fast food breakfast

pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
whats the verdict? mcdonalds? burger king? dunkin donuts? bagel shop? I personally think burger king breakfast sucks ass.my vote is for mac donalds and there fantastic grease bombs.

Comments

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    i think i wouldnt even want to get up if i had to start the day with fast food.

• reskresk 391 Posts

too bad theres like zero stand along (non-mall) ones in dade county but they just opened one in broward county.

why arent these EVERYWHERE?

• too bad theres like zero stand along (non-mall) ones in dade county but they just opened one in broward county.

Yeah, those little Chick-Fil-A mini things are the shit.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

too bad theres like zero stand along (non-mall) ones in dade county but they just opened one in broward county.

Yeah, those little Chick-Fil-A mini things are the shit.

chik-fil-a vs bojangles ???

i like both & the chik-fil-a chicken brkfst burrito is nice
    but
    their closed on sunday policy narrows the playing field
    (& they are both raer up north)

i use to rock waffle house untill their prices got so high
    (scattered & smothered = too much)
    & i can not bring myself to IHOP (too fruitty rooty watever)

hardees ?
    wendys (breakfast rare)
    +
    regional moves like t.hortons or steak+shake
    white castles for b-fast = NAGL ?

getting ready for a 2 week road trip
    hate on crackerbarrell if you must
    but
    it is a dependable place to relax & read the local papers
    + coffee refills keep on coming

• pjl2000xlpjl2000xl 1,795 Posts
    i think i wouldnt even want to get up if i had to start the day with fast food.

hey man after a hard night of drinking there is nothing better then a sausage egg and cheese biscuit and some bong hits.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I used to tear up those BK Croissandwichs back in my 20s digging days.

NOW.. Starbucks low fat turkey bacon and cheese on a English Muffin.

I used to tear up those BK Croissandwichs back in my 20s digging days.

NOW.. Starbucks low fat turkey bacon and cheese on a English Muffin.

i forgot about 4bucks,
    they have stepped up their breakfast game nicely
    i also patronize their free wi fi brethren panera

einstein bagels also has the turkey breakfast meat choice

i do hate the whattaburger breakfast,
    but love the braums & taco cabana in texas

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Honestly, that was my first choice.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Wawa breakfast sandwiches on my level? My girlfriend read the Nutritional Facts on one of them and almost had a heart attack for me.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

The fast-food purveyor seeks loyal employees and operators who believe serving chicken is God's work. Careful screening of new hires keeps it out of trouble.

At a busy Chick-fil-A in Rome, Ga. Richard Yadkowski keeps a paternal eye on employees squeezing lemons and cooking chicken. Like seven teens who work in his restaurant, Yadkowski, 33, came to Chick-fil-A when he was living in a group foster home created by Chick-fil-A founder and chairman S. Truett Cathy. "I tell the kids, 'This is not just selling sandwiches; it pays for your upbringing,'" says Yadkowski, a hardworking, happily married Southern Baptist who plans to work with Chick-fil-A for life.

Chick-fil-A tries to recruit and retain loyalists like Yadkowski, who is so devoted to the company and its founder that he named his son Samuel (Cathy's first name). The privately held chain--with $2.3 billion in systemwide sales last year from 1,300 franchised stores in the U.S.--is best known for chicken-breast sandwiches that inspire fans to camp out so they are first in line when a new restaurant opens.

Cathy, 86, credits the company's success to 975 franchisees and 600 employees who are unusually dedicated in an industry known for grumpy operators and high turnover among hourly workers. The turnover among Chick-fil-A operators is a low 5% a year. Among hourly workers turnover is 60%, compared with 107% for the industry. "We tell applicants, 'If you don't intend to be here for life, you needn't apply,'" says Cathy, who opened his first restaurant in 1946.

That's not the only company mandate. Chick-fil-A's corporate mission, as stated on a plaque at company headquarters (and by Cathy), is to "glorify God."[/b] It is the only national fast-food chain that closes on Sunday so operators can go to church and spend time with their families; franchisees who don't go along with the rule risk having their contracts terminated. Company meetings and retreats include prayers, and the company encourages franchisees to market their restaurants through church groups. Howe Rice, a franchisee in Glen Allen, Va., hosts a Bible study group in one of his two Chick-fil-A restaurants every Tuesday. He offers a free breakfast to all who attend. "You don't have to be a Christian to work at Chick-fil-A, but we ask you to base your business on biblical principles because they work," says Cathy.

Chick-fil-A is run by Cathy and his sons Dan T., chief operating officer, and Donald (a.k.a. Bubba), a senior vice president. They screen prospective operators for their loyalty, wholesome values and willingness to buy into Chick-fil-A's in-your-face Christian credo, espoused often by Cathy, an evangelical Southern Baptist who says "the Lord has never spoken to me, but I feel Chick-fil-A has been His gift."

Fifty employees and one franchisee grew up in one of 13 Christian foster homes in the U.S. and Brazil run by a nonprofit organization Chick-fil-A funds, the WinShape Foundation. Sixteen others were in Sunday-school classes Cathy teaches at First Baptist Church in Jonesboro, Ga. Cathy likes to give a leg up to people who have ambition but little else: The company asks operators to pay just $5,000 as an initial franchise fee. KFC, for example, demands $25,000 and a net worth of $1 million.

Chick-fil-A pays for the land, the construction and the equipment. It then rents everything to the franchisee for 15% of the restaurant's sales plus 50% of the pretax profit remaining. Operators, who are discouraged from running more than a few restaurants, take home $100,000 a year on average from a single outlet. A solo Bojangles' franchisee can expect to earn $330,000 (Ebitda) on sales of $1.7 million.

Loyalty to the company isn't the only thing that matters to Cathy, who wants married workers, believing they are more industrious and productive. One in three company operators have attended Christian-based relationship-building retreats through WinShape at Berry College in Mount Berry, Ga. The programs include classes on conflict resolution and communication. Family members of prospective operators--children, even--are frequently interviewed so Cathy and his family can learn more about job candidates and their relationships at home. "If a man can't manage his own life, he can't manage a business," says Cathy, who says he would probably fire an employee or terminate an operator who "has been sinful or done something harmful to their family members."

The parent company asks people who apply for an operator license to disclose marital status, number of dependents and involvement in "community, civic, social, church and/or professional organizations."

But Danielle Alderson, 30, a Baltimore operator, says some fellow franchisees find that Chick-fil-A butts into its workers' personal lives a bit much. She says she can't hire a good manager who, say, moonlights at a strip club because it would irk the company. "We are watched very closely by Chick-fil-A," she says. "It's very weird."

Is it legal? There are no federal laws that prohibit companies from asking nosy questions about religion and marital status during interviews. Most companies don't because it can open them up to discrimination claims, says James Ryan, a spokesman for the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. Chick-fil-A has more freedom to ask whatever it wants of franchisees because they are independent contractors and not necessarily subject to federal employment discrimination laws. (Employees, however, may sue under those laws.)

Chick-fil-A, the corporate parent, has been sued at least 12 times since 1988 on charges of employment discrimination, according to records in U.S. District Courts. Aziz Latif, a former Chick-fil-A restaurant manager in Houston, sued the company in 2002 after Latif, a Muslim, says he was fired a day after he didn't participate in a group prayer to Jesus Christ[/b] at a company training program in 2000. The suit was settled on undisclosed terms.

The company might face more suits if it didn't screen potential hires and operators so carefully. Many Chick-fil-A job candidates must endure a yearlong vetting process that includes dozens of interviews. Ty Yokum, the training manager for the chain, sat through 7 interviews and didn't get the job. He reapplied in 1991 and was subjected to another 17 interviews--the final one lasted five hours--and was hired. Bureon Ledbetter, Chick-fil-A's general counsel, says the company works hard to select people like Yokum, who "fit." "We want operators who support the values here," Ledbetter says.

Those who do say they like the member-of-the-club feel that goes along with working with Chick-fil-A. "It is very difficult to get in, but once you're in, you're in for life," says Donald Elam, a Chick-fil-A franchisee in Superstition Springs, Ariz.: "I tell all my people, 'I'm not working for Chick-fil-A; I'm working for the Lord.'"[/b]

http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2007/0723/080.html

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    In Austin, it is all about the breakfast tacos you can get around town. F*ck all of the chain restaurants.

Maria's Taco Express
    Taco Deli
    Torchy's Tacos
    Tamale House
    Taco Shack
    this list of local spots could go on and on

• Chick-Fil-A's church affiliation has never been a big secret, I kind of thought everybody knew about that place. Always closed on Sundays!

Anybody mess with Wendy's recent breakfast menu? I had a egg/cheese/bacon biscuit there recently and it was better than any McD's or BK breakfast I've ever had.

The truth is Santiago's Breakfast Burritos for $2, cheese, hot chili, egg, potato, meat of the day (chorizo, sausage, or bacon). 2 of those and I'm straight. Santiago's has become a Denver breakfast burrito staple.

I do miss Bojangles. Spicy chicken biscuits are so good there. Southern influenced fast food is scarce in these here whitefolks mountain areas.

• The best fast food breakfast around here is Mrs. Winners...chicken jernt...pork chop biscuit with hash browns is

The best fast food breakfast around here is Mrs. Winners...chicken jernt...pork chop biscuit with hash browns is

i thought that their chicken biscuit was weak (compared to christ-fil-a & mr bojangles)
    but
    the downtown nashville local may be a weak chain link
    (bell south's cafe downtown nashville is next level & a bargain, and they have chik-fil-a in there too)

• I liked the Mcd burritos i had in Pittsburgh the other week.

• man i miss red a. lotus wrapped sticky rice, corn n ham mayo bun and a hk tea for like $3. or the bun nazi on powell and broadway. even cheaper.

right now i like chabelita's burritos desayunos. $4. spaceghost hipped me to the spot on account of their veggie sopes.

ktown also has korean pancakes [hoddeok] at new cali mkt for $1 a pop. so delicious.

• man i miss red a. lotus wrapped sticky rice, corn n ham mayo bun and a hk tea for like $3. or the bun nazi on powell and broadway. even cheaper.

right now i like chabelita's burritos desayunos. $4. spaceghost hipped me to the spot on account of their veggie sopes.

ktown also has korean pancakes [hoddeok] at new cali mkt for $1 a pop. so delicious.

pleae hook up the addresses hommie!

-what are your days at the 333rd?

pleae hook up the addresses hommie!

-what are your days at the 333rd?

chabelitas is on western just north of the 10. you cant miss it.

new california market is also on western but further up near 5th st. there's a taco truck at the entrance to the market. not at the street entrance, thats an actual mediocre taco truck. the korean pancake truck is right at the front door that opens into the market. they open at 10am. oh, chabelitas is open 24hrs i think.

i work on mondays and wednesdays. usually. schedule moves around sometimes cuz i teach. come by! been stocking the bins pretty much on the daily.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

For me, by a mile. I'll take Shoney's any day on the road but BK Breakfast is like an essential tour staple.

1.) They got egg&cheese sammys beyond the taste they make ones without meat on them for people who don't eat that shit and always go hungry at these places. And they are pretty cheap if I remember compared to D&D
    2.)McDonalds shoots themselves in the foot for having those syrupy filled muffin sandwiches. I had one once and I felt like shit after and all I could taste was that shit.
    3.)The French Toast strips are awesome. And the taters are good too.
    4.)I 'heard' they added a ton of shit to the breakfast menu and they have cheesy tots. I love McieD's for certain reasons because of its DGAF style where they stay open 24/7 and let people sleep in a warm place for buying something for a buck.

• Low Fat Cottage Cheese with Fruit or a Bagel with Low-fat cream cheese

but I HAVE TO HAVE COFFEE. I think i'mma addict yo

and sometimes i have the craving for a ham-less Egg McMufffin.

christ-fil-a

T*m, Mr. Bojangles got the best biscuits and sweet tea, EVAR.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I get uncontrollably excited for Bojangles and this.

I WILL INVENT HUNGER FOR IT IF IT AINT THERE

• i thought this was supposed to be about FAST food. come on now, waffle house?

I get uncontrollably excited for Bojangles and this.

I WILL INVENT HUNGER FOR IT IF IT AINT THERE
    ugghh, I have to be belligerently drunk to even kinda like Waffle House.
    Southerned Fried Denny's

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I'd probably hate that place if I wasn't from Jersey. Years ago on the road I first realized there were areas in America that had no such thing as an egg and cheese sandwich, or a diner. For some reason Waffle House hits the spot like a judges gavel when I'm in foreign territory.

Oh and Id bet $ on whoever scanned or took a pic of their menu is from the NY/NJ/CT/E.PA area! It's like a phenomenon for people who don't live anywhere near them when they find them.

haha, I'm from Jersey and I can't stand the place.
    I was amazed by it the first time I set foot in there
    but now it's on status.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    I'd never eat there if I lived around them either, but I don't!

One of my favorite spots was/is the RIO diner on Rt. 35

But actually my most current breakfast sandwich place could go in the urban renewal thread cause it got knocked down to put in a Big Brother police station where they sit back and watch the cameras watch everybody else.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

For my local spot, I gotta go with Bagel Express on Rt. 27. I love their bagels and their pancake, egg, and sausage breakfast is off the chain (file under: rare guilty pleasure). Plus, two cute "Jersey girls" work in there in the morning. "Would you like sugaw and cream in your caaaaawfee?"

On the national tip, when breakfast venues are in doubt, I fucks with these two:

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I am not at all mad at the BK and McD's breakfast menu.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    I am not at all mad at the BK and McD's breakfast menu.

When I got back home the other morning from Portland I was like "I'm gonna go all out and eat some McDonalds for breakfast" cause I never eat that shit.
    I was thinking what could be better than driving on 2 hours of drunken sleep and eating some greasy hashbrowns and a sausage and egg mcmuffin (I can hear KingMost's little testes run up into his bellybutton from here)?

It was straight crap. I don't think I can enjoy that stuff anymore.

Strictly 1 slice of wholewheat toast with peanut butter and coffee for me plaese.