War vs. Mandrill = Lakeside vs. Slave

brass construction vs. con funk shun

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    War vs. Mandrill = Xzibit vs. Jaz-O

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

Hmmmmmm....this is actually tough.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    this whole argument is just some east coast vs west coast bullschitt for real... the article IMPLICITLY states that not only were War influenced by mandrill (as were Funkadelic and EWF ) but Mandrill used to bust dat AZZ onstage. Made War change their whole style and slow the pace down cuz they knew that they couldn't f**k around with what mandrill was doing. Basically, Mandrill MADE War what they were. so yall tryna say that child is father to the man, huh?

i don't give a rodent's hindquarters about no damn hits... LOTS of cheesy azz watered down muthas out there had a lot of cotdamn hits. don't mean SCHITT when you start using the > sign. who were the more THOROUGH muthaeffers??? you don't know, do you? i thought not. READ THE ARTICLE. wax poetics is the BIBLE when it comes to this Mandrill vs War... uhhm... war.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

No

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    i don't give a rodent's hindquarters about no damn hits

Oh yeah, and I'm from the West Coast and I still think Mandrill destroys War.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Horns & Percussion

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

No

slave

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

No

slave

wrong

• Mandrill for me. But even better..the Mandrell sisters VS War?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    They might have won a few battles, but they lost the...

here in my four cornered room i thinnk a lot of yall just
    cuz back in the day when me & my baby brother used to spill the wine, war was our kinna all day music in my lowrider or down at the beach or a party in town
    making love or just riding around... see cisco kid was a friend of mine he made me feel like an outlaw baby made me see that world really was a ghetto but at the end of the day i have to ask "why can't we be friends" & remember don't let no one get you down it's just music that we like to play...

So?

(Ref. point: "So" was the B-side of "Low Rider"...)

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

cuz back in the day when me & my baby brother used to spill the wine, war was our kinna all day music in my lowrider or down at the beach or a party in town
    making love or just riding around... see cisco kid was a friend of mine he made me feel like an outlaw baby made me see that world really was a ghetto but at the end of the day i have to ask "why can't we be friends" & remember don't let no one get you down it's just music that we like to play...

So?

In high school I started a write in campaign to get "Why can't We Be Friends" as our prom theme.

Sadly Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply" won the award

• who's tatoo is that?

so yall tryna say that child is father to the man, huh?

considering they both released debut lp's the same year how ya figure, ohh wait cuz wax po says so... my bad

YES. YOU DIDN'T EVEN READ THE ARTICLE. STOP TALKING

• completely off topic but i have to say that the Eddie Cheeba article in the new waxpo is some of the worst writing i have ever read

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    "I know you're workin' for the C-I-AAAAAA
    They wouldn't have you in the MAF-I-AAAAAAA..."[/b]

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

Not at all.......War vs Mandrill isn't tough either....

Now Brass Construction Vs Con Funk Shun takes some serious thought

completely off topic but i have to say that the Eddie Cheeba article in the new waxpo is some of the worst writing i have ever read

but its good info. your hating is unappreciated in this thread

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    SoulStrut needs to set up a 2 hour podcast.
    One hour for War & one for Mandrill.
    Soulman can even read excerpts from the WaxPo article over Mandrill instrumentals.
    Then there shall be a poll.
    And it will be done.
    Make it so! (2 claps)

• no the writing is so bad that it nullifies any good info about eddie cheeba!

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts

So?

In high school I started a write in campaign to get "Why can't We Be Friends" as our prom theme.

Sadly Savage Garden's "Truly Madly Deeply" won the award

oof thats just AWFUL. our prom theme was "whats goin on" by marvin.

• SupergoodSupergood 1,213 Posts
    Lakeside vs. Slave

Not at all.......War vs Mandrill isn't tough either....

Now Brass Construction Vs Con Funk Shun takes some serious thought

While they both are great great bands, I think Con Funk Shun had better songs ("A Song For You" : classic!)

• completely off topic but i have to say that the Eddie Cheeba article in the new waxpo is some of the worst writing i have ever read

i did read the mandrill write up & agree w/ you about wax po's writing which has imo always been the case...

sometimes it's good...a few of my friends write for it so i can't really hate but sometimes an article is so bad that it makes me wonder if anything is ever edited at waxpo.

however apparently they had a pretty kickass cd release party yesterday in dumbo

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Who would kick who's ass in a street fight, though?

Fudgie Kae vs. Papa Dee?
    Omar Mesa vs. Lee Oskar?

The Wilson Bros. were kinda diesel. I think Mandrill would kick War's ass.

But seriously, on the topic of performaning live, my uncle Fito used to play percussion with Mandrill (he's on the later-era "Energize" album), and he did indeed tell me that they were live. Neftali Santiago was supposedly a beast on the drums.

btw, i've just been killing time until i leave the office. i don't care who's > between mandrill and war, i LOVE them both so much! War probably has more actual breaks... not sure about that, but War is one of the dopest EVER. i'm out, yall go ahead and keep debating. and i apologize to yiuchi for calling you a kobe suckler... i was j/k. any other insults in this thread were heartfelt, though. Bye!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Cymande vs. Osibisa

Just kidding...but I have always wondered why Osibisa gets so little love from strut-types.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    and i apologize to yiuchi for calling you a kobe suckler... i was j/k.

It's okay, but just remember, if I were job-less, I would've been after you!!....

• How's the article on Leroy Burgess?

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    How's the article on Leroy Burgess?

You could buy 70 copies with the rent money you save living in Dullsville.