US Dollar depreciation appreciation thread

DrBorisQDrBorisQ 298 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
Buying stuff from the US has got a whole lot cheaper for most of us non-US heads in the last year or so; down here we're talking ~20% cheaper than a year ago, and almost 50% on a few years back. In the last few months it has got to the point where it is cheaper to buy a number of things from the US and pay for the shipping than it is to get them locally.Obviously it is good for non-US buyers, what about you non-US sellers?I'd be interested to hear how this is perceived in the US too...

Comments

• I'd be interested to hear how this is perceived in the US too...

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I'd be interested to hear how this is perceived in the US too...

Yup. I'm used to being outbid by foreigners, but geez.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Bring it, Boris.

• wheres the 'feelin it' graemlin when you need it !?!

the appreciating australian dollar has lead to lower prices on straight RR imports, like new albums, re's and wax po (down from $20/21 a few years back to $15 flat now) & as the doctor mentioned, purchases direct from the US have become a lot cheaper

incidentially I saw an article in the press today predicting that the aust & US dollars would reach parity reasonably soon as well, but thats what they used to say about NZ and the aust dollar as well, so I'm not holding my breath

• Things are better than ever. I love it. I've been selling an insane amount of overpriced shit to Europeans lately.

• kwalitykwality 620 Posts
    I'm about to blow $200 on minor league caps... just 'cause the dollars good!

Gotta tell me where to get waxpo for $15 though, I haven't come across that!

• Gotta tell me where to get waxpo for $15 though, I haven't come across that!

I'm not sure where you live dude, but Northside Records and Collectors Corner both do them for $15, pretty sure of that.

Edit: I looked at your blog & it seems you're in melbourne!

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    this thread:

• this thread:

hahaa, why is that?

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    wheres the 'feelin it' graemlin when you need it !?!

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    I'd be interested to hear how this is perceived in the US too...

Ah, you know, Americans have had the advantage so many times... I was in Argentina right after the currency collapse, South Africa when the rand was in the basement, Australia when the dollar was 2:1, Brazil when the real was 3:1. So it's hard to be too upset now that the tables have turned.

But I'm not buying any records in Euros right now.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

incidentially I saw an article in the press today predicting that the aust & US dollars would reach parity reasonably soon as well

• incidentially I saw an article in the press today predicting that the aust & US dollars would reach parity reasonably soon as well

Every time I get to paypal lately I have to do a double take because its so much less in AUD than i'm expecting

• DubiousDubious 1,865 Posts
    yeah i couldn't beleive it... the other day ebay canada was showing prices LOWER than the usd!

woo hoo!!!

• It is good if buying from the US obviously but my drum business Spiritdrums has suffered as we mainly export to the US. When the Aussie dollar was low we could sell a small kit for US$5500 and get A$10,000 now the same US$ is A$6,100 wiping a major chunk off our profit margin . A couple of years ago
    I fixed our prices in A$ but we have found it a lot harder to make the sales as our drums keep getting pricier for the Us market.

I haven't been to the states for years and last time I was there for the NAMM show the rate was A$1 = 0.55cUS and it was a spin out to be paying US$20 for a pizza (A$36) back then. After a while for the 2 weeks I was there i just pretending it was an equal rate to stop myself freaking out too much.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    but my drum business Spiritdrums has suffered as we mainly export to the US.

Damn....you know times are bad when trust fund Deadheads aren't buying drums!!!

• this sucks as I love to travel overseas and shit aint really possible now with the weak ass dollar...cant afford to go somewhere and have to drop a few hundred everyday...

• but my drum business Spiritdrums has suffered as we mainly export to the US.

Damn....you know times are bad when trust fund Deadheads aren't buying drums!!!
    Never that Son
    Never sold a drum to a deadhead but did buy acid off them.
    Clients of mine include Billy cobham, Steve Ferrone, Cindy Blackman, Lenny Kravitz and a few others

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    I don't sell records on eBay anymore, cuz the exchange rate is messed up... in saying that I'm off to the US for a month and I'm loving the fact the majority of my savings for the trip are in Aussie $

88 cents + to the $1....

compared to 70 not too long ago and 50 further in the horizon!!!

It doesn't look like it's gunna get any stronger either....

b

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    This thread is

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    This U.S. economy is

• HamHam 872 Posts

watching the dollar fall

This thread is your comeupence!

• Dudes, being mad at this thread is like being mad at the wind.

I'm not mad... I'm glad!

I'm not mad... I'm glad!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I imagine all you Aussies wearing a Crocodile Dundee hat and vest when saying these posts.

I imagine all you Aussies wearing a Crocodile Dundee hat and vest when saying these posts.

no one's ever thrown that cliche at me before, how original.... YAWN...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I wasn't really referencing you Bevan, since I know what you look like from your world tour posts.

I was looking for a Dundee pic and got Dundee Ken Eng looking thang:

I wasn't really referencing you Bevan, since I know what you look like from your world tour posts.

I was looking for a Dundee pic and got Dundee Ken Eng looking thang:

No one but Paul Hogan has ever dressed like that in Australia my man...