Outkast vs Tribe for G.G.O.A.T.

124»

Comments

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

Footnote: although I have learned to appreciate it in retrospect, I felt that Aquemini was kind of a fall-off for Outkast when it was released.

HUUUUGE CO-SIGN!!! I thought i was the only one.

Seems to me it was barely a departure and really kind of a predictable path for them. The two singles and "Mamacita" are the only semi-weak spots.

I'm not saying it's a bad album, I'm just saying that my initial reaction to it was kinda lukewarm. At the time, I wasn't really into analyzing music, so I didn't evaluate it in terms of the group's direction. I measured an album's strength simply in terms of how much I listened to it, and I just didn't find myself playing Aquemini that much. Keep in mind as well that I probably listened to their first two albums more than any other pair of albums by a single group ever. EVER.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,901 Posts
    I don't know what the deal is with this thread.

Don't you fools know that things go in cycles.
    It's just that Outkast was ampin' like Tribe.

Damn this thread is 10 years to late.

Somebody go get a late pass. STEP.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Footnote: although I have learned to appreciate it in retrospect, I felt that Aquemini was kind of a fall-off for Outkast when it was released.

HUUUUGE CO-SIGN!!! I thought i was the only one.

Seems to me it was barely a departure and really kind of a predictable path for them. The two singles and "Mamacita" are the only semi-weak spots.

I'm not saying it's a bad album, I'm just saying that my initial reaction to it was kinda lukewarm. At the time, I wasn't really into analyzing music, so I didn't evaluate it in terms of the group's direction. I measured an album's strength simply in terms of how much I listened to it, and I just didn't find myself playing Aquemini that much. Keep in mind as well that I probably listened to their first two albums more than any other pair of albums by a single group ever. EVER.

Southernplayalistic... and ATLiens are as close to perfect rap albums as I've ever heard. Some of the new things that they tried on Aquemini succeeded and others didn't, but on very few of those tracks did they achieve the perfection that they did on their two previous albums, IMO. I continue to prefer Stankonia, which I think represents the fruition of Aquemini's experiments.

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts
    ATCQ > Outkast