US Dollar depreciation appreciation thread

Comments

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I was tryin' to have some fun and be stupid!
    Like, you know, all Russians look like this:

All Arabs look like this:

All French Canadians look like this:

In an attempt to be stupid.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I imagine all you Aussies wearing a Crocodile Dundee hat and vest when saying these posts.

pay no attention to Sheep... he's from QLD

Down in NSW my weekend routine consists of hitting some op shops in the morning, swinging by the river on the way home to break a few croc's heads before getting back to the shack for some BBQ croc burgers and 4 cases of VB.

Occassionally though the drop bears get me and I get fucked up and have to go to Hospital for a few weeks. It's an occupational hazard over here.

::Real aussies know the deal mate::

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    It kinda shows you how things suck in ur country in a way tho.

I was watching the news a week back and they did a story on this dude and went along with him to buy a car here in Toronto. The price came to $39,000. He then drove down to Buffalo and the same car with all the same options and everything came to $14 grand cheaper. After 4 days when he got all the paper work done and across the border, it ended up being $10,000 cheaper.

Also, a group of people are suing some car companies because of price differences. Even if the car is build in Canada, it's still cheaper to buy the same car down in the states.

On a same note. Porsche dropped their prices by about $15,000. Not that I'll be getting on of those! HA

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    Another way Canadians are getting ripped off.

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/200...psn-action.html

• grahamgraham 201 Posts
    CTV news did a story on price difference between the US and Canada. I didn't see it first hand. A lot of places are lowering there prices such as chapters. Also apparently at Best Buy you can bargin with them since electronics are so much cheaper in the US. Or hit up some boarder shopping which Ive never done but seems pretty lucrative now.

• BaptBapt 2,503 Posts
    The economists say that the value of the dollar will continue to decline.
    And I appreciate it a lot.

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    I need to unload all the american cash I was saving for when the american dollar was first starting to decline (I am Canadian).

The other day I went to 711 and paid with an american $5 and the cashier said "we accept American money but we don't give an exchange rate, it's just straight across." I gladly obliged.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I wasn't really referencing you Bevan, since I know what you look like from your world tour posts.

I was looking for a Dundee pic and got Dundee Ken Eng looking thang:

No one but Paul Hogan has ever dressed like that in Australia my man...
    I've encountered many an Australian hipster, and them dressing like Paul Hogan would be a major improvement. seriously, dudes made bedford ave. look normal.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I've encountered many an Australian hipster, and them dressing like Paul Hogan would be a major improvement. seriously, dudes made bedford ave. look normal.

Australia has hipsters now??? I thought the Metro's were bad nuff...

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts

Gotta tell me where to get waxpo for $15 though, I haven't come across that!

I'm not sure where you live dude, but Northside Records and Collectors Corner both do them for $15, pretty sure of that.

Edit: I looked at your blog & it seems you're in melbourne!

Haha, cheers man, I really should go hit them up again. The problem is the blog (and the shop associated to it) means I work seven days a week. Although we only play records in the shop, so I suppose a dig would be work related.

Does anyone here really think the dollars will become equal?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    i used to frequent vancouver in the early 90s and it was dope to buy something for $5, hand the cashier a US $20 and get more than $20 back in canadian. i'll be up again in 3 weeks and i'm not looking forward to this change of events.

Alright now... I'm not feeling the whinging yanks on this.

You've had a good run, for fucks sake. What are you complaining about... 'Oh no, other currencies might reach parity with ours.' Man the fuck up and deal with it. The rest of the world has had to live with this for a while now, and I say its your fuckin' turn.

Kinda

You've had a good run, for fucks sake. What are you complaining about... 'Oh no, other currencies might reach parity with ours.' Man the fuck up and deal with it. The rest of the world has had to live with this for a while now, and I say its your fuckin' turn.

Kinda

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts

Kinda

I guess this all going right over your head.

If the US economy really collapses, we won't be able to make any more of that good stuff for you guys to purchase anymore.

PS I hate the foreign spelling of "whinging"... unless yawl are really pronouncing it "winn-jing" that is.

Your currency declining slightly doesn't exactly equal the collapse of the economy, any more than it meant the collapse of the Australian economy 5 years ago when we were gettign 50 US cents for our dollar.

And how the hell do you spell whinging?

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

whining

whining

::you whinging, doggie?::

If the US economy really collapses, we won't be able to make any more of that good stuff for you guys to purchase anymore.

Yeah the US makes all the good stuff.... sheesh....

LOL.......... and here you have an entire thread about how chuffed you guys are to be copping US merchandise on the cheap.

LOL.......... and here you have an entire thread about how chuffed you guys are to be copping US merchandise on the cheap.

Not everything SOLD in America is MADE in America now is it??? Stop diggin' a bigger grave for yourself dummy...

peace.

Your currency declining slightly doesn't exactly equal the collapse of the economy, any more than it meant the collapse of the Australian economy 5 years ago when we were gettign 50 US cents for our dollar.

As has already been mentioned, there's currently no end in sight for this trend... there are going to have to be some major changes on the horizon for us to turn this shit around and I don't always have faith that those in charge will do the right thing.

Not everything SOLD in America is MADE in America now is it??? Stop diggin' a bigger grave for yourself dummy...

peace.

Read this thread again, I stand by my statements.

Even if 'only' the majority of the goods you guys are purchasing from the US are made here that doesn't change my sentiments one bit.

peace.

Read this thread again, I stand by my statements.

Even if 'only' the majority of the goods you guys are purchasing from the US are made here that doesn't change my sentiments one bit.

Cool and I stand by my statements too. It sounds like your mad the dollars weak, don't really affect shit right now, our dollar was shit for years, we got through it and our economy's fine... watch Zeitgeist already, it's all Bush's fault...

peace.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    So in theory, if more people in the UK start buying on eBay, wont this force UK shops to lower their prices and eventually stablize the market?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    The truth of it is though, if the US economy does continue to slow, and eventually go into recession, it will have a negative effect a lot of other countries economies. Including Australias.

• So in theory, if more people in the UK start buying on eBay, wont this force UK shops to lower their prices and eventually stablize the market?

its called competition baby

"My dollar's bigger than your dollar, and if they had a fight, mine would knock yours out!"

• PS I hate the foreign spelling of "whinging"... unless yawl are really pronouncing it "winn-jing" that is.

Yes, the word Whinging is pronounced "Win-Jing", i am suprised this isn't common knowledge and find it funny that you assumed us foreigners were including a random silent G...

• Alright now... I'm not feeling the whinging yanks on this.

Kinda

agreed.

In any event it isn't particularly rational to think strong currency = strong economy. In many ways it is advantageous, i.e US exports become more competitive internationally.

This looks more like some sort of twisted national pride thing more than anything else.

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    I'd be interested to hear how this is perceived in the US too...

it is advantageous, i.e US exports become more competitive internationally.