tanks that can approach that album.

Perhaps a Mimi bootcamp is what they need?

Not to nitpick, but I would call the new Britney Spears song, bizarre MTV Awards performance and stripclub video a pretty awkward attempt at making music!

To me it always seemed like Lauryn's "demise" as an artist had much more to do with a choice, a desire to be out of the spotlight, to not be commodified, than Britney's which just seems like a collosal collapse with all the flash bulbs popping...plus britney's still making music, which I think may be the biggest difference. The "female ruin" show that Britney has been putting on, and so many seem perversly excited about, is still running; whereas, except for a few awkward attempts, Lauryn's music stopped a long time ago. Now, I love a comeback, a revival, and seriously think both Brit and Lauryn are capable of it. Britney just needs a new veneer (and to lay off the coco pebbles). As for Lauryn, Miseducation was a masterwork (I said it), and I continue to hope there's something in her tanks that can approach that album.

wow. yeah man, I mean I really hope "Brit" comes back. I know she's still got some fight left. C'mon "Brit" give us a little bit more of that old magic!

wow. yeah man, I mean I really hope "Brit" comes back. I know she's still got some fight left. C'mon "Brit" give us a little bit more of that old magic!

She's my friend.

My point wasn't about the quality of her music (that's why I said she needs a new veneer), it was the fact that she's still producing music. Her awkward MTV appearance was the most downloaded bit from the MTV awards (obviously), and the ringtone was the most downloaded as well.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

As someone who actually DJs, as opposed to comments on DJs, I can assure you that it "crushes". Your presence in any club seems dubious at best. Please forward all photographic evidence of you 'crushing' anything en boite.

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

i've never heard it played at a club, but if this came on at a bar around the time of last call, i think you'd see a fair amount of people rocking back and forth singing "everything is gonna be alright..."

Yeah but is that specific to Wyclef's cover? Shit, most bars in America, you could throw on anything off of "Legend" and have people singing along to it. I highly doubt Wyclef put some new spin on that shit to make it "hot."

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Lauryn is clearly crazy, probably always has been to a degree but now it's blatant. I dug the Fugees album years ago but it doesn't hold up well now at all. Miseducation was a damn good record, and Lauryn had a great voice/flow, even if the whole thing was ghostwritten/produced. She may not be a great person to deal with, but the end result was a few amazingly good songs off that record.

Her performance in Dave Chappelle's Block Party was embarassing, as was her flow on that John Legend record.

And all that said, Wyclef gets the here. His solo stuff is bad enough that it makes me rather listen to Pras.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

Yeah but is that specific to Wyclef's cover? Shit, most bars in America, you could throw on anything off of "Legend" and have people singing along to it. I highly doubt Wyclef put some new spin on that shit to make it "hot."

At our last Sat night, some straglers starting singing this song acapella after we shut down for the evening. That REALLY motivated the bouncers to move them out. Pretty much ruined any good memory I had of the song as well.

full disclosure: I almost always play that track off 'The Carnival' that samples 'Stayin' Alive', I think it's called 'Tryin' to Stay Alive', and that song usually gets a good response late in the evening, maybe even crushes on occasion, hard to say.