Evar lose a record in your collection?

yoigotbeatsyoigotbeats 1,667 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
I have this jawn that I haven't thought about in years, so last night I go to pull it out to play at my gig tonight and IT'S NOT THERE. My shit is in alpha-order and I just merged a new batch a few weeks ago, so it's (supposedly) not missplaced. Please regale the crowd with missing jawns you know haven't been nicked from your spot but still no where in sight.

Comments

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have this jawn that I haven't thought about in years, so last night I go to pull it out to play at my gig tonight and IT'S NOT THERE. My shit is in alpha-order and I just merged a new batch a few weeks ago, so it's (supposedly) not missplaced. Please regale the crowd with missing jawns you know haven't been nicked from your spot but still no where in sight.

I keep my collection meticulously alphabetized... which, of course, doesn't do any good when you can't remember the name of the artist, which seems to happen a lot as I get older.

• I keep my collection meticulously alphabetized...

I thought I did as well. I've since looked where it's supposed to be as well have gone thru the C's in their entirity 3-4 times this morning.

• I had exactly the same problem last week, went looking for a 12" to check something for someone on another board and it wasn't where it should be !!!
    It took me 2 hours to track it down...

• I lost my Jeru tha Damaja "sun rises in the east" record #1, found it in my Stevie Wonder Anthology 4LP 5 years later. How the f*$# did it get in there.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I have a friend who I play with who always loses records, I have found a couple of his records in sleeves of mine and about half the time I get a call asking 'hey, did I leave this in your crate?' This is shocking to me!
    Right now, I have a Turkish 45 (his) in a Lebanese 45 sleeve (mine) from the last time we played together and it better be a straight switch and not a hunting expedition through all his 45 sleeves.

I refuse to believe it is lost, but right now I cannot find my No Love/Love Money 12...I've checked the two places it could be and nothing. I have a sick feeling in my tummy about it.

• TabaskoTabasko 1,357 Posts
    I lost my Jeru tha Damaja "sun rises in the east" record #1, found it in my Stevie Wonder Anthology 4LP 5 years later. How the f*$# did it get in there.

I found Black Caesar in a Al Green sleeve yesterday.

• I had a Donald Byrd with Voices somewhere that I was looking for to sell but couldn't find it.

I keep my stuff well organized and alpha by genre as well. I must have accidentally sold that in a batch of throw away stuff. Bummer.

• i've lost one copy of the group home album, still have one though. also lost that pleasure album with "bouncy lady" on it. still have the cover so it might be stuck in with another record, but its been a few years now.... epmd's album went missing once too but i think that jacked.

• swore i had a copy of RAMP eaten by my other records,
    couldn't find it for months. record cannibalism
    turns out kinda true, found inside some gatefold...oooof.

• eaten by my other records

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    This would never be a problem if you a use a perpetual inventory system, attach bar codes to the record covers, and place them back where it was found after play.

• This would never be a problem if you a use a perpetual inventory system, attach bar codes to the record covers, and place them back where it was found after play.

trrue, but I don't want to put stickers on the LPs so they'd have to go on the 4mil outer sleeves which would - in this case - only prove that I have the record and not where it is.

I do hope it's just chilling with my Frank Owens' Brown & Serve (I still need an open copy of this!) but as of right now it's still MIA. tonight, I plan on going thru the whole shebang but in the meantime I've started calling people to get another copy.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    every time I do this it's because I was doing a mix and I put the record I was playing in the sleeve of the one that's on the other turntable by accident.

try looking for it that way.

• every time I do this it's because I was doing a mix and I put the record I was playing in the sleeve of the one that's on the other turntable by accident.

Yeah, I do this all the time...then when I can't find something I just look through stuff at that BPM and genre that I usuall mix with it...

• every time I do this it's because I was doing a mix and I put the record I was playing in the sleeve of the one that's on the other turntable by accident.

I haven't played the record literally in years. and the sleeve isn't where it's supposed to be either!

• back when i cared about having records, i would always be unable to locate this lp or that lp... if it wasn't in the spot where it was supposed to be, i would just buy another copy rather than look for it. I did this all the time.

• DeeRockDeeRock 1,836 Posts
    back when i cared about having records, i would always be unable to locate this lp or that lp... if it wasn't in the spot where it was supposed to be, i would just buy another copy rather than look for it. I did this all the time.

Did????? I STILL do this!!!!!!!! It's so much easier..........

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I only lose/misplace records when "herbal remedies" are involved.

• I lost my Stones Throw White Label #1 record. I think it was in Europe two years ago and I don't wanna drop eBay loot on it now.

• back when i cared about having records, i would always be unable to locate this lp or that lp... if it wasn't in the spot where it was supposed to be, i would just buy another copy rather than look for it. I did this all the time.

this is what I'm doing with said record.....

• Never, but NEVER put a 45 inside an LP sleeve.

More recently, I pulled an LP sleeve out of a box which I took to a gig only to find it empty. So I checked all of my other sleeves and it wasn't there either. Maybe I really did get that drunk at the gig?

• Here's how I find my records:
    I don't organize them.

Unless you have thousands of records, it should be easy to remember where you keep certain records. Sounds crazy but try it.

• Hmm. So in your eyes, what constitutes thousands? Cuz I have to have at least 3000 (maybe a little less since recent purges), and without them being organized at least by genre, I'd be totally lost.

• Hmm. So in your eyes, what constitutes thousands? Cuz I have to have at least 3000 (maybe a little less since recent purges), and without them being organized at least by genre, I'd be totally lost.
    I'm thinking 10,000+.

I guess everyone has there way of working. I'm good with memorizing where certain records are just by looking at one of 'em in the record box.
    I only have a 1000 though, so maybe it's how big the collection is, rather than my memory (which actually sucks).

yeah... when i CARED about having records. i don't really care anymore, so i don't look for anything to know if it's lost or not (and if i am looking for it it's probably to sell it anyway).
    i wish i didn't have ANY of these damned records... it would be so much easier to go out for a pack of cigarettes and never come back

I'm thinking 10,000+.

I guess everyone has there way of working. I'm good with memorizing where certain records are just by looking at one of 'em in the record box.
    I only have a 1000 though, so maybe it's how big the collection is, rather than my memory (which actually sucks).

My memory is kinda shotty too, 13+ years on the greens will do that though. I need a system to keep track of my shit. I kinda wish I only had 1000 of my favorite joints... Moving is a bitch.

• I almost always drink when I play out (since thats how most of my shitty artist freinds pay me) and often things are in the wrong sleeves (or sometimes between other records )

I have to think of what I played near it, and then often that is sleeved wrong too. So it's like a fucking IQ test -

Ceci and Terrell each have a giant beach umbrella with the same 8 colors, but the colors are in a different pattern.
    Each umbrella has 8 wedge-shaped sections of a solid color, but if 2 colors are next to each other on one umbrella they are not next to each other on the other.
    Each umbrella has one section of each of these colors: red, blue, yellow, orange, green, hot pink, purple, and white.

?? On Ceci's umbrella, blue is between red and yellow.
    ?? Yellow is never bordered by purple, green, or red.
    ?? Green is between orange and hot pink on one umbrella and between red and blue on the other.
    ?? White is between red and purple on Ceci's umbrella.
    ?? Purple borders hot pink on one umbrella and red and orange on the other.
    ?? Blue and hot pink border each other on one umbrella.
    What is the order of colors on each umbrella?

If Marvin Gaye is the same speed as Gangstarr.....

• it would be so much easier to go out for a pack of cigarettes and never come back

Phil - you're not allowed to reference The Boss unless you're talking about Diana.

• the_dLthe_dL 1,531 Posts
    and i truely thought this only happened to me?

• So funny, When you ask someone about a record, like if they have a copy. Their response is " Maybe, I have to look." You know, they have alot of damn records.