ya ever fuck up a record on purpose before you...

12346»

Comments

• $[/b] upply and demand.

• great pic

grate thread

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    period point blank if i wanted a record and i found out one of you scraggly dorks just purposely scuffed it up to sustain popsike value i would not hesitate to punch you in the fucking mouth. the "record game" needs more karmic beat downs.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    period point blank if i wanted a record and i found out one of you scraggly dorks just purposely scuffed it up to sustain popsike value i would not hesitate to punch you in the fucking mouth. the "record game" needs more karmic beat downs.

Yeah, pretty much. There is no way to justify this practice.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Threats from anyone soft enough to make reference to 'karma' cannot be taken seriously.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    Threats from anyone soft enough to make reference to 'karma' cannot be taken seriously.

i'll check you down in marina village

• theory9theory9 1,128 Posts

Seriously, this thread is all kinds of funny.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

There's so much dirt that gets done in the business of selling records, I'm having a hard time understanding why people are getting ass-hurt over this particular form of indiscretion. We are talking about SUPERFICIAL MARKS THAT DO NOT AFFECT PLAY. Unlike over-grading and over-selling (e.g. advertising a calypso terd as raw JB-style funk), this style of duplicity has nothing to do with the music. Musically, you are getting exactly what you paid for.

Besides, we are talking about an exceedingly uncommon practice that effects a practically negligible percentage of collectors (i.e. people willing to spend $1000+ on a 45 that has a value anchored in a particular scene). How many people on SoulStrut fall into that category? Certainly not me.

For the record, MotorCityFunk (S*nicR*ducer) is one of the friendliest, most straightforward, and easy to work with dealers I have ever encountered. And there are MANY people here that will attest to that.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts

i'll check you down in marina village
    Come strapped.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts

There's so much dirt that gets done in the business of selling records, I'm having a hard time understanding why people are getting ass-hurt over this particular form of indiscretion. We are talking about SUPERFICIAL MARKS THAT DO NOT AFFECT PLAY. Unlike over-grading and over-selling (e.g. advertising a calypso terd as raw JB-style funk), this style of duplicity has nothing to do with the music. Musically, you are getting exactly what you paid for.

Besides, we are talking about an exceedingly uncommon practice that effects a practically negligible percentage of collectors (i.e. people willing to spend $1000+ on a 45 that has a value anchored in a particular scene). How many people on SoulStrut fall into that category? Certainly not me.

For the record, MotorCityFunk (S*nicR*ducer) is one of the friendliest, most straightforward, and easy to work with dealers I have ever encountered. And there are MANY people here that will attest to that.

On principle, I still don't like the idea, because it keeps the price inflated, but then again, I'm really not in the market for any of the records we're talking about here, and people paying $2000 for a VG Northern 45 are pretty loony to begin with.

I understand that it's not that dirty a move to pull in comparison to other shady business. I guess I imagined it more as making a NM copy VG+ or even VG, which when we're talking about rare-as-fuck 45s where the master tapes are long gone, is like taking a dump on a historical document, really.

And yeah, no dig on any strutters here, I'm sure most of you are real respectable dudes. I just feel apprehensive about this particular practice.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

On principle, I still don't like the idea, because it keeps the price inflated, but then again, I'm really not in the market for any of the records we're talking about here, and people paying $2000 for a VG Northern 45 are pretty loony to begin with.

I understand that it's not that dirty a move to pull in comparison to other shady business. I guess I imagined it more as making a NM copy VG+ or even VG, which when we're talking about rare-as-fuck 45s where the master tapes are long gone, is like taking a dump on a historical document, really.

And yeah, no dig on any strutters here, I'm sure most of you are real respectable dudes. I just feel apprehensive about this particular practice.

^^^^^^^^Completely sensible post.

Your apprehension is well-warranted, it's a pretty nutty practice. When MCF first told me this story a couple of years ago, I couldn't help but laugh because it's so unapologetically absurd. As you noted - and perhaps this should have been made more explicit from the beginning - the practice in question probably took the vinyl from M- to perhaps a hair short of NM. In other words, a difference in grade that only sweaty-palmed Northern DJs would even think twice about.

And again, this type of artifice would never be used with typical customers, or less than exceptionally rare records. Seriously, watching a Northern dealer/collector working the stores in a place like Detroit is like some Wild Planet shit. Dudes are CONSTANTLY trying to get over on store owners, and they're often successful, because they have such privileged information about the scene.

Think of it like two people wrestling in a cage match. You might think the dude with the collapsible chair has an unfair advantage, but that's only because you haven't seen the 2-by-4 the other guy is hiding behind his back.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Mornin' cunts.

Well, looks like i really was the naive one then...

So thats how the record game is played,I really had no clue that this was part of it.really.

really?

really.

Cheers for clearing that up for me.

Have fun ripping each other off.

see ya cunts.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    some Wild Planet shit.

A record collecting show would totally top Shark Week.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    cunts.

You seem angry.

cunts.

You seem angry.

Actually, i work with an Australian.

he finishes every sentence with "ya cunt"

his greeting is "howzit cunts" and when he says goodbye its "seeya cunts"

its contagious.

see ya cunts.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    This might not be the right place to admit it, but I once pooped into a box of unplayed Third Guitar 45s. Sorry guys, my bad.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    Bob "The Bear' Hite of Canned Heat would find a stash of rare 78's,
    keep one & break the rest to insure the solo copies value
    so
    i guess mcf's practice is not THAT bad

my spirit guide big Ray has found vast quanities of rare 45 titles &
    always has been able to maintain a decent price without resorting to
    "antiqueing" the merch

if everyone played the game the same it would be boring
    & there would be no heroes or villians

ps - hookup was being hypothetical,
    dude is so the oppisite of shady (defined as tuffcity) it's almost comical to see folks
    get asshurt & plan sabotoge
    (now his boss' failure to reward a good employee is nagl)

((& if his boss is reading this thread, i'm the short dude with long hair who comes by to purchase opera on the weekly))

• dude is so the oppisite of shady

• Bob "The Bear' Hite of Canned Heat would find a stash of rare 78's,
    keep one & break the rest to insure the solo copies value
    so
    i guess mcf's practice is not THAT bad

my spirit guide big Ray has found vast quanities of rare 45 titles &
    always has been able to maintain a decent price without resorting to
    "antiqueing" the merch

if everyone played the game the same it would be boring
    & there would be no heroes or villians

ps - hookup was being hypothetical,
    dude is so the oppisite of shady (defined as tuffcity) it's almost comical to see folks
    get asshurt & plan sabotoge
    (now his boss' failure to reward a good employee is nagl)

((& if his boss is reading this thread, i'm the short dude with long hair who comes by to purchase opera on the weekly))

although I said I was bowing out of this thread, I had to pop back in and thank you and the others who have had kind words about me and in all fairness say my bossman rewards me quite often record-wise and $ wise(he often will throw Shingaling and I a Ulysses S Grant each out of the blue in the middle of the day saying "thanks for doing a good job") He actually thought about this whole Fab 6 situation for a couple weeks, he just didnt shoot me down when I told him I wanted it, he actually thought about it for awhile...so I aint mad.

• I guess I'll put some words in here -

Not that I have to justify what I did but to clarify, yeah, it was some paranoid, semi-shady shit but when your boss just threw down for two massive collections ($35,000+ each), and you're at square one as to getting the money back you tend to get paranoid. Especially when a few 20 count boxes of rare northern soul titles are your quickest way to get the loot back up. Also, the quicker you get your money back off these records, the less you have to charge people who come into your store for the thousands of other super good records because you made your money (or close to it) already.

Secondly, there's no union for record dealers, there's no company stock options, there's no 401k plan, no massive retirement planning. There's records and that's it, so protecting your investment at all costs makes absolute sense when you do this for a living. It probably bugs me just as much when I hear of someone getting over on some old geezer record dealer for a $1000 record, that dealer with no health insurance and not much paid into social security.

Third, it's not like this is an everyday practice in the world of MCF. I wake up, get some coffee, and the decide which records I'm going to fuck up over my first cigarette. 99.9% of my time I'm trying to get good records to good people for better than good prices. This was years ago, those records have been sold, it's in the past. We made our money and a lot of people got really good, minty records, a lot of people on this board in fact.

Thanks to those who stood up for me, I feel loved, all warm and fuzzy but in a manly way.

And shit yeah, this is guppy shit in a world of record sharks so relax.

Peace,
    MCF

Sensible post.

and far from the image i had in my head of the wild-eyed record dealer brandishing an icepick...

Anyway, i thought id add a little positivity to this thread seeing as i was on a bit of an angry mission last night.

You might wanna consider the NSFWness of this before clicking.

Gentlemen, i present you the best job in the world.

Vida Guerra: the rubdown.

Vida Guerra Rub Down - Watch more free videos

• I've never seen you so angry before. It frightened me.

I've never seen you so angry before. It frightened me.

it frightened me.

take one two year old who has just discovered the art of the temper tantrum, add a 2 month baby who thinks nights are for partying, a wife who has had as little sleep as you, a boss who lives in cloud cookooland and a hangover.

I call it Wednesday.