Digging in Las Vegas?

Comments

• Dude seriously I am not trying to be an asshole but it is not Rich's fault. It is your fault.

These records are not obscure, all it takes is a bit of searching on ebay and you would've turned up copies for $9.99 or less. Rich is a total fool and probably certifiable but it's not his fault you paid $100 for $30 worth of records. Unless I'm missing something, he didn't put a gun to your head.

no arguemenet from me on that. but i bet youve been swept away in the spur of the moment before. i was outta town and i couldnt just go check ebay real quick..

I don't know about people coming down on you for this, no one really should. For those of us that started digging in the 90's when all the digging websites weren't around like they are today we should try to remember the LP's we overspent on. Its a case of live and learn. I bought a Ben Vereen album back in my early days for $20, why? cause it had a Chi-ali loop on it. I don't even reember listening to the whole album. I remember my first purchase of a record off ebay being $40 for Gene Harris "Astralsignal" which I've since found something like 20 copies for for less than $5 a pop. I know better and when some other newbie comes along I'll hit him with some info that hopefully saves him from making the same mistake.

It's funny to me that this hapened in Vegas cause thats where all these record mistakes happened for me. Luckily I had good people to help guide me towards spending smarter and finding quality music (Hi John Doe, Hi S-Boogie)

thanks for that.

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    record store owners really are a loveable bunch aren't they?

right up there with auto mechanics

• If you have any friends with deeper record knowledge call (or text) them on your cell next time you're in a store situation like that. I have two or three friends that call me (their store owning friend) regularly from obscure flea markets and run titles by me. I've saved them many dollars over the years and there's no shame in asking about what you don't know.

• FOR the price of all those you could of got this:

You guys are such a bunch of warm hearted fuckers. Really know how to make a "regular" kinda guy feel so very regular.

I'm not clowing that this guy is overpaying on common records cause obviously nobodies schooled him before.

As someone who has a very diverse and well rounded music collection let me say those are 4 of ebays fan favs. They sell at all kinds of different prices at $10 or even more in that condition sometimes. Actually at one point during 2005/06 people kept paying $40 a copy for VG++ of the evolution on ebay. I've had trouble moving any of those 4 titles on ebay during the past year though... nothing even in near mint over $10 for those.

• If you have any friends with deeper record knowledge call (or text) them on your cell next time you're in a store situation like that. I have two or three friends that call me (their store owning friend) regularly from obscure flea markets and run titles by me. I've saved them many dollars over the years and there's no shame in asking about what you don't know.

problem is i dont know anyone personally w/ knowledge on wax unless its rock.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If you have any friends with deeper record knowledge call (or text) them on your cell next time you're in a store situation like that. I have two or three friends that call me (their store owning friend) regularly from obscure flea markets and run titles by me. I've saved them many dollars over the years and there's no shame in asking about what you don't know.

You should PM kala and obscure_addict with any "diggin" related questions. They are experts and here to help.

• ^^^ thanks.

You should PM kala and obscure_addict with any "diggin" related questions. They are experts and here to help.

Pass the buck on that knowledge dropping boi cause we both know you got none. far as me telling someone that they overpaid for a breakbeat on a widely distributed record by all means send those PM's to my box. I'll be happy to sort you out with the proper market values to pay for certain grading.

• Maybe we should set up a soulstrut newby digger helpline. "press one for funk related questions" "press two for modern soul" "press nine to report a shady dealer" etc.

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I've been going to Wax Trax for a few years now, and you just have to give it back to Rich for him to respect you.

By the last time I went I felt like I actually got a decent deal.

BTW: Has anybody from Vegas found Marvin Whoremonger yet? Does anybody out there even own a copy? I'm feeling like it was Vegas dudes, but didn't get distributed there.

At one point Rich offered me $100 for a picuture of the back of this LP. Which means if he doesn't know anything about it.....

BTW this thread is hilarious.

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts
    hmmm.. as far as I know.. Nobody in the BDJC has it yet? Maybe Doe finally got one to surface in one of his many numerous hidden thrifts shops.

- spidey

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

As someone who has a very diverse and well rounded music collection let me say blah blah blah

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts

has anyone welcomed obscure_addict back yet?

if not, let me be the first.

obscure_addict,

thanks for taking valuable time out from your six-figure salaried job, CT mansion, massive record collection & thriving ebay business to bless us with your presence - you have been sorely missed.
    to your many detractors, may I say this - at least he brings more record knowledge to the table than say, yuichi.

yours,

soul hawk

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Beatlust, my advice to you is simple - until you have a collection
    of thousands of records, you shouldn't be spending more than $10 on
    any record, unless it's something you KNOW is worth much more.
    Point being, there are tons of great albums out there for cheap -
    really, the only reason people start paying $40, $75, $100 for records
    is because they have already bought/heard "all" (and even then not really)
    the cheap stuff. I won't hate on you for overpaying for that pile, but
    I do think you should take it a little slower and not be so ready to drop
    big $$$ just because you think you might be getting a decent deal.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Full disclosure: I was just in Vegas maybe a week before Beatlust. I too asked the Strut what was going on in this town, but no one mentioned Wax Trax - a friend here in Chicago tipped me off.

I knew it would be mad expensive, but I paid the cost, specially since the 45's I bought weren't common by any stretch, and since I was on vacation, now's the time to be overspending for rare wax (something I would not do here in the Chi; as much old vinyl as I own, I'm pretty frugal when it comes to buying records).

What really hung me up was not so much the prices, but Rich's funny ways, period. He sez hi to me and I said hi back, as I streaked past him to inspect the merchandise. "No, no, before you shop you gotta talk to me!" He kept asking me over and over what I was looking for, and I told him, "something I like!" My tastes are all over the place, I'm not as narrowly focused as a lot of collectors I know, but still he wouldn't give up, so I told him "soul."

Rich: "See, that's all you had to say!"
    Me: "But what if I shift gears and want to know where your rockabilly records are?"
    Rich: "Well then, ask me and I'll show you the rockabilly!"

Nice enough guy, I reckon - typical Bleecker Bob-ish mercenary East Coast doo-wop dealer, and it's a good thing he had a customer turntable up in that joint so I could weed out the duds. So I'm satisfied. But it does amaze me how these collector-shop types with the unpriced records assume you're only into one kind of sound; this isn't the only dealer I've met who kept trying to narrow down my tastes so he could sell me some half-assed raer. I guess 'cause these record store owners are so used to seeing people looking for The Great Sample In The Sky or The Great Lost Northern Soul Single or Thee Ultimate Doo-Wop Rarity that the concept of somebody just random shopping never crossed their minds. Hey, the divider cards tell me what's what; if you wanna help me out, just price the damn records!

• SPlDEYSPlDEY Vegas 3,375 Posts

Don't tell me he stopped rapping?

- spidey

• Don't tell me he stopped rapping?

- spidey

Indie Rock now, holmes.

He's got the FULL gambit.

Did I ever tell you about the time he crashed a Monday at the Double and begged to freestyle?

30 seconds, then GAME OVER.

• BTW this thread is hilarious.

well at least this disaster of mine can make someone laugh. itll be a few days before imma laugh at this though, just give me a few..

• well im goin to the record show in denver on october 14th, lets hope i dont needlessly line the pockets of the dealers there too. nah really though imma take it easy on spending so much on single piece of wax. when rich gave me my $$ total for my picks i was extremely(!!) shocked but i figured 'okay this guy knows whats what' so i just paid and left. i was admittedly too intinmidated by his rep to try to bargain and my ignorance put me in no position to haggle w/ most anyone. I thought it wierd the ayers lps were so expensive as i have found 'mystic voyage' for a buck but i put my trust in him...NOT smart. alot of you posting here have me impressed w/ your restraint, i know im kinda asking forit.. maybe my honesty has won me some amount of pity or maybe you have just decided its not so nice to pick on the mentally challenged either way i thank you. peace.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts

Don't tell me he stopped rapping?

- spidey

Indie Rock now, holmes.

He's got the FULL gambit.

Did I ever tell you about the time he crashed a Monday at the Double and begged to freestyle?

30 seconds, then GAME OVER.
    It's GAMUT.

Thanks.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

Yes, good advice... however... should you ever find yourself in the position to ball out DO NOT overlook "many many many many acetate records which we're never actually released".

• "many many many many acetate records which we're never actually released"[/i].

Hilarious.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

Yes, good advice... however... should you ever find yourself in the position to ball out DO NOT overlook "many many many many acetate records which we're never actually released".

Don't you mean:
    "many many many many acetate records which we're never actually recorded[/b]"

Meanwhile, the above advice is on point. There's plenty of amazing music available on vinyl for $10 or less, especially if you go to yard sales, flea markets, thrift stores -- and "sleepy" record shops rather than speciality vinyl boutiques.

• Nice enough guy, I reckon - typical Bleecker Bob-ish mercenary East Coast doo-wop dealer, and it's a good thing he had a customer turntable up in that joint so I could weed out the duds. So I'm satisfied. But it does amaze me how these collector-shop types with the unpriced records assume you're only into one kind of sound; this isn't the only dealer I've met who kept trying to narrow down my tastes so he could sell me some half-assed raer. I guess 'cause these record store owners are so used to seeing people looking for The Great Sample In The Sky or The Great Lost Northern Soul Single or Thee Ultimate Doo-Wop Rarity that the concept of somebody just random shopping never crossed their minds. Hey, the divider cards tell me what's what; if you wanna help me out, just price the damn records!

I think the part people miss about cats like Rich (i actually like dealing with him cuz I play the "I know way more than you so shut the fuck up and show me the records") is that he's asking questions cuz he doesn't know shit about records that aren't doo-wop or rockabilly. It's only when you start asking for titles that he plays the "ohhhh I got it and that's really rare" and suckers you into believing you've come to the home of the grails, but in reality you're just giving him information that he uses for crate-jacking newbies.

• rosen is a cunt and he bruns my ass in pubic for real. fuck that foll.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Nice enough guy, I reckon - typical Bleecker Bob-ish mercenary East Coast doo-wop dealer, and it's a good thing he had a customer turntable up in that joint so I could weed out the duds. So I'm satisfied. But it does amaze me how these collector-shop types with the unpriced records assume you're only into one kind of sound; this isn't the only dealer I've met who kept trying to narrow down my tastes so he could sell me some half-assed raer. I guess 'cause these record store owners are so used to seeing people looking for The Great Sample In The Sky or The Great Lost Northern Soul Single or Thee Ultimate Doo-Wop Rarity that the concept of somebody just random shopping never crossed their minds. Hey, the divider cards tell me what's what; if you wanna help me out, just price the damn records!

I think the part people miss about cats like Rich (i actually like dealing with him cuz I play the "I know way more than you so shut the fuck up and show me the records") is that he's asking questions cuz he doesn't know shit about records that aren't doo-wop or rockabilly. It's only when you start asking for titles that he plays the "ohhhh I got it and that's really rare" and suckers you into believing you've come to the home of the grails, but in reality you're just giving him information that he uses for crate-jacking newbies.

With people like that, I'm almost afraid to share too much knowledge - seems like some dealers will jack up the price on you even when you DO know your shit. Yeah, I spoke music trivia with him, but cautiously. If the records are marked, then I'm more forthcoming...

• With people like that, I'm almost afraid to share too much knowledge

and you shouldn't! Fuck those turds whose only interest in the info is the hopes of fucking people over with it.

AP - I can see your point. he's like Kevin Laverty - I guy I personally think should OD, but you have a gallery of cats on here who make excuses on how dirty he did people. They rep the worse form of humans and I realize that. Would I rather deal with you, paycheck, jinx, aliet, et al - of course. But if you're in Vegas and want to come home with a semi-decent record, you deal with him and I've figured a way to interact with the dude and not walk away not feeling asshurt.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    When I was there, I only had interest in the stuff that was going for $$$. I ended up passing on the $$$ medium-raers and copped the mid-range titles that I don't tend to see a lot of around my way. When it was all set and done, I may have paid a bit more than what I probably would have at home. At the same time, I still haven't seen the records around town that I brought back from Vegas.

Dude seemed like a ballprick, but he was cool to speak with after he let me go do some shopping. DJ D-Wreck's (Wildin' Out DJ) father came in to bust the owner's balls. That was fairly amusing.

I got kind of shook when I saw the Lexus SUV in the empty parking lot. I knew then I wasn't in for a cheap shopping trip. I would go again though. I ain't sc'red.

• When I was there, I only had interest in the stuff that was going for $$$. I ended up passing on the $$$ medium-raers and copped the mid-range titles that I don't tend to see a lot of around my way. When it was all set and done, I may have paid a bit more than what I probably would have at home. At the same time, I still haven't seen the records around town that I brought back from Vegas.

Dude seemed like a ballprick, but he was cool to speak with after he let me go do some shopping. DJ D-Wreck's (Wildin' Out DJ) father came in to bust the owner's balls. That was fairly amusing.

I got kind of shook when I saw the Lexus SUV in the empty parking lot. I knew then I wasn't in for a cheap shopping trip. I would go again though. I ain't sc'red.

obscure_asslick would set dude straight