ya ever fuck up a record on purpose before you...

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
sent it out? We got this 45 at the shop I was lusting after...KILLER early RnB, The Fabulous Six "Lamb Chops" on Bootheel, with some gnarly guitar that I hypothisized was Ike Turner because of the sound and style of guitar and the fact it was either a Memphis or St. Louis record. I put dibs on it but the bossman was unsure about it as it could go for money since it is pretty raer...so up on ebay it goes...only went for $10, I wasnt about to bid on it because the IP Addys would have matched and we could get in trouble for shill bidding even though it would have been a legit bid...so to winning bidder it goes...got the paypal payment, from a "TuffCity" email address, which pisss me off even more, because it might end up on some bullshit pirate comp those douchetards are known to put out...I dont want this to happen, even though it probably wont, but dang..what would you do?

Comments

• I aint gonna do anything to it on second thought...but please indulge me with your feelings on the subject of any aspect of this post...R&B, Tuff City, where to get another copy of this little monster...

• I never fucked up a record I sold, but when I use to work for this local shop with a total asshole running it, I would run my fingernails across a side of an lp to give it some scratches that would play fine but get him to give it up cheap or free. scandolous.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Why didn't you just bid from a different PC?

I occasionally have to resort to bidding on stuff the store I work at sells. Actually I'm pretty sure I did at least once on the store's computer BITD (before I was aware that was a no-no).

I actually I almost posted in that thread you started on 'auctions you're pissed you missed' regarding an ungoogleable LP I was sweating and had made known my intentions to get that ended up being sold on ebay while I was on vacation for min bid 7.98. I think I may have found the same copy at a Japanese store online though, so maybe there will be a happy ending after all...

Now that you're actually looking for the 45 you'll find it again at some point, at least...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    Tell your boss you'll give him ___ times more for it and agree to concoct a story to tell Tuffcity about how a new employee accidently dropped it and a huge chuck flew off of it.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    Should have posted this a week earlier and had someone from here bid on it for you. I'd have done it.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    I aint gonna do anything to it on second thought...but please indulge me with your feelings on the subject of any aspect of this post...R&B, Tuff City, where to get another copy of this little monster...

Tuff City have a vinyl carver in their basement. Feel better now?

• sent it out? We got this 45 at the shop I was lusting after...KILLER early RnB, The Fabulous Six "Lamb Chops" on Bootheel, with some gnarly guitar that I hypothisized was Ike Turner because of the sound and style of guitar and the fact it was either a Memphis or St. Louis record. I put dibs on it but the bossman was unsure about it as it could go for money since it is pretty raer...so up on ebay it goes...only went for $10, I wasnt about to bid on it because the IP Addys would have matched and we could get in trouble for shill bidding even though it would have been a legit bid...so to winning bidder it goes...got the paypal payment, from a "TuffCity" email address, which pisss me off even more, because it might end up on some bullshit pirate comp those douchetards are known to put out...I dont want this to happen, even though it probably wont, but dang..what would you do?

Could you of just been "hey, lemme just pay you this 'nice' amount of cash so I can have it while you make some money?

How much did it sell for?

• At one store around here, with mostly unpriced stock, they're not afraid to quote you top prices, but if the LP looks to be in poor condition, they'll just say "$5", like no matter what. I've gotten some cheap copies of raer LPs that are covered in a layer of dirt or something, taken them home and one run through the nitty gritty and good as new... So, every once in a while, the idea crosses my mind to find a way to spread some dirt all over a record in the shop so I can get it cheap... never actually done it though

• only went for $10

Could you of just been "hey, lemme just pay you this 'nice' amount of cash so I can have it while you make some money?

How much did it sell for?

• A long time ago I came up on stock of a pretty pricey 45. I spread the sales out over a few different Ebay names and sold some to a few dealers also. But before I sold or listed one, I would "rough" it up a bit. Put a couple of "X" marks in pencil on each side, take a file to the edge and put a little grind on it, run my fingernail across it to make a non-audible scuff, rub some dirt on the labels. I did this for two reasons. One, so it would not look like someone came up on a pile of stock copies of these and drop the price. Two, so if it came down to it, I would most likely be the only person with a truly Mint copy.

There's something spiritual and sick at the same time about running your fingernail across the pristine vinyl of a $1000+ 45.

MCF

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    Two, so if it came down to it, I would most likely be the only person with a truly Mint copy.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    A long time ago I came up on stock of a pretty pricey 45. I spread the sales out over a few different Ebay names and sold some to a few dealers also. But before I sold or listed one, I would "rough" it up a bit. Put a couple of "X" marks in pencil on each side, take a file to the edge and put a little grind on it, run my fingernail across it to make a non-audible scuff, rub some dirt on the labels. I did this for two reasons. One, so it would not look like someone came up on a pile of stock copies of these and drop the price. Two, so if it came down to it, I would most likely be the only person with a truly Mint copy.

There's something spiritual and sick at the same time about running your fingernail across the pristine vinyl of a $1000+ 45.

MCF

This is really strange, nuerotic behavior.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    A long time ago I came up on stock of a pretty pricey 45. I spread the sales out over a few different Ebay names and sold some to a few dealers also. But before I sold or listed one, I would "rough" it up a bit. Put a couple of "X" marks in pencil on each side, take a file to the edge and put a little grind on it, run my fingernail across it to make a non-audible scuff, rub some dirt on the labels. I did this for two reasons. One, so it would not look like someone came up on a pile of stock copies of these and drop the price. Two, so if it came down to it, I would most likely be the only person with a truly Mint copy.

MCF

Chris told me this too, I have no clue what's going through y'alls mind up there...

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

MCF

Chris told me this too, I have no clue what's going through y'alls mind up there...

i am confounded on this as well
    unless you found 100 copies of a rae ass 45 why wouldn't you just sell it as dead mint?

as for the hookup,you should have bought that 45 and pissed on it,smeared dog shit on it and then sent it to arrron fucks
    it boggles the mind why you didn't bid from another computer and cover it in shit
    and then offer it too hime at an inflated dog shit smeared rate

sent it out? We got this 45 at the shop I was lusting after...KILLER early RnB, The Fabulous Six "Lamb Chops" on Bootheel, with some gnarly guitar that I hypothisized was Ike Turner because of the sound and style of guitar and the fact it was either a Memphis or St. Louis record. I put dibs on it but the bossman was unsure about it as it could go for money since it is pretty raer...so up on ebay it goes...only went for $10, I wasnt about to bid on it because the IP Addys would have matched and we could get in trouble for shill bidding even though it would have been a legit bid...so to winning bidder it goes...got the paypal payment, from a "TuffCity" email address, which pisss me off even more, because it might end up on some bullshit pirate comp those douchetards are known to put out...I dont want this to happen, even though it probably wont, but dang..what would you do?

here's what you do: don't send the record, keep it. when you get an inquiry from tuffcity in a couple weeks like "where's my record?" say some shit about how it must have got lost & then refund his paypal payment.

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

MCF

That's some fucked up shady behavior. No one should ever intentionally de-value a record. Not only is your motivation selfishness, but you're disrespecting the artist that created that music you're now making money off of.

That's some fucked up shady behavior. No one should ever intentionally de-value a record. Not only is your motivation selfishness, but you're disrespecting the artist that created that music you're now making money off of.

what the fuck are you talking about?

an artist is not a piece of plastic

he was talking about keeping the value the same anyway, by not making it seem like 'quantity' appeared.

a real fear in the rare records market.

• high_chigh_c 1,384 Posts
    though seeing that this whole issue is now ON THE INTERNET & CAN BE READ BY ANYONE IN THE WORLD and that the names of the SELLER & BUYER as well as all the FACTS OF THE CASE have been clearly stated, I think you should probably just bite the bullet and send it.

^That was actaully my first ride on the moral high horse. Wasn't feelin it.

I once (coincidentally with an R&Bish 45) sold a record for I dunno $65-70ish on ebay and then played it one final time before boxing it and at that point decided that I liked the thing more than I remembered. Played it a second time and decided I'd keep it and proceeded to refund dude's money, telling him the condition was way rougher than I remembered and that i wouldn't be able to sell him such a poorly graded 45 as I wouldn't want him to be disappointed. My bad! And my dearest appologies!

I've done that only once.

• sent it out? We got this 45 at the shop I was lusting after...KILLER early RnB, The Fabulous Six "Lamb Chops" on Bootheel, with some gnarly guitar that I hypothisized was Ike Turner because of the sound and style of guitar and the fact it was either a Memphis or St. Louis record. I put dibs on it but the bossman was unsure about it as it could go for money since it is pretty raer...so up on ebay it goes...only went for $10, I wasnt about to bid on it because the IP Addys would have matched and we could get in trouble for shill bidding even though it would have been a legit bid...so to winning bidder it goes...got the paypal payment, from a "TuffCity" email address, which pisss me off even more, because it might end up on some bullshit pirate comp those douchetards are known to put out...I dont want this to happen, even though it probably wont, but dang..what would you do?

here's what you do: don't send the record, keep it. when you get an inquiry from tuffcity in a couple weeks like "where's my record?" say some shit about how it must have got lost & then refund his paypal payment.

Thats what I want to do, but the bossman doesnt want to do that...he wants everything to be on the up and up, goddamn ethics.

• though seeing that this whole issue is now ON THE INTERNET & CAN BE READ BY ANYONE IN THE WORLD and that the names of the SELLER & BUYER as well as all the FACTS OF THE CASE have been clearly stated, I think you should probably just bite the bullet and send it.

^That was actaully my first ride on the moral high horse. Wasn't feelin it.

I once (coincidentally with an R&Bish 45) sold a record for I dunno $65-70ish on ebay and then played it one final time before boxing it and at that point decided that I liked the thing more than I remembered. Played it a second time and decided I'd keep it and proceeded to refund dude's money, telling him the condition was way rougher than I remembered and that i wouldn't be able to sell him such a poorly graded 45 as I wouldn't want him to be disappointed. My bad! And my dearest appologies!

I've done that only once.

Yeah I know, I was hopin to get some beef from TuffCity...I hate those douchetards...

it will be sent, as a strutter has just PM'd me and offered me one in better condition than the one I just sold...I HEART SOULSTRUT!

that record looks pretty New Orleans-ish?

must be that 'font' / typeface.

• that record looks pretty New Orleans-ish?

Nah..Bootheel, as far as I know, was a label outta Missouri, but Earl Forrest, the producer of the record, made his career in St. Louis and Memphis(and Houston after Duke relocated), but yeah he coulda recorded in NOLA as well, it does look like a NOLA record , but Im thinking St. Louis or Memphis ...which also leads me to believe it is Ike Turner on guitar since he also did a lot of recording in both cities as well...and his signature "strangled vibrato" guitar style is all over this thing...

Thats what I want to do, but the bossman doesnt want to do that...he wants everything to be on the up and up, goddamn ethics.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

that record looks pretty New Orleans-ish?

Nah..Bootheel, as far as I know, was a label outta Missouri, but Earl Forrest, the producer of the record, made his career in St. Louis and Memphis(and Houston after Duke relocated), but yeah he coulda recorded in NOLA as well, it does look like a NOLA record , but Im thinking St. Louis or Memphis ...which also leads me to believe it is Ike Turner on guitar since he also did a lot of recording in both cities as well...and his signature "strangled vibrato" guitar style is all over this thing...

it looks different than other Bootheels I've seen (Willie Cobb I think?) - which were 'Rite' pressings out of Ohio with that cool center dip.

anyway - a soundclip is the difference between 10 & 100 on a record like this...

---

• TomOTomO 169 Posts

he was talking about keeping the value the same anyway, by not making it seem like 'quantity' appeared.

an artist is not a piece of plastic i agree - but when it's an obscure band that cut a great track in small numbers on 45 decades ago, and all the band members are probably dead, you might as well be disrespecting their music. There's no guarantee that any more will ever get pressed as a reissue - for all you know you're ruining some of the last decent condition copies in existence. surely everybody here got to understand that, even if some of you aren't keen on the preaching?

an artist is not a piece of plastic i agree - but when it's an obscure band that cut a great track in small numbers on 45 decades ago, and all the band members are probably dead, you might as well be disrespecting their music. There's no guarantee that any more will ever get pressed as a reissue - for all you know you're ruining some of the last decent condition copies in existence. surely everybody here got to understand that, even if some of you aren't keen on the preaching?

oh sure, I think it's madness, I just wouldn't go as far as saying it's an disrespect to the artist.

it's for fear of this happening:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.p...d=adate&thumbs=

sort by date & you'll see what I mean.

• That's some fucked up shady behavior. No one should ever intentionally de-value a record. Not only is your motivation selfishness, but you're disrespecting the artist that created that music you're now making money off of.

oh sure, I think it's madness, I just wouldn't go as far as saying it's an disrespect to the artist.

it's for fear of this happening:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.p...d=adate&thumbs=

sort by date & you'll see what I mean.

Have no idea of value, you tell me. NO RESERVE! --- comedy

Almost every auction by the same guy. I remember seeing them listed each time going lower and lower and lower as he flooded the ebay market.

Have no idea of value, you tell me. NO RESERVE! --- comedy

Almost every auction by the same guy. I remember seeing them listed each time going lower and lower and lower as he flooded the ebay market.

some people should not sell records, a couple antique & coin guys each got ahold of some of these & the value has dropped from 5000 to 250, no amount of scuffing & fake wear will help when you have to move 500 copies!

I like the record, I traded a 25 count box of a modern soul record for a copy. a 25 count box of a record that a dealer friend of mine has 2500 copies of!

• ZEN2ZEN2 1,540 Posts

He was talking about keeping the value of HIS copy the same while making money off of defaced vinyl.

If he was really concerned about the value depreciating, he should have just sat on the box and only let one periodically.

• Have no idea of value, you tell me. NO RESERVE! --- comedy

some people should not sell records, a couple antique & coin guys each got ahold of some of these & the value has dropped from 5000 to 250, no amount of scuffing & fake wear will help when you have to move 500 copies!

I like the record, I traded a 25 count box of a modern soul record for a copy. a 25 count box of a record that a dealer friend of mine has 2500 copies of!

http://cgi.ebay.com/CLARA-HARDY-on-TUNA-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Looks like this guy still has a stack of them.. i'm about to msg and see if he'll say how many more he has incase i'd wanna buy a few.