Digging in Las Vegas?

beatlustbeatlust 142 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
Im going to vegas for a buddy's 30th bday this weekend, ill have limited time for digging. Is there a nice shop near the strip?? Im goin for the usual funk, soul, and sampler fodder.. thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Comments

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    for the life of me, i have no idea how people can stay focused on trying to find records while in vegas. maybe i just hit the dranks too much when i'm out there, but i would never even think that i'd be together enough to try to find a record shop during normal business hours.

good luck though, holmes!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I always hit the Record City stores on Sahara.....both are within walking distance from the strip and I've found good stuff in both stores on annual visits.

• RICH ROSEN

• shomshom 31 Posts
    This is really good to know. Maybe digging will give me something positive to focus on aside from drinking all the time. Vegas is so devistating for me considering all of the drinking and recovering going on. Its a constant cycle man.

• RICH ROSEN

"THE RAREST OF RARE DOO-WOP"

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I always hit the Record City stores on Sahara.....both are within walking distance from the strip and I've found good stuff in both stores on annual visits.

cosign! You don't even need a car, you can just catch the Duece bus to Sahara, hop off and walk to the little purple Record City shack, conveniently located nearby at least 2 or 3 rub'n tug massage joints (don't worry, you can't miss the signs!). Then after you have perused the contents of the purple shack, walk down to their other store (not nearly as good, IMO) and on the way count the number of drug transactions you can see in front of the 7-11 next door!

Seriously, the purple shack is great for jazz and rock, and also if you collect DVDs (lots of outta print Criterions at slightly less than eBay $$). The other one is pretty much dollar bin cetral, and I am an impatient digger when it's 110 degrees outside. Be careful getting you records back in the hotel if you catch the Duece, walking in the sun even that long had me a bit worried!

• what about wax tracks? ive heard good things.. as far as the other shop im not really goin for rock and im way picky about jazz. not really into the standard jazz just the funky ish.. thanks for the replies. i am worried about walking back to the strip w/ wax melting into a puddle..

• HeddyHeddy 131 Posts
    what about wax tracks? ive heard good things..

Just be ready to answer some trivia questions so he can gauge how big of an audiophile you really are. Then based on your answers he'll determine the price of the record you want.
    i am worried about walking back to the strip w/ wax melting into a puddle..

This won't be a problem, we are having perfect weather right now. Highs in the 80s/Lows in the 60s

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    Many travelers trek cross the desert and come here in search for buried treasure. When many of us here already have found many things. Ironically, we dream about going where you live and bringing home something.

I'd reccomend hitting up John Doe you'll find much better stuff than you would with Rich Rosen.

- spidey

• what about wax tracks? ive heard good things..

Just be ready to answer some trivia questions so he can gauge how big of an audiophile you really are. Then based on your answers he'll determine the price of the record you want.

oh sh!t, i guess im getting taxed on pretty hard then. Im not a rookie at this but im not on some of yalls level either. since Im shopping w/ a budget itll be hard to know when iu reached my limit if i gotta do trivia first... the records arent (price)marked there? Ive got my local (denver) record show coming up in two weeks so i cant go tooo big on wax this trip. thanks for all replies. ill let you know how it goes. peace.

• Wow, wax tracks has some nice inventory for sure. But dude definatley likes to gouge the holy sh!t outta people. He kept telling me to check his re-issues and i explained to him that i wasnt really interested, id rather wait for the o.g.'s. I guess he didnt like that because dude let me really have it when he priced my little stack. Admittedly im not on any major digger stautus and ill probably get flamed for coming clean but dude ripped me off HARD. Im learning about groups and album covers to look for but i dont have a record price guide committed to memory and he took full advantage. I cannot really understand how he can maintain this way. Im not really pissed off a much as i am disppointed. It just seems like poor business ethics. He warned me he was pricey but i didnt think it would be like that though. I never experienced the trivia question shakedown and he gave me a little bit of confidence as he told m i kinda knew my stuff when we chatted briefly about Ramp and Foster Sylvers among others in his stacks. Im just in shock that i got taken so hard. I couldnt wait to get on ebay to get a pricing guidline on my new finds and my heart just sank.

Anyone else man enough to admit to paying too much for wax in a past moment of ignorance?

Perhaps he was waiting for me to negotiate w/ him but iwas too tired and blurred from the whole vegas experience to even think about it. I guess im really showing my amatuerish colors here but is this what i can expect from dealers/shop owners as time goes on? fwiw i have been digging (pretty) hard locally (sw colorado) for 5-6 years now but theres just not much around here to find. Now that my money situation is a bit better i thought id step it up some, i guess this is my hard lesson learned.

What do those of you who DONT know all record values do when you find something you want in the shops?
    I couldnt leave and come back later as i was pressed for time and on vacation, so i paid the hefty price.

Anyway the only records i got are (feel free to comment on the values of the following):

b.t. express, do it til youre satisfied (vg+)
    Roy ayers , vibrations (nm)
    roy ayers, everboby likes the sunshine (nm)
    dennis coffey, evolution (vg+[+?})

I feel like these are desirable lps to have but i was unaware of their true value, i assumed ( like a fuck!ng retarded excuse for a strutter) that i was getting a fair pricing shakedown.

Finally, i dont collect to have the most valuable collection, or for bragging rights, i just like to collect good music for me. I thought i was paying the going rates or even slightly inflated prices as he admitted to being pricey but what i experienced is just outta control.

So, do i get a little empathy or just banned from soulstrut for life?

before anyone else does ill insert this first...

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    So how much did you pay for those lps? like hundreds of dollars??

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

b.t. express, do it til youre satisfied (vg+)

I feel like these are desirable lps to have but i was unaware of their true value, i assumed ( like a fuck!ng retarded excuse for a strutter) that i was getting a fair pricing shakedown.

Well, you got shook by a pro, and no most dealers are fairly nice. Lil dudes are the only reason Rich still has a store. I tried to help you out though man. Honestly you could've just hit me up, and I would've given you those 4 lps for free.

- spidey

• kalakala 3,358 Posts
    I'm not poasting this to make you feel bad beatlust but I have found all of those records for 1 us dollar each many times over.
    At top end retail I would imagine 25 for the dennis coffy,25 for the ayers each]each and 10 for the BT express
    that would be as badly as you would get ripped off if you bought those at the sound library in nyc -if they were mint/unplayed
    those are super common major label releases that you will find for a dollar if you are in the game for 3-5 years
    patience

• b.t. express, do it til youre satisfied (vg+)

Well, you got shook by a pro, and no most dealers are fairly nice. Lil dudes are the only reason Rich still has a store. I tried to help you out though man. Honestly you could've just hit me up, and I would've given you those 4 lps for free.

- spidey

Thanks for your generosity, i shouldve hit you up but you know how vegas goes, not alotta time for meeting new people. My mistake. The worst part is after i over paid the bt express FUCKING SKIPS on 'express' AND on 'do it til your satisfied'! I checked the vinyl for major damage and it actually looks good but there are tiny skips on the two best songs..wtf? Im about ready to call dude and just go the fuck off but if he laughed at me over the phone id probably have to go on some type of killing spree! okay im just playing but really dude has me a bit heated up. i knew these werent super raer lps (or i wouldnt know about them honestly enough) but im just in shock that dude can sleep doing things like that.

• So how much did you pay for those lps? like hundreds of dollars??

yeah ill bury my pride and admit that he got me for more than $100. but not hundreds or i would have to go on a killing spree.

• AMAZING.

• those are super common major label releases that you will find for a dollar if you are in the game for 3-5 years
    patience

in my humble defense i have been doin it for some years but the area i live in (very sw corner colorado) just isnt too great for wax. the best (imo of course) piece ive been able to find for a buck or two is sylvers II. Theres just not much here besides rock and the usual george benson dollar bin fillers. The only other record heads in my area that do jazz/funk/soul are all about reissues/comps so you can imagine what im dealing with here...

The most painful part is that these are the most expensive records i have ever bought aside from new hiphop lps. I usually just stay w/ the cheaper stuff but now that money is a bit easier i thought id expand my collection into some better quality/ more expensive stuff. Now i know 'buyer beware' but dudes shadiness has me reeling HARD. Im gonna file a complaint with the better business bureau or something. im not gona just let him break it off deep in my colon and do nothing. How much would yall pay for a copy of ramp 'come into knowledge'? he was trying to get me to pay $200. i didnt buy it. anyone got a creative idea on how i can get some amount of retribution/vengance?

my wife doesnt understand why i want to move closer to denver but in my couple of years of digging locally ive NEVER seen any of these 'super comon major label releases'.

• Dude seriously I am not trying to be an asshole but it is not Rich's fault. It is your fault.

These records are not obscure, all it takes is a bit of searching on ebay and you would've turned up copies for $9.99 or less. Rich is a total fool and probably certifiable but it's not his fault you paid $100 for $30 worth of records. Unless I'm missing something, he didn't put a gun to your head.

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    How about diggin for a Rock record?

• AMAZING.

yeah i know im looking REALLY stupid right now but i havent been studying vinyl on the internet for years (not implying that you have), ive just been digging and learning by doing. i know im making excuses here but i have three kids, a tile business to run and i simply dont have all the time needed time to memorize every lp ive never heard of values. im not about to quit this thing either i just need to find more honest dealers/shop owners.

• How about diggin for a Rock record?

i have some but its not my thing.

• Dude seriously I am not trying to be an asshole but it is not Rich's fault. It is your fault.

These records are not obscure, all it takes is a bit of searching on ebay and you would've turned up copies for $9.99 or less. Rich is a total fool and probably certifiable but it's not his fault you paid $100 for $30 worth of records. Unless I'm missing something, he didn't put a gun to your head.

no arguemenet from me on that. but i bet youve been swept away in the spur of the moment before. i was outta town and i couldnt just go check ebay real quick..

no arguemenet from me on that. but i bet youve been swept away in the spur of the moment before. i was outta town and i couldnt just go check ebay real quick..

Sounds like you learned a lesson so no need to beat yourself up too much. Live and learn.

If there are records you've learned about that you're interested in, save a search on Ebay and watch them for some months maybe than try to track one down for a price you can live with.

Or only buy cheap ones and take chances on things and learn new stuff.

Sounds like you like to make beats. All those rock records are probably laden with shit you could use.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    FOR the price of all those you could of got this:

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    FOR the price of all those you could of got this:

Let's not get carried away...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    i have no control.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Funk-Rock-LP-DENNIS-...1QQcmdZViewItem
    $21.00 + $3.50 =$24.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/Roy-Ayers-Vibrations...1QQcmdZViewItem
    $2.99 + $5.00 = $7.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ROY-AYERS-EVERYBODY-...1QQcmdZViewItem
    $5.99 + $5.50 = $11.49

http://cgi.ebay.com/BT-EXPRESS-Do-it-til...1QQcmdZViewItem
    $8.99 + $4.00 = $12.99

$24.50 + $7.99 + $11.49 + $12.99 = $56.97...yep, you screwed the pooch.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Dude seriously I am not trying to be an asshole but it is not Rich's fault. It is your fault.

I don't know about people coming down on you for this, no one really should. For those of us that started digging in the 90's when all the digging websites weren't around like they are today we should try to remember the LP's we overspent on. Its a case of live and learn. I bought a Ben Vereen album back in my early days for $20, why? cause it had a Chi-ali loop on it. I don't even reember listening to the whole album. I remember my first purchase of a record off ebay being $40 for Gene Harris "Astralsignal" which I've since found something like 20 copies for for less than $5 a pop. I know better and when some other newbie comes along I'll hit him with some info that hopefully saves him from making the same mistake.

It's funny to me that this hapened in Vegas cause thats where all these record mistakes happened for me. Luckily I had good people to help guide me towards spending smarter and finding quality music (Hi John Doe, Hi S-Boogie)

alright im trying not to be redundant but i wasnt looking to go on ebay and see whats cheap (although i probably should have!!) i wanted to go to a new town and go out in the field andsee what i could find. i was warned by several people and not just here that dude was expensive so that played a part also. but youre right he didnt have a gun to my head i just expected to pay (close to)fair market value for my purchases. im not mad at anyone for their comments i might be flaming if we were to trade places. i guess i spent too much time collecting pure crap that i would get samples from that when i see something ive heard people talk about i get overly excited and have no real basis for valuing my potential purchases on my own. MY FAULT. but i still say rich is a shady dude. no respectable business owner could feel right about taking advantage of someone like that. im not really as upset as all these post make me look im just trying to get my (weak?) points across. anyway, thanks for the replies from everyone.