Atlanta NAACP: After sentence let Vick back in NFL

Comments

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    1. Big Boi does NOT condone fighting, his website is pretty explicit about that.
    2. I think cows are cute and I do not eat them and I hate hunting.
    3. I know a Soulstrutter who has eaten dog!

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    1. Big Boi does NOT condone fighting, his website is pretty explicit about that.

oh shit well case closed! because obviously if he did, his site would say "yes we support dog fighting!" right?

• 1. Big Boi does NOT condone fighting, his website is pretty explicit about that.
    2. I think cows are cute and I do not eat them and I hate hunting.
    3. I know a Soulstrutter who has eaten dog!

I already admitted that in the other vick thread!

I think cows are cute AND delicious.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    So does the NFL have something in thier contracts that prohibits people who have been convicted of a felony (and I assume that this is a flony) from continuing to play football?

I would imagine that this conviction constitutes some sort of breach of an
    ethics in his contract. If so, it seems like he is SOL.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    i doubt it, because if that were the case there wouldn't be all these discussions about if he'll come back to the NFL or not.

• regardless of whether you think dogs are equals to humans, or dogs are no better than deer/etc, I fail to see how you couldn't see the difference between killing an animal for food, and making animals tear each other to pieces for entertainment, to say nothing of the torturing/killing them for underperforming part.

it's like saying burning a church down and lighting a candle are the same thing because both result in fire.

so if michael vick ate the dogs he killed would that exonerate him?

Well i don't think there's a dog hunting season anywhere, and dogs are domesticated animals, but it would certainly be a different story.

Last time I checked people don't hunt deer by electrocuting them and picking them up and slamming them down on concrete.

I've lost track of the number of times I've almost hit a deer on the road, and I was a passenger in my friend's truck when a deer ran into his side mirror. I've seen deer in the middle of parking lots here in Duluth. My mother totalled our car when she hit a deer.

They upset the food chain. A hunting season is necessary.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    i doubt it, because if that were the case there wouldn't be all these discussions about if he'll come back to the NFL or not.

NFL Player's Union =

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I am reading a biography of Teddy Roosevelt. One day when he was about 18 years old, he was riding his horse, pissed off (I think it might have been some trouble with the ladies), and, for no particular reason, he shot his neighbor's dog and continued his ride.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    So does the NFL have something in thier contracts that prohibits people who have been convicted of a felony (and I assume that this is a flony) from continuing to play football?

I would imagine that this conviction constitutes some sort of breach of an
    ethics in his contract. If so, it seems like he is SOL.

NFL Player's Union =

Um, actually, yes there is ... there are all kinds of
    "moral standards" in the NFL rules. The debate isn't about
    whether the NFL can STOP him from returning, but whether they
    will ALLLOW him to return. The Commisioner ordered Vick to stay
    away from Falcons training camp completely, when the indictment
    was served, and he hadn't even been convicted yet, just charged.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    I dont get the big boi reference. can somebody plaese splain?

He has a rather successful sideline, breeding Pit Bulls

http://pitfallkennels.com/

That website is tasteless.

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    White said he does not support dogfighting and that he considers it as bad as hunting.

"His crime is, it was a dog," White said

This isn't the first time I heard this reported as 'just a dog'. This dude was like the Al Capone of dogfights and they took him down, and now even the Atlanta NAACP are jumping on board with everyone else trying to say it's a cultural thing?, that it's just A dog? It's A thousands of dogs and A millions of $. How you can singularize this incidence is transparent propaganda! The Sports Illustrated article was really good compared to everything else I seen in the media. That interview with Clinton Portis was pretty revealing too, when Samuels started cracking up at his ass when he talked himself into a wall.

I don't think I've ever seen a jury nullifying case marketed like this in my lifetime. This time, the American football watching public is the jury getting nullified to ensure Vick can make his investors some bank later on. People gotta know no matter what hemisphere your on theres a neighborhood with a dogfight, or a cockfight, or a fucking kumitae or some shit and only the most surface aspects of them are exclusive to a certain culture or persuasion such as the South. Shit is sociology not geography. This shit isn't a misunderstanding. Vick had the love of the public. He's got that public money, he's on borrowed time, he's a box of Wheaties who can live like a legend and get fat and die old. If he's going to wave his dick around by being the mastermind of an underground dogfighting network to the posh degree he took it, even if in homage to whatever culture he's from, it's going to catch up with him BAD. It ain't 1 fucking fight. If your in the public spotlight you gotta watch your ass. Especially if your in a generic public market like pro sports.

I can't believe this statement from such a hallowed organization....the dude had like rape chambers in his house and the blood from a hundred dogs on his rug and all these fucking suits are trying to pawn him off like he's the annoying kid from fresh.

It was just A dog!

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    The Braves had the presence of mind to let Rocker go (lord only knows how he was able to pick up another job). Hopefully the Falcons will release Vick and start looking for another quarterback (read: not much faith in Harrington). If the NAACP is so worried about Vick's career (like he'd ever need to hold a job again), they can hire him as a spokesperson. I would wholly support Vick in that kind of a career move. He brought it on himself and then lied to everyone who would listen. I've heard so many excuses about why he was forced to take the plea bargain except one....because he was guilty. How unjust is the system, really?

• Doesn't the NAACP have better things to worry about than this?

• kumitaes are awesome!

there was this homie of mines and we used to call him chong li after bolo on bloodsport and the best part is we'd chant "chong li chong li chong li!" and then the dude would go "GAAAAH!" just like bolo did! anyways this one time i was riding in the back of the truck throwing off chain links and 4x6s and lil bits of rebar n shit into the road and all the sudden chong li gets all pissed off that im doing this and starts kicking my ass so i did the only thing i could do. i pushed him out the truck at prolly about 25 mph. luckily we were on a dirt road. he only got mildly fucked up.

• My money is on the fact that he's played his last down; mostly because after missing at least one season and probably 2, he will not only be a PR nightmare; he may well be a Physical nighmare. This is a player whose career, to this point, has been closer to a dissapointment than a success. This ain't exactly rolling the dice on a Peyton Manning type, if you know what I mean...

The other thing here is that while the Player's Union is not so hard ( they've got bigger problems right now than Vick; ie., retired players who are publicly becoming vegetables) Roger Goodell IS HARD AS FUCK. Lotta folks around our office saying he should slow his roll and take more of a 'Walk Softly,' tact on this discipline stuff. Well, that ain't happening, and I don't think this is the case that is going to get him to relax more, especially after this shit has been splashed across CNN.com.

Based on that, I was speculating that after Vick has served his time, if some team showed interest, an off-the-record-phone call may have been placed STRONGLY encouraging them not to sign him.

To this, one of my coworkers said, 'Hell, that phone call might be public, knowing this guy.'

I'm not saying he is or isn't coming back. But, I'm not holding my breath, for a lot more reasons than he will have 'served his debt.'

• deLYSdeLYS 388 Posts
    Bolo and Abobo are the best names for huge motherfuckers, hahaha.
    Do they even spell that word out in the movie?
    How do we even know how to spell kumitae? That's how you know this blood for sport thing is second nature. Spelling of the subconscious.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    I dont get the big boi reference. can somebody plaese splain?

He has a rather successful sideline, breeding Pit Bulls

http://pitfallkennels.com/

Yo, they sold dogs to Serena Williams, Usher, Roy Jones Jr, AND Maurice White!

That rolodex is

• black people dont care about animals.
    I know you're being sarcastic, but what's going unmentioned by most is that different cultures do view pets differently, even here in America.

I was talking with some Black students of mine about my dog, Zoe, and how her snoring woke me up and one kid was like, "You let your dog in the bed?" and I was like "Yeah, sometimes" and the other kid turned to him and said "White people are different with their dogs". Cracked me up! But he has a point, it's not really a white or black thing, but different people views pets differently. I would never consider any pet "an outside dog" but lots of people do, or chain em to a fence or let them live in the garage or whatever.

What does Common say about white people and their dogs and yoga?

my pits name is zoe.

This is more than vick just being some guy who fought a couple dogs, he ran an organized pit fighting ring, where alot of money is generated. gambling. is pete rose back in baseball, hall of fame ?
    on the real...sports on a whole are fucked imo, dudes get all this money to do what again ? oh.. throw balls around, fuck women, and show off tacky cars and cribs on mtv. all that money aint none of em can buy any class.....so what im a prick.
    he got caught, let him rot.

• karlophonekarlophone 1,697 Posts
    kumitaes are awesome!

there was this homie of mines and we used to call him chong li after bolo on bloodsport and the best part is we'd chant "chong li chong li chong li!" and then the dude would go "GAAAAH!" just like bolo did! anyways this one time i was riding in the back of the truck throwing off chain links and 4x6s and lil bits of rebar n shit into the road and all the sudden chong li gets all pissed off that im doing this and starts kicking my ass so i did the only thing i could do. i pushed him out the truck at prolly about 25 mph. luckily we were on a dirt road. he only got mildly fucked up.

you seemed much more mild mannered behind the counter at the shop. now i see there be baseball bats back there!

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I didn't read the article, but I feel that after he has SERVED HIS TIME and payed his debt to society he should be allowed to return.

He should beef them legs up as much as possible in the pen and come back as a tailback.

Also, it disgusts the fuck out of me that so many people who would in a heartbeat vote for perjurous, murderous Bill Clinton again, if they only could, put so much energy into wanting to condemn measly Michael Vick beyond his jail sentence.

I love dogs and I've had a pitbull before, but get your friggin priorities straight already, you so-called righteously indignant twats.

Oh yeah, good morning...happy Thursday.

• I didn't read the article, but I feel that after he has SERVED HIS TIME and payed his debt to society he should be allowed to return.

He should beef them legs up as much as possible in the pen and come back as a tailback.

Also, it disgusts the fuck out of me that so many people who would in a heartbeat vote for perjurous, murderous Bill Clinton again, if they only could, put so much energy into wanting to condemn measly Michael Vick beyond his jail sentence.

I love dogs and I've had a pitbull before, but get your friggin priorities straight already, you so-called righteously indignant twats.

Oh yeah, good morning...happy Thursday.

That's good Harvey right there.

• How many people do y'all know that load up their $1000 guns and get in their $50000 Ford Super F-1050 w/ a grill guard that could demolish a shanty town...how many of those people really need to go out to the deer lease this weekend so they can feed their families?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I didn't read the article, but I feel that after he has SERVED HIS TIME and payed his debt to society he should be allowed to return.

This should be a no-brainer...as if any professional organization is made up of 100% solid citizens anyway. Pay your due to society and don't get involved in the shit again, you should be free to play if you are in playing shape and a team wants him.

But to compare dog fighting to HUNTING? That dude needs to do a tiny bit of research. Hell if Vick had plead guilty to cockfighting, there would not be this bad of an uproar, but even that is a seriously bad look and they are roosters! Dogs are people's pets, part of their families. 99% of the country is openly disgusted by dog fighting, as opposed to a small percent who are disgusted by hunting for sport. I think it is certain that Vick is getting extra villification in the media for being a self-assured, wealthy Black athlete who is offering no visible signs of concilliation or apology, but I think it's safe to say that any famous name associated with an activity like organized dog fighting would have been dragged thru the muck. I just think that if it had been Brett Farvre or someone like that, there probably would have been a more concerted effort amongst his 'people' to soften the perception, guilty or innocent. I don't get the feeling that there is a very effective PR campaign working in Vick's favor. Imagine if Barry Bonds had been indicted on such a charge....there would probably be a special session of Congress called to discuss the Death Penalty for dog fighting!

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I don't get the feeling that there is a very effective PR campaign working in Vick's favor.

Now that is a little bit mystifying--it's as if he and his people still fail to appreciate the widespread repugnance towards dogfighting.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I don't get the feeling that there is a very effective PR campaign working in Vick's favor.

Now that is a little bit mystifying--it's as if he and his people still fail to appreciate the widespread repugnance towards dogfighting.

I think it's a big part of it. You get the distinct impression of indignance, as though he is being singled out but has done nothing wrong! Obviously he is being singled out (this is a dream case for folks who have been trying to route this shit out of the shadows for years), but obviously he has also done something terribly wrong.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Anyone else see Jim Brown on ESPN today? I was really surprised by his take. He essentially said that now the Mike has pleaded out, he can start getting himself together, learning from his mistake. Not what I expected.

• He essentially said that now the Mike has pleaded out, he can start getting himself together, learning from his mistake.

Bravo, Jim Brown.

Should we stone the man? (this isn't directed at you, Doc) He made some poor choices but he is not a lost cause. He needs support at this time, not complete condemnation.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    it disgusts the fuck out of me that so many people who would in a heartbeat vote for perjurous, murderous Bill Clinton again, if they only could, put so much energy into wanting to condemn measly Michael Vick beyond his jail sentence.

usually when I hear about the Michael Vick case the first thing to pop in my head is Bill clintons murderous past.

below are the cliff notes on Harvey psychology:

Bill Clinton = murderous

Michael Vick = measly

• How many people do y'all know that load up their $1000 guns and get in their $50000 Ford Super F-1050 w/ a grill guard that could demolish a shanty town...how many of those people really need to go out to the deer lease this weekend so they can feed their families?

While I generally despise these types of hunters, again I'll remind you that deer populations are out of control.

While I generally despise these types of hunters, again I'll remind you that deer populations are out of control.

Same down here. And backstrap jerky is some of the best shit you could hope to eat.

Surely you saw at least part of my point, though.