goin through and organizing the rekkids

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited October 2007 in Strut Central
well, coming home and seeing my closet and record room cleaned up by my girl was the catalyst for me to organize my records and get rid of a bunch. I still use the old-school long wooden crates (hold about 150 LPs) and decided that I should have no more than 2 to 3 crates of any give genre...that seems like a sensible amount for listening and DJing...the genres are as follows Jazz, Soul/Funk and RnB/Blues, Latin/International/Reggae, 60s Rock, Psych/Prog, Metal/Proto Metal/Hard Rock, Country/Folk/Classical/Hip Hop(put together as the numbers are low in these genres),70s Rock, 80s rock/punk/Hardcore, 90s and newer rock....so far I have about 200 records to get rid of now...I even went so far as to alphabetize the Jazz...which led me to pull out some records I havent listened to in a LONG while, currently enjoying Freddie Hubbard "The Night of Cookers" Volume One ("Walkin'" is INTENSE)...Also gonna put the baller LPs ($75 and up) in a flight case and the baller 45s($50 and up) in a case as to grab in case of natural disaster/house is on fire/gotta get the fuck outta dodge NOW situation, which hopefully will never happen.For the first time, in well, ever, my records are gonna be organized..its a good feeling.

Comments

• I have always seen pieces as $500 and up or at least 150. Wish I had this one.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...I:IT&ih=013

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have always seen pieces as $500 and up or at least 150. Wish I had this one.

Thank you for providing us with this lesson in ballerdom.

We will all now recalibrate our ball-o-meters.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I have always seen pieces as $500 and up or at least 150. Wish I had this one.

Depends on your tax bracket. Baller for me is anything over $50, although there are some cheaper things I'd really hate to lose.

• I have always seen pieces as $500 and up or at least 150. Wish I had this one.

If people are balling out on $50 that's some mediocre ballin' if I might say so.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Congratulations, this thread is officially derailed

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Ha, Baller for BOSCOE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I am either going to sell at an upcoming show or do a set sale - this is the plan before the end of the year. I am dreading the work and the decision-making, but like you said, can't wait for coming across records I forgot about and the general good feelings associated with getting things in order. I don't buy to sell, so this will be hard, letting go of things...what if I fee like hearing that ______________ record three years from now?????

If people are balling out on $50 that's some mediocre ballin' if I might say so.

Well, considering my $50 and up 45s are numbered in the 100s, I think that is worthy of a special "case" or two, but maybe, just maybe someday I will have cool records like you...

you are a douchetard.

• Congratulations, this thread is officially derailed

You mean this thread actually had a direction???? Far as I can tell it was some thinking to myself shit being typed out in public. What kind of responses was he looking for?? someone to agree with those statements about the dissorder of his collection? Yes clean that shit up and organize that mess of a record room!!

far as ballin' goes you guys need to step it up cause no such thing as balln on a budget!

You mean this thread actually had a direction???? Far as I can tell it was some thinking to myself shit being typed out in public. What kind of responses was he looking for?? someone to agree with those statements about the dissorder of his collection? Yes clean that shit up and organize that mess of a record room!!

far as ballin' goes you guys need to step it up cause no such thing as balln on a budget!

Well, I posted it to see if anyone had done the same thing recently, wanted to share how they organized their records, etc... but,maybe, just maybe I will contribute AMAZING, INFORMATIVE threads like you do!

You are a douchetard.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

how much do you spend monthly on records?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    im in the process of moving and having those boxes from UHAUL are a godsend. perfect for packing and moving. but i do realize i have a lot of stuff that i don't know why i have in the first place so im looking to purge about 400 records from now until i move.

although moving sucks, being almost forced to clean out your collection is nice.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

Well, I posted it to see if anyone had done the same thing recently, wanted to share how they organized their records, etc... but,maybe, just maybe I will contribute AMAZING, INFORMATIVE threads like you do!

You are a douchetard.

is obscure_addict the same dude that came to the board on a top secret mission, but stormed off promising never to return?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    looking to purge about 400 records from now until i move.

!!!!

If I bring myself to get rid of 40 records that would be amazing.

There's the time factor, too...of going through all these potential good-byes.

Are folks just saying, "OK, I haven't listened to this in over a year (or whatever) - it's outta here."?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

is obscure_addict the same dude that came to the board on a top secret mission, but stormed off promising never to return?

Yes, and already people are having trouble keeping their jealousy of him in check. Understandable, given that he has not only achieved so much in the record game but is also one of the great winners in the larger game of life. Still, we must all make an effort to muzzle ourselves, lest we drive him and his valuable contributions from the board a second time.

• Also, i find it funny that a lot of record community finds that spending a lot on records is somehow more impressive than finding expensive records cheaply by the process known as "digging", I guess the 45 I just sold for $1100 that was found for a dollar isnt as impressive as buying a record for a $1000 and selling it for $1100...I need to brush up on my "baller economics"

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    BALLEURNOMICS

how much do you spend monthly on records?

On average I spend anywhere from 2,000 and up a on records every month. Most of that loot is just recycled from vinyl I sell which i don't like. I work a regular 9-5 that gives me plenty so i've grown into having pretty bad spending habits.

• is obscure_addict the same dude that came to the board on a top secret mission, but stormed off promising never to return?

Yes, and already people are having trouble keeping their jealousy of him in check. Understandable, given that he has not only achieved so much in the record game but is also one of the great winners in the larger game of life. Still, we must all make an effort to muzzle ourselves, lest we drive him and his valuable contributions from the board a second time.

Faux, I tell you what.. If I EVER saw you in person. I'd stomp your smartass teeth right down into ya smartass throat on some violent kala shit. You are the biggest bitch upon this entire board. Go bump some of that soft bitchass RKelly bullshit and get back to me when you grow a sack.

Mr.know.it.all.you.cant.never.fade.me.son!

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts

• Is that your lapdog???

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

• piedpiperpiedpiper 1,279 Posts

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    "Everybody needs a little time away," I heard her say, "from each
    other."
    "Even lover's need a holiday far away from each other."
    Hold me now.
    It's hard for me to say I'm sorry.
    I just want you to stay.

After all that we've been through,
    I will make it up to you. I promise to.
    And after all that's been said and done,
    You're just the part of me I can't let go.

Couldn't stand to be kept away just for the day from your body.
    Wouldn't wanna be swept away, far away from the one that I love.
    Hold me now.
    It's hard for me to say I'm sorry.
    I just want you to know.
    Hold me now.
    I really want to tell you I'm sorry.
    I could never let you go.

And after all that's been said and done,
    You're just the part of me I can't let go.

You're gonna be the lucky one.

• Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Just to show you guys what i'm doing... inbetween talking shit on glorious soulstrut.com I run this million dollar cnc machine. So if i'm not responding it's cause i'm working.

I think you mean, "Take that shit to Mr.know.it.all.you.cant.never.fade.me.son.com!"

But I disagree on the "there ain't no such thing as balling on a budget" point. I work at a non-profit, so my entire financial situation is based upon that premise. Anyone know of any non-profit/charitable organizations that pay six figures?

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts

I think you mean, "Take that shit to Mr.know.it.all.you.cant.never.fade.me.son.com!"

But I disagree on the "there ain't no such thing as balling on a budget" point. I work at a non-profit, so my entire financial situation is based upon that premise. Anyone know of any non-profit/charitable organizations that pay six figures?

NYSE

or become a fund raiser. Helps if you look good in a cocktail dress.

• Mr.know.it.all.you.cant.never.fade.me.son!

NYSE

Working for non-profit is great, but like you said it def don't bring in the big dollars. We do a lot of work here for "save the children" they're always placing orders with us for large cut to size Acrylic. I'm just saying imo a baller is not considering $50 to be anywhere near the realm of a raer piece.

And to TheHookUp, finding a record for $1 and reselling for $1,000 also does not qualify as potential baller status either.

I do work in fundraising (we call it Foundation Development). I look pretty damn good in a suit, too, although I'm probably too hirsute to rock a cocktail dress.

But back to the lesson at hand???if flipping a $1 purchase into a $1000 sale ain't ballin', what is?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

I do work in fundraising (we call it Foundation Development). I look pretty damn good in a suit, too, although I'm probably too hirsute to rock a cocktail dress.

But back to the lesson at hand???if flipping a $1 purchase into a $1000 sale ain't ballin', what is?

Blue collar work for white collar pay.