MANDRILL in new wax poetics

Comments

• pretty good...as is the kenton nix article. however, why did waxpo stop showing discog pics? makes no sense having a leroy burgess article without showing the Logg lp!!!

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I have always wondered why Swamp fucking Dogg[/b] gets so little love from strut-types.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I have always wondered why Swamp fucking Dogg[/b] gets so little love from strut-types.

I love Swamp Dogg and always will.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Cymande vs. Osibisa

Just kidding...but I have always wondered why Osibisa gets so little love from strut-types.

Osibisa stradels the line...they have some tunes that are great for the most part but take a nosedive from bad arranging or cheesy choruses, bridges...etc...not that cheesiness has ever kept a particular artist/album from getting high praise on here....

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Cymande vs. Osibisa

Just kidding...but I have always wondered why Osibisa gets so little love from strut-types.

Cause they're weak as hell - ESPECIALLY next to Cymande. Name one Osibisa "banger".

• i definitely pick Mandrill in a street fight
    i definitely pick War in terms of musicality and lasting significance of their best moments

i wouldn't be surprised if Mandrill was the more shredding live band, and i disagree with Jonny that this holds no significance

still, while i like Mandrill, War wins easily. Their music will outlive Mandrill and most other bands. A generous handfull of War songs are some time-capsule, send-off-into-space-to-alien-worlds-type material. Seriously, what Mandrill song holds that much weight?

we pretty much already had this discussion, but it's still fun...

• Cause they're weak as hell - ESPECIALLY next to Cymande. Name one Osibisa "banger".

cosignage on this statement and your sentiments about War vs Mandrill.

Aliens only want real classics.

Cymande vs. Osibisa

Cause they're weak as hell - ESPECIALLY next to Cymande. Name one Osibisa "banger".

I can give you two - "Iko Biya" (sp?) and "Phallus C" from their self-titled first album (although they do have similar chord changes!).

Seriously, that first album was a stone favorite of mine, but then I found another later album (don't remember the title, but I'd know it if I saw it - it had a blue-ish cover and they were still on Decca at that point, so it was still early) which I didn't like and promptly sold. Haven't bought another Osibisa LP since, although I'd be open to hearing some more.

As far as Cymande...those guys were unfuckwitable and I don't even have to think twice. Although I will say that like Black Heat and Maxayn, the second and third albums were superior to the first.

Now as long as we're doing the Afrofunk thing, who's gonna ride for the Beginning of the End!!

still, while i like Mandrill, War wins easily. Their music will outlive Mandrill and most other bands. A generous handfull of War songs are some time-capsule, send-off-into-space-to-alien-worlds-type material. Seriously, what Mandrill song holds that much weight?

"FENCEWALK"[/b]

(especially the edited single version, where the mid-song breakdown CUTS TO THE CHASE!)

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    i prefer the Main Ingredient anyway...JJ
    Mandrill wins.

• dayday 9,611 Posts

I can give you two - "Iko Biya" (sp?) and "Phallus C" from their self-titled first album (although they do have similar chord changes!).

1st. leisurebandit - GIVE ME BACK MY AVATAR

2nd. I've owned at least 2 of their early LP's and don't remember anything standing out. They just seemed kind of bland to me.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    why did waxpo stop showing discog pics?

Yeah that was always kind of cool, not so much for the obvious ones but for those session musicians who played on so many records but didn't always have their names on them.

And the writing in WaxPo really isn't that bad. When I pick up the SF Chronicle, or pretty much any nationwide weekly news publication - that's where I find the real bad writing.

And don't even try comparing Cymande to anyone, they're as close to GOAT as anyone in my book.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• still, while i like Mandrill, War wins easily. Their music will outlive Mandrill and most other bands. A generous handfull of War songs are some time-capsule, send-off-into-space-to-alien-worlds-type material. Seriously, what Mandrill song holds that much weight?

"FENCEWALK"[/b]

(especially the edited single version, where the mid-song breakdown CUTS TO THE CHASE!)

OK, well this is arguable, but I'll concede, Mandrill might have a couple, but it still pales in comparison w/ WAR

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• I can give you two - "Iko Biya" (sp?) and "Phallus C" from their self-titled first album (although they do have similar chord changes!).

2nd. I've owned at least 2 of their early LP's and don't remember anything standing out. They just seemed kind of bland to me.

1st. I think Jon would've wanted us both to have it
    Although now i have an idea, if i change my avatar to match one of the soulstrut elders/in-crowd, then people will (inadvertently) pay attention to my comments

2nd. I'll ride for Osibisa 1st LP. 2nd one has some heat too.

how about War vs. Cymande? (hint: 'war')

• dayday 9,611 Posts

1st. I think Jon would've wanted us both to have it
    Although now i have an idea, if i change my avatar to match one of the soulstrut elders/in-crowd, then people will (inadvertently) pay attention to my comments

• still, while i like Mandrill, War wins easily. Their music will outlive Mandrill and most other bands. A generous handfull of War songs are some time-capsule, send-off-into-space-to-alien-worlds-type material. Seriously, what Mandrill song holds that much weight?

what i have learned from this thread: trendy coffeeshop chains from the 1990s and trendy recordcollector magazines from the 2000s have a direct effect on the quality of music and records made in the 1970s

p.s. Day, that drawing is ILL

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts

we pretty much already had this discussion, but it's still fun...

War's got the clutches in the cultural psyche of music history, and I can appreciate why they are more significant than Mandrill.

That being said if I hear GIT IT ALL... I'm going to gravitate toward it any day over any War song just because it's so good and much more scarce to hear. And it gives me a more personal moment with that place and time that music was happening than say, any of the songs you're likely to hear by War.

I have to say that this scale might start to tip with Mandrill songs if people start chiming in, I think most musicians dig them, I know I do. I think this is kind of the case of the musicians musician, but War wins in significance, but they had eric burdons invovlement to help break them to consider.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    [ I don't see what could be *less* record collector about my (wide) stance.

I beleive this wide stance may be less collectro than yours. Or so I hope.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Is that what happened to that senator? Oh man that's the funniest scenario I ever heard, I hope thats not your son or daughters interpretation but its shocking what kids can hear on the news. they don't make television shows that good.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I hope thats not your son or daughters interpretation but its shocking what kids can hear on the news. they don't make television shows that good.

That was done by a poster here on the Board. He does very good work.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    for real though... beach boys got any breaks?

closest i can think is "Do It Again" with the repeato drum intro thing. its not syncopated though. but it sounds very cool to me.

• War made a record with Eric Burdon.

thats your un- know: ever.

"magic mountain" was thorough. i like "love is around"
    eric burdon is cool in my book

war> mandrill

osibisa is mostly terrible

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    I dont get the Eric Burdon hate....dude is a hell of a blue-eyed RnB singer. The Animals were unfukwitable..him, Van Morrison and Steve Mariott are easily the greatest white RnB singers from across the pond ever. Dudes saying "Eric Burdon played with War" like Eric is chump or something...get real....The Animals kicked ass...

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    The Animals kicked ass...

I thought your whole thing about weed and 45's was gold, but in comparison this is platinum

• SnappingSnapping 995 Posts
    so yall tryna say that child is father to the man, huh?

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I dont get the Eric Burdon hate....dude is a hell of a blue-eyed RnB singer. The Animals were unfukwitable..him, Van Morrison and Steve Mariott are easily the greatest white RnB singers from across the pond ever. Dudes saying "Eric Burdon played with War" like Eric is chump or something...get real....The Animals kicked ass...
    I gotta agree here, although Eric Burdon comes off as a douchebag these days in interviews/autobiography etc., that early Animals stuff was tough as hell & the fact that he brought light to War shouldn't be seen as a detriment at all.
    For me War beats Mandrill although I love them both. I own more War 45s, but more Mandrill LPs so it's sort of close

I love me some Eric Burdon!

I love me some War!

But Eric and War together??