Outkast vs Tribe for G.G.O.A.T.

Young_PhonicsYoung_Phonics 8,039 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
let's go folls. 10 pages by the time I come back from the Libary. Sales: OutkastLyrics: Outkast by a slight marginInfluence on most amount of people: Tribe, maybe?Beats/Production: Toss-up, both where masterfull at the styles they did and super original. I never felt that either group was taking cues, they where making them. The Dilla factor may sway fans either away or towards Tribe.More White Fans: ?????I want to say Outkast because they're still way more relevant to young folks, but shit who knows.Personally: Midnight Maruader era Tribe.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I wonder what Lupe Fiasco thinks...

• I wonder what Lupe Fiasco thinks...

Man, I feel like I should look side to side and whisper this, but I'm feeling the new Lupe, you know that shit where he has some Coldplay sounding dude on it. I heard it late saturday night and was like "damn...i'm enjoying this".

but yo:

[Verse Two: Andre Benjamin]

Now Suzy Skrew had a partna named Sasha (Sasha), Thumper (Thumper)
    I remember her number like the summer
    when her and Suzy yeah they threw a slumber - - party
    but you can not call it that cause it was slummer
    Well it was more like spend the night
    Three in the morning yawnin dancin under street lights
    We chillin like a villain and a nigga feelin right
    in the middle of the ghetto on the curb, but in spite
    all of the bullshit we on our back starin at the stars above
    (aww man) Talkin bout what we gonna be when we grow up
    I said what you wanna be, she said, "Alive" (hmm)
    It made me think for a minute, then looked in her eyes
    I coulda died, time went on, I got grown
    Rhyme got strong, mind got blown, I came back home
    to find lil Sasha was gone
    Her mamma said she with a nigga that be treatin her wrong
    I kept on singin my song and hopin at a show
    that I would one day see her standin in the front row
    But two weeks later she got found in the back of a school
    With a needle in her arm, baby two months due, Sasha Thumper

I wonder what Lupe Fiasco thinks...

Man, I feel like I should look side to side and whisper this, but I'm feeling the new Lupe, you know that shit where he has some Coldplay sounding dude on it. I heard it late saturday night and was like "damn...i'm enjoying this".

But what do you know about Fiascogate?

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    After careful consideration, I'm going with...

It Takes a Nation of Millions - era P.E.

• DBADBA 8 Posts
    I'll say both are dope groups, but overall I would give the nod to Tribe. Only because Outkast (namely 3000) goes out on a limb JUST[/b] to be different. While I applaud the creativeness they have, sometimes it's just TOO[/b] different. And TOO[/b] different doesn't always equal good.

On the flip side, people have always bitched about "The Ummah"[/b] sound, and how Tribe wasn't the same on Beats Rhymes & Life[/b] and The Love Movement[/b], but I LOVED IT!![/b] Just listen to Jam[/b] with that popping snare, or Find A Way[/b] for some Tribe treats.

As far as who has more "white fans", once again Tribe. Tribe has rocked on Lollapalooza (1994) and those type of tours, whereas IMO, Outkast may have a few "white fans" but that wasn't until the release of the Speakerboxx/The Love Below[/b] LP. It's mostly strictly hip hop fans (especially Southerners) that praise Outkast.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    I'll say both are dope groups, but overall I would give the nod to Tribe. Only because Outkast (namely 3000) goes out on a limb JUST[/b] to be different. While I applaud the creativeness they have, sometimes it's just TOO[/b] different. And TOO[/b] different doesn't always equal good.

I would agree with this if I hadn't read an interview with Andre right around the time ATLiens came out. He basically said after Southerplayalisticaddilacmuzik came out everyone started jocking their style and wearing all the same shit, so he decided to don the 90 year old lady/genie hat just to see who would follow suit. about a year later you see him in the Rosa Parks video sporting a marching band outfit and you just kinda knew he was having way too much fun trying to fuck with fools heads. I think it's funny

BUT, He is a little too over the top a lot, and I definitely miss his straight up rap vocal style from the first album.

• i can't choose, but i will say this.

Tribe's music is very much of it's time, while Outkast is on some space age forever shit.

• Tribe for[/b] it's time, Outkast is on some space age forever shit.

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts
    G. what O.A.T?

neither of them really, but both very dope and influential groups that rap couldn't do without.

• neither of them really,

I hate to say it, but you're kind of a cornball when it comes to rap.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

BUT, He is a little too over the top a lot, and I definitely miss his straight up rap vocal style from the first album.

Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

Andre is great in Roses! It's def a different style but "indefensible"? C'mon!

• I LOVE some old Tribe..but over the test of time..Tribe gets old. Not the case so much w/ 'Kast. Like I said earlier..best AND the flyest to ever do it. It's a Frickin' legacy w/ those dudes...nobody can see em.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I LOVE some old Tribe..but over the test of time..Tribe gets old. Not the case so much w/ 'Kast. Like I said earlier..best AND the flyest to ever do it. It's a Frickin' legacy w/ those dudes...nobody can see em.

BULLSHIT.

PUBLIC ENEMY
    THE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS
    RUN DMC......RUN DMC.....RUN DMC
    N.IGGAZ W.ITH A.TTITUDES
    WU-TANG CLAN
    BEASTIE BOYS
    GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS FIVE
    THE GETO BOYS

WHATEVER-

SALES DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY
    MTV VIDEOS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY

OUTKAST WOULDNT BE DOIN IT W/OUT TRIBE'S CONTRIBUTIONS.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I hate picking GOAT groups. This comparison is apples to oranges, different regions, eras, styles, production techniques, etc.

That said I personally don't find myself listening to Tribe nearly as much as a lot of other classic groups. But that's probably because I hear them and De La played by people who don't know anything else about that era of hip-hop all the time.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

But that's probably because I hear them and De La played by people who don't know anything else about that era of hip-hop all the time.

Very true. But the first 3 Tribe albums should be in any comprehensive Hip Hip collection.

24 year olds who dont know history be talmbout Lakers(Shaq/Kobe era) is their G.O.A.T. U need to check your history.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    24 year olds who dont know history be talmbout Lakers(Shaq/Kobe era) is their G.O.A.T. U need to check your history.

Somehow I missed the transition from Tribe to the Lakers.

• deejdeej 5,125 Posts
    there would be no shaq w/out erick sermon

Somehow I missed the transition from Tribe to the Lakers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    EPMD = house party rap at its finest.

4 classic albums.

Some of the biggest songs anywhere.

Plenty of great spin-offs.

The real deal.

EPMD = The real deal.

WHODINI

I never felt that either group was taking cues, they where making them

get familiar

• I never felt that either group was taking cues, they where making them

get familiar

please.

though definetly an amazingly produced LP (mainly for it being done on a 4 track and a gemini sampler) Tribe basically got mad hip-hop dudes open with the jazzy jazz loops and all of that shit, sure folks where doing the jazz loops but I think Tribe was doing it like I said earlier, masterfully. Maybe the J.B.'s where a pre-cursor but I think Tribe just murdered it with the beats by going that extra step.

And yo, Skeff Anslem......how much of an input did he have? If I remember correctly he was listed as a co-producer on a couple of tracks, what 'appen'?

Organized Noise:

They where killing it with the whole live sound, it reminds me a lot of Quik and other L.A. folks from that time and they would and still sprinkle-in these little weird noises in the beats. Like record scratches and little bleeps and shit, loved it.

Tribe basically got mad hip-hop dudes open with the jazzy jazz loops and all of that shit

^^^^^^PLAGIARIZED FROM A RAPSHEET LETTERS PAGE CIRCA 1993

I never felt that either group was taking cues, they where making them
    get familiar

please.though definetly an amazingly produced LP (mainly for it being done on a 4 track and a gemini sampler) Tribe basically got mad hip-hop dudes open with the jazzy jazz loops and all of that shit, sure folks where doing the jazz loops but I think Tribe was doing it like I said earlier, masterfully. Maybe the J.B.'s where a pre-cursor but I think Tribe just murdered it with the beats by going that extra step.

The Jungle Brothers and De La open the doors for Tribe.
    Maybe you came to that Native Toungues sound thru Tribe, but the JB's were killin the radio & skreets before Tribe.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Is this thread affected by Raj's new word change filter? WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!!!

• I LOVE some old Tribe..but over the test of time..Tribe gets old. Not the case so much w/ 'Kast. Like I said earlier..best AND the flyest to ever do it. It's a Frickin' legacy w/ those dudes...nobody can see em.

BULLSHIT.

PUBLIC ENEMY
    THE COLD CRUSH BROTHERS
    RUN DMC......RUN DMC.....RUN DMC
    N.IGGAZ W.ITH A.TTITUDES
    WU-TANG CLAN
    BEASTIE BOYS
    GRANDMASTER FLASH AND THE FURIOUS FIVE
    THE GETO BOYS

WHATEVER-

SALES DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY
    MTV VIDEOS DONT TELL THE WHOLE STORY

OUTKAST WOULDNT BE DOIN IT W/OUT TRIBE'S CONTRIBUTIONS.

I dont give a damn about sales...or MTV videos. I agree Outkast wouldnt be Outkast if it wasnt for the Tribe and De La's(ive read that Andre is/was a big Tribe fan). I am sure you see things a little different being where you are and where you were raised, and while I love every group you listed(and was a MAJOR fan of 3/4's of them when they were in their prime),but I still gotta go with Outkast. They were the underdogs. They won. I dont care how Hollywood they are now or all that bullshit people say...to me, Outkast has ALWAYS led the pack when it comes to rap from down here. Some songs you just give you chills when listening to, whether it reminds you of a certain time in life, or whatever..old Outkast does that to me more than anybody.

(I aint mad at any of the groups listed above and celebrate their entire catalog)

• I dont give a damn about sales...or MTV videos.

...yes, nor do I care about their fanbases- it's bullshit to judge an act's musicality based on its fans.

Technically, Outkast stayed 'true,' putting out quality dope shit, longer (Kast's 4 albums as opposed to Tribe's 3, 3.5 at most). However, I'd say at their pinnacle, Tribe's best stuff does it for me more than Outkast's best. Of course that's just personal

as far as EPMD goes, yes they may have a longer streak of quality shit, but they seemed to lack to stylistic evolution, the exploration of new styles, that the other groups in question showed through their classic periods.