PIZZA

youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
edited June 2005 in Off Topic (NRR)
who has the best?

Comments

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    martinos in kings park, long island...

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    never been there but i will agree for some reason pizza on the east coast is waaaaaay better. stein.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    never been there but i will agree for some reason pizza on the east coast is waaaaaay better. stein.

word, im not from there, i have family there and i ALWAYS hit up that place when i visit, NY pizza holds the game down.

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Super Supreme Pizza from Pizza Planet in Cam!! Medium, with medium fries... thats two sittings of pizza and fries for one person..

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    who has the best?

Around here there are 2 bests - (1) actually tastes good
    (2) mass quantity of pizza for the price

• BlackmarksBlackmarks 155 Posts
    who has the best?

Mineo's on murray ave
    in pittsburgh.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    who has the best?

Any good pizzeria in Naples (birthplace of the pizza) - and either the Margherita or Napoletana: nothing ornate, neither laden w/ cheese, but just the full flavors of the tomato paste and basil breathing and enveloping the thin crust... It's the[/b] consummate pizza experience...

And then jump on the train to Rome to cop some gelato @ Giolitti's! The watermelon gelato w/ chocolate seeds!

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    Super Supreme Pizza from Pizza Planet in Cam!! Medium, with medium fries... thats two sittings of pizza and fries for one person..

pizza and fries? thats some crazy shit.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Pizza is really better in NYC than anywhere I've been, short of Italy.

the best:

Difara's

the rest:

L&B (for the whole pie)
    Joe's (I need to do one more taste check, but since they moved it hasn't been the same)
    Rosario's (for late-night fix)

There's one out in Coney that I've been meaning to try, I think The Gooch knows it? Heard real good things about it.

In the Bay Area dudes like Zacharys. That shit is NOT PIZZA! It's good, but it's not. pizza.

I fuck with Arinells in the Bay pretty much exclusively.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I'm always weary of "best" posts. In NYC there are various spots in all the boroughs to cop good pizza. It all depends on one's preference. "Best" is relative. Ive had my favorite pizza on Fordham Road, up here in the Bronx. I've had delicious pizza in Manhattan and in Brooklyn.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm always weary of "best" posts. In NYC there are various spots in all the boroughs to cop good pizza. It all depends on one's preference. "Best" is relative. Ive had my favorite pizza on Fordham Road, up here in the Bronx. I've had delicious pizza in Manhattan and in Brooklyn.

Word there are some good slices uptown. I forget all the names, but I had spots on Amsterdam above 133rd, that was real good, and also on Kingsbridge Rd about a block off University.

• Options
    Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, be patient with the lines though. They just opened a branch on Long Island too, right near where I work but I haven't been there yet.

Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, be patient with the lines though. They just opened a branch on Long Island too, right near where I work but I haven't been there yet.

I prefer not to wait on line when it comes to pizza. I defeats the purpose. I like a little grime to my slice. I'll do chi-chi style pizza in Manhattan, but on a hot summer night,drunk and shit, I'm not messin' w/ a line/lines. Two Boots has a nice crust.

Favorite toppings:

Fresh Garlic
    Black Olives
    Sun-Dried Tomatoes
    Anchovies
    Mushrooms(got that Zinc)
    Fresh Basil

• Options
    I prefer not to wait on line when it comes to pizza. I defeats the purpose. I like a little grime to my slice. I'll do chi-chi style pizza in Manhattan, but on a hot summer night,drunk and shit, I'm not messin' w/ a line/lines. Two Boots has a nice crust.

Favorite toppings:

Fresh Garlic
    Black Olives
    Sun-Dried Tomatoes
    Anchovies
    Mushrooms(got that Zinc)
    Fresh Basil

Well, I looked at it as the same thing as waiting for a table in a restaurant. No way would I hit up a pizza place on the regular where I had to wait 20 minutes or a half hour, but Grimaldis is worth the trip. The setting is dope too, right at the Brooklyn Bridge.

Two Boots does nice things with goat cheese.

On Long Island, the best spot to hit up (though I don;t know about that place in Kings Park that someone mentioned) is Umberto's in New Hyde Park, right near the Queens border on Jericho Tpke (Rte. 25). Unfukwittable.

• Contest over! New Haven, Connecticut Pizza is hands down, bar none, the best pizza ever created on gods green earth.

New Haven: the birthplace of American pizza

In the early years of the 20th century (the Pizza Legend goes) Frank Pepe immigrated to New Haven, where he created the first American pizza by putting tomatoes on top of old bake-shop bread. His creation was so successful that in 1925 Pepe opened his first pizzeria on Wooster Street. By 1938, business was booming, the whole family was involved, and Pepe's nephew Sal Consiglio split off and opened his own pizzeria, Sally's.

brick oven 4ife

• alieNDNalieNDN 2,181 Posts
    any torontonians in this here? i know there's a lot...anyone around the parts of missisauga? cause i've heard there's indian pizza joints where the put an indian twist on it, like put strips of tandoori chicken on it and stuff, id love to try this. oh and if you know what "naan" is, i once had a naan pizza, it was like listening to stevie wonder for the first time with my taste buds.

any torontonians in this here? i know there's a lot...anyone around the parts of missisauga? cause i've heard there's indian pizza joints where the put an indian twist on it, like put strips of tandoori chicken on it and stuff, id love to try this. oh and if you know what "naan" is, i once had a naan pizza, it was like listening to stevie wonder for the first time with my taste buds.
    You got that in Toronto? Sounds delicious.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    who has the best?

Mineo's on murray ave
    in pittsburgh.
    WORD TO THAT!

i'd also like to add Mack and Mancos that are located in the Ocean City New Jersey are. their Pizza is FIRE!

I always want to make Collard green Pizza. It's not that far from spinach.
    I'd have to make/buy some collards put it on a good slice. I wish someone in NYC would try that shit w/ hot sauce on it.

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

dude...american food in the UK sucks dog balls.

Indian food on the other hand...mmmmm

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

There's one out in Coney that I've been meaning to try, I think The Gooch knows it? Heard real good things about it.

I think you're referring to totonno's.......and yes it's worth the trek out there. Read this for more info.

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I like Harpo's Pizza. There's a place in Seattle that I've read some good reviews about, I'll have to try a slice when I get up there again.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts

Don't know any joints out in mississauga... but I'd love to know where you had that naan pizza!!! Naan is the shit. Just the other night I was eating some chana masala, naan, and chicken tikka from a dope little indian spot at Carlton and Sherbourne, called New Diamond Restaurant. Cabbies love it, partially because it's open 'til like 5 am or something. Atmosphere is shite... so take out is recommended.

I gotta admit I don't get a lot of pizza anymore.. so I don't have any dope spots.

The Big Slice on Yonge is a dirty dirty drunk fix. Can become an aquired taste when sober...

I've had Mama's Pizza, on College in little italy... that shit is good. Only a slice though... not a whole pie.

That's about it. Pizza Pizza is shite, but EVERYWHERE. I swear it's like the pizza version of Tim Hortins here in Canada.

I live almost right above a Dominos, and I don't like their pizza, except lately I've been turned on to their thin crust... it's decent. I do just olives and some oregano and basil... it's not amazing, but it's literaly 10 steps from my door.

• PEKPEK 735 Posts
    Toronto -

Terroni's:
    1 Balmoral Avenue
    106 Victoria Street
    720 Queen Street West

Best thin crust I've had in the city...

Gerrard Pizza on Danforth comes in 2nd - usually get the Margherita when gettin' 'za - somewhat of a tainted version given the inclusion of cheese (see above)...

Had pizza in India - soggy, bland, really unpalatable - nor a good look - although it was/is pretty popular for those people of the Subcontinent lookin' for Western fare, especially in Bangalore...

• In Chicago these are my top 10 in no specific order

Delisis on Western
    Lou Malnatis on Lincoln
    Jb's on Morse
    Gullivers on Howard
    Pete's on Western used to have some of the best pizza for a corner spot in the city until Suparossa bought it a few yrs back. Anyone else know what I'm talking about?
    Bacino's on Lincoln
    Freddy's on 61st
    Carmens on Sheridan
    Pat's on Sheffield
    Pequod's on Clybourn

• Contest over! New Haven, Connecticut Pizza is hands down, bar none, the best pizza ever created on gods green earth.

New Haven: the birthplace of American pizza

In the early years of the 20th century (the Pizza Legend goes) Frank Pepe immigrated to New Haven, where he created the first American pizza by putting tomatoes on top of old bake-shop bread. His creation was so successful that in 1925 Pepe opened his first pizzeria on Wooster Street. By 1938, business was booming, the whole family was involved, and Pepe's nephew Sal Consiglio split off and opened his own pizzeria, Sally's.

brick oven 4ife

Major cosign. The wife and I have made the drive to New Haven a couple of times just for the pizza (and made a couple of lengthy detours other times. Truly unfuckwithable.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    although it aint any east coast or chicago steez, Memphis has some pretty original pie. Never had pizza like this anywhere else...hard to describe, it has a thick, pastry-like crust...julianed pepporchinis covering the top, good stuff...the two places for it are Coletta's and fox ridge pizza..if you are ever in Memphis and need a break from the greatest BBQ(yes better than Texas) and Fried Chicken in the world(Gus's, Unlce Lou's holla!) give it a try, you'll lke it!!

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    vic's....bradley beach, NJ..old school italian style on da shore..thin crust...nuff said