ya ever fuck up a record on purpose before you...

Comments

• That's some fucked up shady behavior. No one should ever intentionally de-value a record. Not only is your motivation selfishness, but you're disrespecting the artist that created that music you're now making money off of.

what the fuck are you talking about?

an artist is not a piece of plastic

he was talking about keeping the value the same anyway, by not making it seem like 'quantity' appeared.

a real fear in the rare records market.

an artist is not a piece of plastic i agree - but when it's an obscure band that cut a great track in small numbers on 45 decades ago, and all the band members are probably dead, you might as well be disrespecting their music. There's no guarantee that any more will ever get pressed as a reissue - for all you know you're ruining some of the last decent condition copies in existence. surely everybody here got to understand that, even if some of you aren't keen on the preaching?

oh sure, I think it's madness, I just wouldn't go as far as saying it's an disrespect to the artist.

it's for fear of this happening:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.p...d=adate&thumbs=

sort by date & you'll see what I mean.

hahahaha, jeff was so pissed about this.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    he wasn't talking about making the records unplayable, just bruising them superficially so it looked like they didn't just come fresh out of a 25 count box!

northern soul collectors are mostly interested in one-off pieces, the value may not hold if talk gets around that someone is sitting on a couple boxes.

hahahaha, jeff was so pissed about this.

he bought 10 copies at 500 apiece thinking he was getting all of them.

fuuuuuuuuuuck, who wouldn't be pissed.

good thing he offed 'em before it was too late.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    You don't have the right to complain about finding thrashed rare records if you consider damaging them yourself. I can't believe that's considered to be acceptable behavior. You should be happy that you found a box of good records, sell/trade some copies, and yeah, make the damn price go down and stop artificially inflating it. It's happened with a lot of records when boxes of deadstock have been discovered, and it's the right thing to do. Some of y'all need to learn how to share.

Plus, even if this dude bought the record for $10 he may have been looking for it for a long time, you should know that price doesn't equate value. This guy might be real excited that he finally found the 45 that you're considering scratching up.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    re: quantity - I had 4 copies of Emanuel Lasky on DT,
    and wanted to sell them on Soul Source ... of course, I
    wasn't advertising that I had 4 copies, even though
    it wasn't signifigant quantity, but I still had to assure
    every single dude that inquired about buying them that NO,
    I DO NOT HAVE A 50 COUNT BOX OF THESE. Not because they wanted
    more copies, but because they were deathly afraid of paying
    125 GBP for a record that was going to flood the market. The
    scarcity of the title was everything to them.

Some of y'all need to learn how to share.

you have got to fucking be kidding me.

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts

ha!

you have too many copies of your records

Cool, so we should all just hoard a box of rare records for the sole purpose of making money, and to keep the value and percieved rarity up, scratch up some copies, maybe sell through a few different eBay names, etc. You make a lot of friends that way, really build up peoples trust in you selling records and all.

Sure, don't let out all your copies at once, and you don't have to announce that you have a whole box, but come on. Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking ridiculous behavior to scratch up a record just so that you can dupe people into thinking that you aren't sitting on a box of them? Do you really think that respectable record dealers make moves like this?

ha ha.

yeah, when I had 5 copies of the Sims Sisters & was asking 75 for it there were "too many copies...it should be $25"

yet dude apparently has multiple boxes of a gospel record he was asking 400 apiece for.

[/eyerolling graemlin]

wonder how many of those he sold?

Sure, don't let out all your copies at once, and you don't have to announce that you have a whole box, but come on. Am I the only one who thinks this is fucking ridiculous behavior to scratch up a record just so that you can dupe people into thinking that you aren't sitting on a box of them? Do you really think that respectable record dealers make moves like this?

I would say that this is relatively tame behavior for 45 a dealer.

ha ha.

yeah, when I had 5 copies of the Sims Sisters & was asking 75 for it there were "too many copies...it should be $25"

yet dude apparently has multiple boxes of a gospel record he was asking 400 apiece for.

[/eyerolling graemlin]

wonder how many of those he sold?

What ever happened to that dude? Is he still around? It's about time for him to jump genres isn't it?

I guess I just don't happen to think dudes like this are all that respectable or honest then.

Do you really think that respectable record dealers make moves like this?

obviously they do, the guy that described this technique at the start of the thread has moved heavy pieces for years ^ and has a great reputation in the buyer community I might add.

I wouldn't do that myself, I just don't see it as necessary, seems a bit paranoid if you ask me - but I understand the motivation behind it. controlling supply is basic business, go holler about 'let's share' to OPEC or your neighborhood dope slanger

• only went for $10

Could you of just been "hey, lemme just pay you this 'nice' amount of cash so I can have it while you make some money?

How much did it sell for?

You should of broken dude off with that Jackson type guap, son. Scared money don't get no breakbear-raer, god. If you need dough I got that work, I'm flippin' them birds.

What ever happened to that dude? Is he still around? It's about time for him to jump genres isn't it?

he won a gospel record from me a couple months back, so I guess he's still at it.

didn't Paycheck say he got into a fight with Dante at WFMU?

I should roll out there this year & see if gurney wants to battle!

I should roll out there this year & see if gurney wants to battle!

Yes! I'll begin raising money to finance a camera crew.

• Deep_SangDeep_Sang 1,081 Posts
    I don't really have any opinion of the ethics behind scratching up records before selling them, but...

I really like the theory of "I AM GOING TO SCRATCH UP MY RECORDS SO THAT THEY WILL BE MORE VALUABLE"

Regardless of whether or not that works, that has to be the most counter-intuitive theory EVAR. But I wish that worked for all the records I'm sitting on!

• Some of y'all need to learn how to share.

I guess I just don't happen to think dudes like this are all that respectable or honest then.

since when are 45 dealers honest ??

• only went for $10

Could you of just been "hey, lemme just pay you this 'nice' amount of cash so I can have it while you make some money?

How much did it sell for?

You should of broken dude off with that Jackson type guap, son. Scared money don't get no breakbear-raer, god. If you need dough I got that work, I'm flippin' them birds.

oh, I offered the bossman a lot more for it, but he wanted to ebay it in case it went for a lot more...I just didnt want to bid on it considering I use my work and home computer to access the store's ebay and my personal ebay, and I didnt want to risk a shill bid suspension...

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Thank god I don't collect 45's. You guys sound hella unethical and stuff. Does the fact they they are so small make the temptation to be Golem-like all the more irrestibale or what?

"I AM GOING TO SCRATCH UP MY RECORDS SO THAT THEY WILL BE MORE VALUABLE"

I'm so lazy I just buy 'em pre-scratched.

"I AM GOING TO SCRATCH UP MY RECORDS SO THAT THEY WILL BE MORE VALUABLE"

I'm so lazy I just buy 'em pre-scratched.

lol

• Thank god I don't collect 45's. You guys sound hella unethical and stuff. Does the fact they they are so small make the temptation to be Golem-like all the more irrestibale or what?

They even look like rings...

Does the fact they they are so small make the temptation to be Golem-like all the more irrestibale or what?

rare 45 collecting & dealing is a murky cesspool of grasping dishonesty, underhanded moves, backstabbing, questionable sourcing & that's not even getting into those who collect the many many many many many acetates that were never actually released

• such a bad fucking look!

glad i don't deal with any strutters on ebay... shady as fuck.

such a bad fucking look!

How many $1000 records have you bought?

• actually $800 is as high as i have gone.

• such a bad fucking look!

this was an isolated incident and it was won by Aaron Fuchs, one of the shadiest motherfuckers out there...so I dont feel bad about contemplating giving him his $10 back or sratching his record...would only ever do this to him, George Bush or Bill O'Rielly

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Does the fact they they are so small make the temptation to be Golem-like all the more irrestibale or what?

rare 45 collecting & dealing is a murky cesspool of grasping dishonesty, underhanded moves, backstabbing, questionable sourcing & that's not even getting into those who collect the many many many many many acetates that were never actually released

I can only hope that some of the goodness, honesty and integrity of lp collecting will rub off on you sad people one day.

b/w

I will host any live webcam action of a soul_hawk vs. gurney WFMU showdown.