FRIED CHICKEN

IronfeetIronfeet 516 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
okay I hear a lot of folks tell me the best fried chicken is that buttermilk stuff? What's yall's opinion on Fried Chicken what state has the best and what's the best way to fry it up, or 1/2 fry 1/2 bake? Any good strutter reciepies?

Comments

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    PAGING KENNY

• lex ing ton mar ket.

any heads in bmore want to meet up in mid sept to cruise down there with me give a shout.

• fast food in england is dominated by gawd-awful fried chicken. they tend to fry it up in the morning then let it sit out all day.

• snosno 332 Posts
    My favorite fried chicken, found in Taiwan:

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    My favorite fried chicken, found in Taiwan:

oh fuck! you just bought back memories of the nightmarket! I ate that same chicken, has a nice sweet taste to it huh!!! DAMN! LARGEST FRIED CHICKEN IN TAIWAN HANDS DOWN!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    I like how that says "LAVISH BIG BIG CHICKEN STEAK", mad lavish yo.

Strangely, popeyes in Toronto are a popular franchise option for folks from the Middle East. There are quite a few halal certified popeyes up here, they're much better than the regular ones.

I want to try making fried chicken in oil that has big ass onions in it. Will impart an excellent flavour into the chicken.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Jimmy's Chicken Shack / LaGrange, Georgia

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Bojangles BIITchesss!!!
    Famous chicken & biscuits!!!
    web page

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    the best is here in Memphis, hands down...either Gus's or Uncle Lou's. Uncle Lou's does the time-tested southern method of boiling the chicken in buttermilk first. Lets you fry it perfectly, just being concerned about the quality of the breading being fried since it is already been cooked in the buttermilk, which cooks it while leaving it juicy. Perfect method for pan frying chicken, which is really the best(and proper) way to fry chciken....

pan fry 4 life!

• bubor0ckbubor0ck 141 Posts
    I was dying to try some Korean fried after reading that feature in the nytimes last year. They finally just opened a Cheogajip in the asian supermarket near my house.

I really think the fry technique is tops. A bit lighter and crispier. However, I was really disappointed by the spice mixture in the batter. I think its similar to Five-spice, definitely tasted a bit of cinnamon. Ruined it for me, but I think I'm just predisposed to salty flavors.

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    Making fried chicken, you have to fry it. Fuck baking. That's not part of the game. Haha. Nah but my recipe goes a little something like this:

Brine whole fryer chicken, cut up (8 pieces), overnight. Brine liquid should be cold water, salt, and whatever else you want. I usually add some new mexico hatch chile powder and a little tapatio.

For the batter, I use buttermilk mixed with more of the chile spices, you could do a little frank's red hot for spice as well, black pepper, a pinch of salt, whatever flavors you want, really. Keep it simple though.

After your chicken is well brined, set up your dredging station. One dish with flour, one with the buttermilk mixture, and if you want an extra crispy coating, one with panko bread crumbs. Chicken-->flour-->buttermilk-->bread crumbs-->fryer and fry 'til golden brown and cooked through (depends on the size of your chicken, but it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes, I believe).

Delicious. Simple. Cook up some southern style green beans in bacon and some mashed potatoes and gravy and you're all set.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Best fried chicken I had recently was Pittypatty's Porch in downtown Atlanta. It was a touristy spot but the chicken, served with steamed veggies, mashed potatoes and greens, was transcendent. The mint julep wasn't half bad either.

Coming home to the pedestrian, yet sufficient, chicken at Harold's here in Chicago was a little disheartening.

• VitaminVitamin 631 Posts
    Making fried chicken, you have to fry it. Fuck baking. That's not part of the game. Haha. Nah but my recipe goes a little something like this:

Brine whole fryer chicken, cut up (8 pieces), overnight. Brine liquid should be cold water, salt, and whatever else you want. I usually add some new mexico hatch chile powder and a little tapatio.

For the batter, I use buttermilk mixed with more of the chile spices, you could do a little frank's red hot for spice as well, black pepper, a pinch of salt, whatever flavors you want, really. Keep it simple though.

After your chicken is well brined, set up your dredging station. One dish with flour, one with the buttermilk mixture, and if you want an extra crispy coating, one with panko bread crumbs. Chicken-->flour-->buttermilk-->bread crumbs-->fryer and fry 'til golden brown and cooked through (depends on the size of your chicken, but it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes, I believe).

Delicious. Simple. Cook up some southern style green beans in bacon and some mashed potatoes and gravy and you're all set.

that sounds really delicious. I am trying that out this weekend. Thanks

Best fried chicken I had recently was Pittypatty's Porch in downtown Atlanta. It was a touristy spot but the chicken, served with steamed veggies, mashed potatoes and greens, was transcendent. The mint julep wasn't half bad either.

Coming home to the pedestrian, yet sufficient, chicken at Harold's here in Chicago was a little disheartening.

I was massively dissapointed at this spot....their Key Lime Pie tasted like some store bought Jello crap.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Bojangles BIITchesss!!!
    Famous chicken & biscuits!!!
    web page

I'll ride for Bojangles. I need to get to Memphis and try some of those, and one of the best fried chicken platters I've had was actually in Wales. Really tasty fried chicken, served with some horrible split pea bullshit on the side which I didn't touch.

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts

I was massively dissapointed at this spot....their Key Lime Pie tasted like some store bought Jello crap.

Really? I thought the food was pretty good, but I skipped dessert. What was your entre?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    In Chicago, the last word for bird is Harold's Fried Chicken and don't argue. Dunno if it's made from buttermilk or any of that mentioned above, but it hits the spot.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    I haven't found any fried chicken out here in the Bay, but fortunately, my homie E Da Boss's fried chicken game is super nice. In fact, I've kind of been spoiled by it--everything else is second best.

I will definitely ride for Mountain Fried Chicken in Winston-Salem, though. I routinely made the drive from Greensboro to get that stuff.

Really? I thought the food was pretty good, but I skipped dessert. What was your entre?

Crab Cakes...they were good but not great....salad was good...dessert sucked...and I rarely eat dessert so I was hoping for

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    I haven't found any fried chicken out here in the Bay

Yeah, dammit, where's the good fried chicken in the Bay Area?

On the Hookup's recommendation, I tried Gus' in Memphis and I can definitely cosine that.

• izm707izm707 1,107 Posts
    I tried the first one, it was the most horrible experience with fried chicken ever...read the ingredients, you'll see why. But the second recipe i'm posting is FIYAH!!! Wifey does it that way and it's delishussssss!! (You can even remove the MSG and replace it with baking sode. That's what i do since i hate MSG).

Popeye's Fried Chicken
    3 cups Self-rising flour
    1 cup Cornstarch
    3 tbl. Seasoned salt
    2 tbl. Paprika
    1 teas. Baking soda
    1 pk. Italian Salad Dressing Mix Powder
    1 pk. Onion Soup Mix (1 1/2 Ounces)
    1 pk. Spaghetti sauce mix (1/2 Ounce)
    3 tbl. Sugar
    3 cups Corn flakes crushed
    2 Eggs well beaten
    1/4 cup Cold water
    4 lb. Chicken cut up
    Combine first 9 ingredients in large bowl. Put the cornflakes into
    another bowl. Put eggs and water in a 3rd bowl. Put enough corn oil
    into a heavy roomy skillet to fill it 1" deep. Get it HOT! Grease a
    9x12x2 baking pan. Set it aside. Preheat oven to 350~. Dip chicken
    pieces 1 piece at a time as follows-Into dry coating mix-Into
    egg and water mix-Into corn flakes. Briskly but briefly back
    into dry mix. Drop into hot oil, skin-down and brown 3 to 4
    minutes on medium high. Turn and brown other side of each piece.
    Don't crowd pieces during frying. Place in prepared pan in single
    layer, skin-side-up. Seal in foil, on 3 sides only, leaving 1 side
    loose for steam to escape. Bake at 350~ for 35/40 minutes removing
    foil then to test tenderness of chicken. Allow to bake uncovered 5
    minutes longer to crisp the coating. Serves 4. Leftovers refrigerate
    well up to 4 days. Do not freeze these leftovers. Leftover coating
    mix (1st 9 ingredients) can be stored at room temp in covered
    container up to 2 months.
    -------------

KFC Original Fried Chicken[/b]
    2/3 pounds cut-up chicken pieces
    1 Quart Water
    3 tablespoons Salt (for soaking)
    1 cup milk
    1 egg, beaten
    2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon Accent (MSG)
    1 tablespoon salt
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    Soybean Oil (no substitutions) for frying
    Allow chicken to soak in salted water for a half hour.
    Mix egg and milk in a bowl. Mix flour, Accent, salt, and pepper
    in another bowl. Preheat deep fryer to 350F, or place 3/4 inch
    oil in a skillet set on medium.
    Dry chicken with paper towels. Dredge in flour mixture, place in
    milk/eggs, and then back to flour mixture. Do this one piece at
    a time making sure that there is total coverage over entire
    surface of chicken in each step.
    KFC uses pressure cookers to fry chicken, which is risky to do
    at home. If you are using a deep fryer, fry a few pieces at a
    time for about 20 minutes, covered, turning occasionally.
    Likewise, if pan frying, cook, covered, turning occasionally
    for about 30 minutes. As always with chicken, check the middle
    of a large piece to check for doneness.
    Allow to drain on paper towels when cooking is completed.

• spelunkspelunk 3,400 Posts
    I haven't found any fried chicken out here in the Bay, but fortunately, my homie E Da Boss's fried chicken game is super nice. In fact, I've kind of been spoiled by it--everything else is second best.

I will definitely ride for Mountain Fried Chicken in Winston-Salem, though. I routinely made the drive from Greensboro to get that stuff.

People keep telling me that Vallejo has the fried chicken game on lock, but I never get out there. It's okay though cause we have Flint's, Nate's, and a bunch of other killer bbq spots.

• fried chicken is one of the few things in life that is better when tepid.

• as for bay area fried chicken, my memory is getting spottier by the day.

however, i did really like the korean hot and sweet wings at woori market on fillmore and geary. right next to that jazz club. some folks are mentioning the new wave of korean fried chicken so that's my contribution. woori market doesnt have the same complicated frying techniques as these new fangled korean fried chicken joints, but it is good nonetheless. i have tried kyochon korean style fried chicken in ktown and it is really really good when hot. but not that good when tepid. and their fry, butter, re-fry technique takes about 30 minutes for you to get your chicken.

I KNOW YOUR CHICKEN
    YOU GOT TO KNOW YOUR CHICKEN

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Man, i gotta go to America sometime and try them fried chicken.

that REAL schitt.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

If you marinate your pieces in a Buttermilk mix, u dont need to brine.

Add some spice to the flour. NO BREAD CRUMBS. U can even double dip the pieces from the buttermilk to the flour to the BM back to tha flour.

Peanut Oil,Safflower Oil, or Canola Oil prefferrred.

Oh yeah...marinate that shit overnight so the Buttermilk can flavor and tenderize the bird.

Homeade Fried Bird > Restaurant Bird

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    irene's country cooking
    in the hill city farmers market
    (4 blocks east of bus29 on main street)
    is that place
    fresh made, 2 sides, cornbread & sweet tea for $6
    m-sat 11-2
    (& the popular sides will run out after 1)

in nova, edy's peruvian style (which is some greaat roasted bird)
    use to own a fried chicken place in baileys crossroads, next to the trader joes
    alas
    it closed down in advance of the big central american fried chicken chain that opened nearby
    (camperos polo or something ?, a bit greasy for me)

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    no, no fried chicken in germany.