Who Here is into Jesus?

NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
edited September 2007 in Strut Central
How many Jesus heads are up on Soul Strut?Gospel listening does not count.Technically I'm half Jew (dad)/Catholic (mom) but my parent's are maad new age so I've actually never been to church a day in my life outside of weddings and funerals.Am I missing out?

Comments

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    I'm not a religious guy at all nor a christian.
    but I feel a special kinship with this fellow b/c we celebrate birth on the same day.
    when i drink scotch on this special day, i toast to the Carpenter.

THIS ONE'S FOR YOU, J-MAN!!

AND WE ALSO HAVE THE SAME HOBBIES:

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Am I missing out?

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    How many Jesus heads are up on Soul Strut?

Gospel listening does not count.

Technically I'm half Jew (dad)/Catholic (mom) but my parent's are maad new age so I've actually never been to church a day in my life outside of weddings and funerals.

Am I missing out?

30 Pager!

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    Am I missing out?

• Organized religion is so retarded...I hope to find something at some point in my life, but I guess now i'm just agnostic.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Organized religion is so retarded...I hope to find something at some point in my life, but I guess now i'm just agnostic.

An agnostic calling organised religion retarded is amusing.

I always thought that if i did find religion I'd prefer to find one with a high enrolment, preferably one of the top three - safety in numbers etc.

• MOST Organized religion is so retarded...

• one with a high enrolment

mormon

• I'm not a religious guy at all nor a christian.
    but I feel a special kinship with this fellow b/c we celebrate birth on the same day.

were you born in march too?

mormon
    I watched "Big Love" season one this weekend, if mormonism can get me Gennifer Goodwin AND Jeanne Tripplehorn, on alternating nights, sign me up

• no, but it could probably get you a couple of sheltered brainwashed fourteen year olds.

• what do you mean by "into" ?

Rastafari

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    As a Jew with a born again sister let me say that my homeboy Ghandi has the last word on this subject as far as I am concerned.

"I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

• "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

Surriously....

I was brought up Catholic, and like about 80% of the Catholics I know, consider myself "lapsed".

Reading up on Jeebus can't hurt, but getting in line behind his self-appointed representatives is extremely

• before degenerating into a predictable Catholic Bash, please consider all the hospitals, universities, social support services, etc. that begin with the word "Saint."

• I was brought up Catholic, and like about 80% of the Catholics I know, consider myself "lapsed".

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts

I'm not agreeing with Hitchens', point for point so much as the general sentiment that he's espousing.

is there anyone here who acknowledges Christ as their savior?

• I went to Catholic schools for 13 years before college, and haven't stepped foot in a church or chapel since I got my HS diploma other than for a wedding or funeral.

Some of my unpleasant memories include:

1. Watching abortion videos in religion class. Regardless of your stance on the issue, this is not a pleasant experience.
    2. I was never an altar boy, but my friends who were said the monsignor of our parish used to reek of whiskey at 7:30 mass every day.
    3. When the sex scandal stories were first breaking, we got a speech that claimed allegations were overblown and not that widespread.
    4. Having a teacher tell the whole class that she believed every word in the Bible literally, and that evolution is utter bullshit. NAGL in an academic environment.

That said, all the nuns I had were cool, I never got any rulers rapped on my knuckles or ass-paddled like my father did. And we were real good at sports, Catholic schools run high school athletics where I grew up. I was on the team for two state football titles, knocking heads in an NFL stadium was a memorable experience. And I was Jesus in the 8th grade Stations of the Cross play.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are so unlike your Christ."

Surriously....

I was brought up Catholic, and like about 80% of the Catholics I know, consider myself "lapsed".

Reading up on Jeebus can't hurt, but getting in line behind his self-appointed representatives is extremely

Word up. Though I was brought up Episcopalian--Catholic Lite, I guess. I lapsed in my teenage years and haven't looked back. I do think there are good things to be drawn from the Bible and the teachings of Jesus and all that, but I don't go for the whole ball of wax. And like many folks around here, it seems, I definitely separate faith (which I think can be a good thing) from organized religion (which I find to be highly )

• My mom was brought up Catholic and probably considers herself "lapsed" because she never took me to a Catholic church, and since she had tons of Jewish friends we ended up going to synagogue more than anything

• LuminLumin 807 Posts
    im a christian.... not always the best representation of one but i try.
    being in the industry that i work in is hella difficult to lead a strong christian life. im sure that some folks might think different by some past experience of me but im a human like everyone else.

jesus is that dude

• im a christian.... not always the best representation of one but i try.

"Nice avatar, my son."
    - Jesus

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    weird that this came up on soulstrut now.

I've been an agnostic bordering on athiesism for most of my life. A lot of that comes from going to a Jewish day school for years and seeing how much of a persons personality goes into teaching "religious beliefs"

I've been struggling the last 2 weeks to find an idea of spirituality to believe in for my own benefit. I do believe that spirituality is out there and those that have it are able to rely on it through tough times.

Christopher Hitchens and I have been sharng the same beliefs for a while I guess, although I'm trying to look past his disdain and into what keeps a hundred and 115 year old man saying "I thank god for giving me such long life", or gets a gospel singer to belt out a chune with such love.

"Nice avatar, my son."
    - Jesus

im a christian.... not always the best representation of one but i try.

"Nice avatar, my son."
    - Jesus

Matthew 13:17

"smacketh that, all on the floor, smacketh that, giveth me some more..."

• I was raised Quaker and had a Friends wedding, but I don't attend as often as I would like. I do enjoy the simplicity of it, for me it is the religion that best represents my own ideas about spirituality, but I wouldn't knock anyone else for their views. Religion has given us a lot of beautiful art, architecture, music and literature but it has also caused a lot of suffering. In the end its the people and not the religion that really cause trouble.

"Nice avatar, my son."
    - Jesus

Matthew 13:17

"smacketh that, all on the floor, smacketh that, giveth me some more..."

sheeeeeit, lumin's avatar makes me say "YES THERE IS A GOD!"