Outkast vs Tribe for G.G.O.A.T.

Comments

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    The REAL question is:

Kamaal the Abstract vs Idlewild-era Andre solo?

• Two words: Phife Dog

I love tribe, but they were just too imbalanced. Groups like Outkast, EPMD, Run DMC, Wu, de la, Mobb Deep actually had members who would both/all shine. I'm ok with a stupid Phife lyric, but he was just so overshadowed by tip.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Just to bring up a Tribe story again, I remember watching RapCity with Tribe on it, and Joe Clair asks them both to freestyle. Q Tip goes first and couldn't be more awful, and then Phife goes and fuckin kills it. Joe Clair, after Phife was done, looks at Q Tip and says something to the effect of "you feelin ok today bra, you need a Sprite?"

• Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

HUH?????? Why?

• djkingottodjkingotto 1,704 Posts

neither of them really,

I hate to say it, but you're kind of a cornball when it comes to rap.

thats great! i'm a cornball because neither of these groups is the greatest of all time? there is no greatest of all time, its all personal preference and i think given all the rap in the world, how can tribe or outkast be the greatest? tribe had beats before jay d. jay d had beats after that. tip is good but not great, phife is almost good - we'll say he's hard like 2 day old s***. outkast has been way more consistant and released more respected material, but not all hip hoppers and rap enthusiasts give a shit about them. shit, de la is still putting out great material, great raps and beats so that crushes anyone else from the native toungues holding this title right there.

i was hip hop when hip hop wasn't cool and i've been buying rap records since you were in diapers and i was rockin kangols and taking a lot of shit because i was into rap music, so keep your bullshit comments to yourself.

wow, i can't believe i let someone get me worked up...

• HamHam 872 Posts
    The REAL question is:

Kamaal the Abstract vs Idlewild-era Andre solo?

Kamaal the Abstract. no question. i love andre but his recent solo stuff has been awful

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts

Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

HUH?????? Why?

Because it is a terrible, terrible song. It's one of those songs where I'm forced to think, "Really? Along the entire process of making this song and putting it on the album, none of the many people who came in contact with it thought to say, 'Hey, uh, guys? This song is total ass'?"

Outkast is the shit, but that song was just plain shit.

• neither of them really,

thats great! i'm a cornball because neither of these groups is the greatest of all time? there is no greatest of all time, its all personal preference and i think given all the rap in the world, how can tribe or outkast be the greatest? tribe had beats before jay d. jay d had beats after that. tip is good but not great, phife is almost good - we'll say he's hard like 2 day old s***. outkast has been way more consistant and released more respected material, but not all hip hoppers and rap enthusiasts give a shit about them. shit, de la is still putting out great material, great raps and beats so that crushes anyone else from the native toungues holding this title right there.

i was hip hop when hip hop wasn't cool and i've been buying rap records since you were in diapers and i was rockin kangols and taking a lot of shit because i was into rap music, so keep your bullshit comments to yourself.

The ignore button is your friend.

and as we keep it movin'

• as far as EPMD goes, yes they may have a longer streak of quality shit, but they seemed to lack to stylistic evolution, the exploration of new styles, that the other groups in question showed through their classic periods.

huh? EpMD? please to be the serious-o. where did that come from?

• as far as EPMD goes, yes they may have a longer streak of quality shit, but they seemed to lack to stylistic evolution, the exploration of new styles, that the other groups in question showed through their classic periods.

Yo you just played yourself

Yo you just played yourself

Man, where was you on Saturday?

Cupcakin' like Betty Crocker perhaps?

Great group, but i'm not sure why they would get a mention in this thread.

neither of them really,

The ignore button is your friend.

and as we keep it movin'

i don't believe in the ignore button. but we'll keep it moving anyway....

• They're a group who should be in any discussion of the greatest rap groups of all time.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Tribe.
    As much as I love Outkast... ain't nobody messing with Low End Theory.

• They're a group who should be in any discussion of the greatest rap groups of all time.

For sure.

But do they loose points for The Knucklheadz?

For sure.

But do they loose points for The Knucklheadz?

Does Outkast lose points for Slim Cutta Calhoun??

PAGING NOZ

• Man nothing that Outkast has spawned can be even be remotely corny as the knuckleheadz[/b]. And even if they have they've more than made up for it with quality side projects and groups.

whattaya mean? someone brought them up on page 2. I'm just saying, although I love them, I don't see them as GGOAT based on their career trajectory

• Also, "Roses" is absolutely indefensible.

HUH?????? Why?

Because it is a terrible, terrible song. It's one of those songs where I'm forced to think, "Really? Along the entire process of making this song and putting it on the album, none of the many people who came in contact with it thought to say, 'Hey, uh, guys? This song is total ass'?"

Outkast is the shit, but that song was just plain shit.

yo, that song was dope!!!! fuckin hilarious... can we get a consensus vote on this shit?

• I like "Roses" and think that anyone who hatts on EPMD is, well, a customer.

• Big fan of "Roses", so I respectfully disagree w/ DJ Enki.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    EPMD

• Tribe.
    As much as I love Outkast... ain't nobody messing with Low End Theory.

Plus their styles are so different i think its kinda funny to compare these two..on that note A.T.C.Q all dayyy..

• yo why do cats hatt on Phife diggy so much..Tribe would not be the classic shit it was without him..I personally love his simple but freshh lyrics, his style, his voice and alladat..but hey thats just my humble 2cents..Buggin out!!

• yo why do cats hatt on Phife diggy so much..

is that a serious question? it's because he can't rap.

yo why do cats hatt on Phife diggy so much..Tribe would not be the classic shit it was without him..I personally love his simple but freshh lyrics, his style, his voice and alladat..but hey thats just my humble 2cents..Buggin out!!

some people are into those extra simple lyrics. i agree tribe isn't tribe without him, but he really isn't the greatest mc by any means. he can freestyle his ass off though - if the topic is sports

• Tribe.

"bust a nut inside your eye - to show you where I come from" is one of the greatest lines ever.

Yeah well neither can 50cent Kanye west and allthem guys..Plus alot of the real old school shit was mad simple but rocked the party regardless..raps don't always have to be super deep and intricate to be fresh.."is that a serious ??"..u guys kill me..hahaa

"bust a nut inside your eye - to show you where I come from" is one of the greatest lines ever.

true. and given the conspicuous gulf in caliber between that particular line and everything else in Phife's vast, universally mediocre canon, I have long maintained that he did not think that line up himself.