Wake up niggaz and realize what's goin on around you
    Poisonin' of the food and water
    Tamperin' of cigarettes
    Disease engineering control over your life
    Take back your existence or die like a punk
    This is Big Rube, sayin right on to the real, and death to the fakers
    Peace out

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    OUTKAST WOULDNT BE DOIN IT W/OUT TRIBE'S CONTRIBUTIONS.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

HUH?????? Why?

Because it is a terrible, terrible song. It's one of those songs where I'm forced to think, "Really? Along the entire process of making this song and putting it on the album, none of the many people who came in contact with it thought to say, 'Hey, uh, guys? This song is total ass'?"

Outkast is the shit, but that song was just plain shit.

yo, that song was dope!!!! fuckin hilarious... can we get a consensus vote on this shit?

I always thought that song was corny as fuck too.

Outkast over Tribe simply in terms of their ability to stay relevant.

• Tribe.
    As much as I love Outkast... ain't nobody messing with Low End Theory.

• hemolhemol 2,578 Posts
    Roses is ill:

Oh so oyu one of them freaks/get geeked at the site of an atm receipt

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The REAL question is:

Kamaal the Abstract vs Idlewild-era Andre solo?

Kamaal the Abstract. no question. i love andre but his recent solo stuff has been awful

I agree - I actually, hrm, kinda LIKED that Kamaal EP that came out *ducks and covers*.

I really don't want to choose between Outkast and Tribe, but I'm slowly realising that if I had to, I'd choose Outkast - over the years, their music have become more important too me. Plus, there's actually a chance either of the members will be involved in something mindblowing again (808 was crazy, for example).

Seriously, what's Tip doing these days? Playing guitar with D'Angelo?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    yo why do cats hatt on Phife diggy so much..

is that a serious question? it's because he can't rap.

There's a gang of folks who would say Phife blew Tip away on Low End Theory.

• how come the Jeans thread is more poppin' than this? weak.

I saw Q-Tip last night, AMAZING Frickin' SHOW. Dude was going ape shit over performing material he's probally heard over a million times (stage diving, jumping on speakers, running around). His band is dope to, not to jazzyscibbly skat skat rap, and they play over the records and make great transitions from song to song. Dude even sang a little bit, not mad at all.

And one of the beast parts is when him and his deejay, DJ Scratch go back and fourth on the juggling. Really sick shit

Q-Tip Live > Common Live

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    id rather listen to outkast than tribe anyday of the week. a portion of this can definitely be attributed to the same five tribe songs being played at every "hip hop" event i've been.

• id rather listen to outkast than tribe anyday of the week. a portion of this can definitely be attributed to the same five tribe songs being played at every "hip hop" event i've been.

that's really a reflection of you not being a real rap fan and not bothering to listen to albums.

BETTY CROCKER CUPACKIN' ASS NINJA.

• Tribe has all sorts of nostalgia going on with their appraisal. At their best they made some mellow-ish rhodesy fun records that resonate.

The first three Outkast albums offer something way more substantial. "Aquemini" is a masterwork and few hiphop records come close.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    i would seriously have to skip through half of each of midnight marauders and low end theory because they conjure up images of either REAL HEADZZZ events or a random shitty house party where the only rap played was tribe and the beastie boys

• Tribe has all sorts of nostalgia going on with their appraisal. At their best they made some mellow-ish rhodesy fun records that resonate.

The first three Outkast albums offer something way more substantial. "Aquemini" is a masterwork and few hiphop records come close.

Nostalgia? Their records still good regardless.

Nostalgia? Their records still good regardless.

Where did I say the records weren't good?

I have to disagree with this - Midnight Marauders or Low End Theory is as much a "masterwork" as anything OutKast did. The fact that OutKast had a broader musical vision - one that included marching bands, synthesizers, and loud guitars - really doesn't mean they're better... unless you're one of these people that thinks hip-hop wasn't any good until it was as compositional as progressive rock or jazz.

I would eventually side with OutKast but you can't hold the frat boy "Scenario" wrong lyric rappers against what Tribe did. Easily one of the best groups ever, in any genre.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Tribe has all sorts of nostalgia going on with their appraisal. At their best they made some mellow-ish rhodesy fun records that resonate.

I have to disagree with this - Midnight Marauders or Low End Theory is as much a "masterwork" as anything OutKast did. The fact that OutKast had a broader musical vision - one that included marching bands, synthesizers, and loud guitars - really doesn't mean they're better... unless you're one of these people that thinks hip-hop wasn't any good until it was as compositional as progressive rock or jazz.

I would eventually side with OutKast but you can't hold the frat boy "Scenario" wrong lyric rappers against what Tribe did. Easily one of the best groups ever, in any genre.

Yeah, dismissing Tribe as "at best... mellow-ish rhodesy fun" records is pretty ridiculous. I say that as someone whose favorite group of all time is Outkast.

Footnote: although I have learned to appreciate it in retrospect, I felt that Aquemini was kind of a fall-off for Outkast when it was released. But then I like rap.

I would eventually side with OutKast but you can't hold the frat boy "Scenario" wrong lyric rappers against what Tribe did.

And also: do dudes really think that Outkast lacks their own share of fratboy fans?

Probably half the Outkast shows I've seen took place on (non-HBCU) college campuses.

• I SO RIDICULOUS.

I love those Tribe records. When did descrbing a record as "fun" and saying it resonates become a condemnation. I also said nothing about frat boys.

You Frickin' purists suck the fun out of rap.

• one of the beast parts

Really sick shit

I have to disagree with this - Midnight Marauders or Low End Theory is as much a "masterwork" as anything OutKast did.

Good on ya. "Aquemini" has more depth and complexity in my opinion and I return to it more often than TLE or MM, as much as I revere them as well.

I get the feeling you try to pigeonhole my tastes or perspectives based on prior conversations, but it ain't like that bud.

I SO RIDICULOUS.

I love those Tribe records. When did descrbing a record as "fun" and saying it resonates become a condemnation.

Soulja Boy is "fun".

Tribe is one of the greatest groups in rap or any other genre.

• I SO RIDICULOUS.

I love those Tribe records. When did descrbing a record as "fun" and saying it resonates become a condemnation.

Soulja Boy is "fun".

Tribe is one of the greatest groups in rap or any other genre.

Calm down lil' guy. Your hip-hop reading is still at 99.99%. You're good.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Footnote: although I have learned to appreciate it in retrospect, I felt that Aquemini was kind of a fall-off for Outkast when it was released.

HUUUUGE CO-SIGN!!! I thought i was the only one.

• ATLiens is their best record.

• Footnote: although I have learned to appreciate it in retrospect, I felt that Aquemini was kind of a fall-off for Outkast when it was released.

HUUUUGE CO-SIGN!!! I thought i was the only one.

Seems to me it was barely a departure and really kind of a predictable path for them. The two singles and "Mamacita" are the only semi-weak spots.

"Mamacita" has more depth and complexity in my opinion and I return to it more often than TLE or MM, as much as I revere them as well.

'Good on ya, bud'

• "Mamacita" has more depth and complexity in my opinion and I return to it more often than TLE or MM, as much as I revere them as well.

'Good on ya, bud'

Not fair. I skip "mamacita". Low blow, bud.

You're kind of a vampire. You realize this, don't you?

• Jokes on me. Can't believe I wasted part of my high "debating" with you fiends.

I answered the OP's question. Sorry my response was not up to snuff from the White Boy Soul Patrol. Here's a microphone decal for your hip-hop helmet.

• White Boy Soul Patrol.

location up for grabs