FRIED CHICKEN

2»

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    aint no fried chicken betta than mama fried chicken

• Options
    aint no fried chicken betta than mama fried chicken

And thank god for Grandma for teaching her.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts

kfc = karachi fried chicken ?

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts

Damn, this was my place as a kid. I hear they only have them in the L.A. area. Are they still around, and more importantly, do they still offer the same great chicken AND beans? I need to head down there if they do.

• i dig popeyes. also try pollo campero for something different. peace, stein. . .

• i dig popeyes. also try pollo campero for something different. peace, stein. . .

There's a Popeye's in Portland (I think it's still there), I'll have to go there whenever I can make it back down.

• i havent had pioneer chicken since like 2nd grade. i see them all the time tho.

jollibee's chicken joy fried chicken is actually not bad. well...its the best thing on the menu that's not sweet.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts

Damn, this was my place as a kid. I hear they only have them in the L.A. area. Are they still around

Only two left as far as i know ...Boyle heights and Huntington Park

Fried Gizzards =

• i havent had pioneer chicken since like 2nd grade. i see them all the time tho.

jollibee's chicken joy fried chicken is actually not bad. well...its the best thing on the menu that's not sweet.

I want to try that place too, sweet spaghetti or not.

• I haven't found any fried chicken out here in the Bay, but fortunately, my homie E Da Boss's fried chicken game is super nice. In fact, I've kind of been spoiled by it--everything else is second best.

I will definitely ride for Mountain Fried Chicken in Winston-Salem, though. I routinely made the drive from Greensboro to get that stuff.

People keep telling me that Vallejo has the fried chicken game on lock, but I never get out there. It's okay though cause we have Flint's, Nate's, and a bunch of other killer bbq spots.

flint's and nate's does fried chicken?

powell's RIP

i love the east bay more for its fried fish than its fried chicken.

• Damn, this was my place as a kid. I hear they only have them in the L.A. area. Are they still around, and more importantly, do they still offer the same great chicken AND beans? I need to head down there if they do.

on kapiolani?

• Lucky Wishbone here in TUC, but my great aunts was the shit as a kid I acctually made the mistake of telling my Grandmother that, Doh!

• Making fried chicken, you have to fry it. Fuck baking. That's not part of the game. Haha. Nah but my recipe goes a little something like this:

Brine whole fryer chicken, cut up (8 pieces), overnight. Brine liquid should be cold water, salt, and whatever else you want. I usually add some new mexico hatch chile powder and a little tapatio.

For the batter, I use buttermilk mixed with more of the chile spices, you could do a little frank's red hot for spice as well, black pepper, a pinch of salt, whatever flavors you want, really. Keep it simple though.

After your chicken is well brined, set up your dredging station. One dish with flour, one with the buttermilk mixture, and if you want an extra crispy coating, one with panko bread crumbs. Chicken-->flour-->buttermilk-->bread crumbs-->fryer and fry 'til golden brown and cooked through (depends on the size of your chicken, but it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes, I believe).

If you marinate your pieces in a Buttermilk mix, u dont need to brine.

Add some spice to the flour. NO BREAD CRUMBS. U can even double dip the pieces from the buttermilk to the flour to the BM back to tha flour.

Peanut Oil,Safflower Oil, or Canola Oil prefferrred.

Oh yeah...marinate that shit overnight so the Buttermilk can flavor and tenderize the bird.

Homeade Fried Bird > Restaurant Bird

All true. Brining, however, does help further tenderize the flesh and help to keep the bird moist when you cook it. Buttermilk doesn't quite do the same thing, does it? You can do both, really. Brine it, then soak it in BM. The double dip is nice too, but don't underestimate the panko. I know it doesn't sound right and it's not part of the traditional fried chicken game, but panko coating on your chicken makes it extra crispy, which is very tasty to me. Regular bread crumbs would not work the same. Also, you can spice the flour, but I've found it to be unnecessary.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Making fried chicken, you have to fry it. Fuck baking. That's not part of the game. Haha. Nah but my recipe goes a little something like this:

Brine whole fryer chicken, cut up (8 pieces), overnight. Brine liquid should be cold water, salt, and whatever else you want. I usually add some new mexico hatch chile powder and a little tapatio.

For the batter, I use buttermilk mixed with more of the chile spices, you could do a little frank's red hot for spice as well, black pepper, a pinch of salt, whatever flavors you want, really. Keep it simple though.

After your chicken is well brined, set up your dredging station. One dish with flour, one with the buttermilk mixture, and if you want an extra crispy coating, one with panko bread crumbs. Chicken-->flour-->buttermilk-->bread crumbs-->fryer and fry 'til golden brown and cooked through (depends on the size of your chicken, but it should be somewhere between 10 and 20 minutes, I believe).

If you marinate your pieces in a Buttermilk mix, u dont need to brine.

Add some spice to the flour. NO BREAD CRUMBS. U can even double dip the pieces from the buttermilk to the flour to the BM back to tha flour.

Peanut Oil,Safflower Oil, or Canola Oil prefferrred.

Oh yeah...marinate that shit overnight so the Buttermilk can flavor and tenderize the bird.

Homeade Fried Bird > Restaurant Bird

All true. Brining, however, does help further tenderize the flesh and help to keep the bird moist when you cook it. Buttermilk doesn't quite do the same thing, does it? You can do both, really. Brine it, then soak it in BM. The double dip is nice too, but don't underestimate the panko. I know it doesn't sound right and it's not part of the traditional fried chicken game, but panko coating on your chicken makes it extra crispy, which is very tasty to me. Regular bread crumbs would not work the same. Also, you can spice the flour, but I've found it to be unnecessary.

I beleive in brining. I just dont believe in brining ands then marinating. Either or.
    It shouldnt take 48 hours to fry a bird. I cant see myself Brining overnight, patting the surface dry, and then dropping the parts in a marinade for another 24 hrs/overnight.

Brining helps moisture stay. The acid in the Buttermilk breaksdown the proteins.

Brine in Buttermilk.....