Atlanta NAACP: After sentence let Vick back in NFL

Comments

• How many people do y'all know that load up their $1000 guns and get in their $50000 Ford Super F-1050 w/ a grill guard that could demolish a shanty town...how many of those people really need to go out to the deer lease this weekend so they can feed their families?

While I generally despise these types of hunters, again I'll remind you that deer populations are out of control.

Same down here. And backstrap jerky is some of the best shit you could hope to eat.

Surely you saw at least part of my point, though.

Take away the purpose of deer hunting and it's on the same level as dog fighting?

• How many people do y'all know that load up their $1000 guns and get in their $50000 Ford Super F-1050 w/ a grill guard that could demolish a shanty town...how many of those people really need to go out to the deer lease this weekend so they can feed their families?

While I generally despise these types of hunters, again I'll remind you that deer populations are out of control.

Same down here. And backstrap jerky is some of the best shit you could hope to eat.

Surely you saw at least part of my point, though.

Take away the purpose of deer hunting and it's on the same level as dog fighting?

Not at all. My point was strictly about hunting. At least down here, cats tend to overdo it. Many of whom, don't need to spend the weekend hunting to feed their family.

Nevermind.

• I figured that's what you were talking about and I agree.

• How do these activities rank on the cruelty to animals scale?

Dogfighting
    Hunting for mere sport
    Rodeos/Bull Riding
    Horse Racing
    Dog Racing

• I think you have most cruel to least cruel in place.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,900 Posts
    How do these activities rank on the cruelty to animals scale?

Dogfighting
    Hunting for mere sport
    Rodeos/Bull Riding
    Horse Racing
    Dog Racing

I'm not sure why the point is being discussed over and over.

Forget the fact dogfighting is illegal and so is gambling on it.

He is part of taking animals that are underachievers and killing them. In a very un humane way.

Like I started before. You can not only get a fine for leaving your pet locked up in your car with the windows up on a hot day, but you can goto jail.

Damn, I'm pretty sure the University I work for would never let me back on the premises, let alone give me my job back, if it was found out I did the same crimes.

Vick should do his time, get out and forget about football (I'm sure he won't need the money) and maybe turn to a life of helping animals. If he went back to pro sports, he hasn't learned a damn thing.

• Because this issue, and the attendant discussion, just made me start thinking about other forms of animal cruelty and how people's opinions are formed.

The dogfighting thing for me was not shocking. I find it to be distasteful personally, but also knew it to be widespread and simply an unfortunate reality.

At issue is not the crime and pusishment, that's all pretty cut and dried. I'm more interested in the extreme villification of Vick and exactly what people's motives behind that are.

I'd be interested to hear the evidence of Vick killing dogs in whatever gruesome ways. ARe there pics or videos? Is it merely the testimony of a fellow criminal?

Whitlock put out a piece on it today:

===============================================
    Vick deserves shot at redemption

I agree with the president of Atlanta's NAACP. The NFL should welcome Michael Vick back to its league once he has finished serving jail time for his involvement in dog fighting.

"As a society, we should aid in (Vick's) rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," R.L. White said on Wednesday. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country."
    Again, I concur with Mr. White. Michael Vick and every other convicted felon deserve an opportunity to re-enter society and earn an honest living. Now that Vick has acknowledged his wrongdoing, offered an apology through his attorney and is prepared to accept his fate, we should treat him with compassion, and support his rehabilitation efforts.

I also hope that our modern-day civil-rights leaders stake out a consistent position on compassion. We can't demand it for Michael Vick and deny it to those we don't like, especially when it comes to high-profile public figures such as Don Imus.

You see, this is the problem when every misdeed or slip of the tongue by a broadcaster, celebrity, athlete is turned into a major political issue worthy of protest and calls for dismissal.

Vick and Imus are both flawed individuals. They made gigantic mistakes from which they should be allowed to rebound.

"Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being," White said.

He's right. Imus' defenders would probably say the same thing, and they would add that Imus didn't kill anything (human being or otherwise).

We have to put an end to the political game of "racial gotcha." It's backfiring on everybody. We no longer seek understanding. We seek vigilante justice. We want high-profile people to serve as examples of the kind of harsh punishment America is willing to dole out if you make a mistake. We think if Vick and Imus lose their jobs and are totally disgraced, their demise will make the world a more civil place.

I'm not so sure. I think we're becoming more bitter. We look for chances to screw the "other" guy.

Maybe I'm pro-second and third chances because I've had them throughout my life. I've been outspoken, flip and irreverent my entire life. I've crossed lines. A decade ago, I got in a taunting exchange with New England Patriots fans and cracked an inappropriate joke. People wanted me fired. They thought one public lapse in judgment said all there was to know about me.

I know there's more to Michael Vick than dogfighting. He can learn from this. He can evolve. We need to give him room to do it. When he is freed from incarceration, I hope PETA and other groups concerned about animal welfare reach out to Vick and make him part of a solution, not a target of harassment.

I have the same wish for Imus. He's going to return to radio. I hope he's learned a lesson and reserves his harshest barbs for legitimate public figures, not college girls. I hope people allow Imus to work in peace. He's been punished. He's been used as an example. Now we have to demonstrate that we will allow people to recover from their mistakes.

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell has been aggressively trying to police the behavior of his athletes. He wants to change the growing negative image of NFL players. There will be a lot of public pressure on Goodell to ban Vick for a year or more after he's been released. I think that's a mistake.

Vick is likely to receive 12 to 24 months of prison time. The Falcons are likely to demand the return of a large portion of his signing bonus and void the remaining years of his contract. Vick is going to receive a very stiff penalty.

If he hasn't been scared straight by now, he's unsalvageable. Having him sit out of the league once he's freed will not be a deterrent, aid his rehabilitation or do the NFL any good.

Rather than slap Vick with a suspension, Goodell should slap him with a host of stipulations regarding his return to the league. Require Vick to work with animals, speak to kids about his troubles, etc. Treat Vick better than he treated his pit bulls.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    He essentially said that now the Mike has pleaded out, he can start getting himself together, learning from his mistake.

Bravo, Jim Brown.

Should we stone the man? (this isn't directed at you, Doc) He made some poor choices but he is not a lost cause. He needs support at this time, not complete condemnation.

I don't think I did Brown's quote justice. What was surprising was his focus on how Vick himself needs to take advantage of this moment to gather himself, admit his sins and move forward. It was on some yoda type centeredness. Sorry but I can't really describe it that well.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    I have the same wish for Imus. He's going to return to radio. I hope he's learned a lesson and reserves his harshest barbs for legitimate public figures, not college girls. I hope people allow Imus to work in peace. He's been punished. He's been used as an example. Now we have to demonstrate that we will allow people to recover from their mistakes.

I have a real problem with this type of reasoning. Being given a second chance should mean having an opportunity to start anew, i.e, not being thrown in prison for life, deported, etc. It should not necessarily mean that you get your old job back, and it really doesn't mean that for anybody other than celebrities--I know that if I were to ever enter a plea like Vick's, my career as an attorney would be over. Forever. I am not saying that the NFL shouldn't reinstate him--I am saying only that I see the League as having zero moral obligation to do so.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    How many people do y'all know that load up their $1000 guns and get in their $50000 Ford Super F-1050 w/ a grill guard that could demolish a shanty town...how many of those people really need to go out to the deer lease this weekend so they can feed their families?

what does money have to do with anything? No one said they NEED to hunt to feed their families, i.e. can't afford to buy meat at the store...WTF. The point is it's used FOR FOOD (and population control as someone else mentioned), I assume everyone that's whining about hunting is a vegan right?

Anyway this thread's already been lost in the Harvey Canal, so fuck it.

what does money have to do with anything? No one said they NEED to hunt to feed their families, i.e. can't afford to buy meat at the store...WTF. The point is it's used FOR FOOD (and population control as someone else mentioned), I assume everyone that's whining about hunting is a vegan right?

I'm as far from vegan as possible. And I get to enjoy the fruits of others' hunts from time to time. I just think your espousing a notion that's antiquated. I work w/ 50 dudes that hunt every weekend the law allows them. Food is about the last thing it's about for the most part. I'm not down on hunting but really wanted to make a side point. There are some aspects of animal cruelty to hunting. You up on quail hunting?

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    National NAACP takes 'no position' in Vick case
    August 23 , 2007 [/b]

WASHINGTON (AP) Falcons quarterback Michael Vick "is not a victim" and should be held responsible for his actions involving a dogfighting ring in Virginia, the national president of the NAACP said Thursday.

"He absolutely must account for what he has done," Dennis Courtland Hayes, interim president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in an interview with The Associated Press. He had earlier given similar comments to NBC's "Today" show.

But Hayes cautioned against condemning the Atlanta star too quickly.

"It's real clear that Mr. Vick himself would acknowledge that he has made a mistake," Hayes said. "I think there is reason to believe in his redemption."

Hayes' comments came a day after the head of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter said Vick should be allowed to return to football after the case is resolved.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," Atlanta NAACP President R.L. White said.

Hayes said White and others who have come to Vick's defense are expressing an overarching frustration with disparities in the criminal justice system.

"People need to understand the backdrop as some in the African-American community make their expressions of support," Hayes said. "That backdrop includes anger and distrust with the criminal justice system that disproportionately pays attention to African-Americans and Hispanics.

"While no dog deserves to be mistreated, the backdrop includes the perception among some African-Americans that the criminal justice system treats them like animals and that nobody seems willing to do anything about the disparity."

Hayes, who said the national group did not have an official position on the case, said he didn't want to speculate about whether Vick was being treated differently because he is black.

"He may in fact be being treated better than some African-Americans and Hispanics who don't have the resources and financial means that he has," Hayes said. "On the other hand, there might be some of a different race or different ethnicity who might be treated a bit differently."

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided virtually all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges.

I'm as far from vegan as possible. And I get to enjoy the fruits of others' hunts from time to time. I just think your espousing a notion that's antiquated. I work w/ 50 dudes that hunt every weekend the law allows them. Food is about the last thing it's about for the most part. I'm not down on hunting but really wanted to make a side point. There are some aspects of animal cruelty to hunting. You up on quail hunting?

I'm not up on any hunting...I've never shot a gun in my life, and I was vegetarian (for almost 7 years) until a couple months ago. I think maybe you're letting your personal anecdotal evidence cloud your reasoning.

I don't know how anyone that eats meat can say hunting is animal cruelty. Distancing yourself from the killing doesn't mean it's not there, in fact I have more respect for people that hunt than those that get their meals from McDonald's or a Hungry Man box.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    I don't know how anyone that eats meat can say hunting is animal cruelty.

• National NAACP takes 'no position' in Vick case
    August 23 , 2007 [/b]

WASHINGTON (AP) Falcons quarterback Michael Vick "is not a victim" and should be held responsible for his actions involving a dogfighting ring in Virginia, the national president of the NAACP said Thursday.

"He absolutely must account for what he has done," Dennis Courtland Hayes, interim president and CEO of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, said in an interview with The Associated Press. He had earlier given similar comments to NBC's "Today" show.

But Hayes cautioned against condemning the Atlanta star too quickly.

"It's real clear that Mr. Vick himself would acknowledge that he has made a mistake," Hayes said. "I think there is reason to believe in his redemption."

Hayes' comments came a day after the head of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter said Vick should be allowed to return to football after the case is resolved.

"As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," Atlanta NAACP President R.L. White said.

Hayes said White and others who have come to Vick's defense are expressing an overarching frustration with disparities in the criminal justice system.

"People need to understand the backdrop as some in the African-American community make their expressions of support," Hayes said. "That backdrop includes anger and distrust with the criminal justice system that disproportionately pays attention to African-Americans and Hispanics.

"While no dog deserves to be mistreated, the backdrop includes the perception among some African-Americans that the criminal justice system treats them like animals and that nobody seems willing to do anything about the disparity."

Hayes, who said the national group did not have an official position on the case, said he didn't want to speculate about whether Vick was being treated differently because he is black.

"He may in fact be being treated better than some African-Americans and Hispanics who don't have the resources and financial means that he has," Hayes said. "On the other hand, there might be some of a different race or different ethnicity who might be treated a bit differently."

On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture.

Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided virtually all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges.

Now THAT sounds reasonable!

• I think maybe you're letting your personal anecdotal evidence cloud your reasoning.

Yes, the fact that I know about hunting is clouding my judgement on the subject of hunting.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Is Bullfighting coming to America?

• Dudes don't hunt for the joy of hurting defenseless animals.
    They hunt to get away from their wives and drink beer.

Anyway, I don't think many hunters are getting sadistic thrills from shooting game,
    which is the only reasoning I can imagine for beating or electrocuting an animal to death.

Dudes don't hunt for the joy of hurting defenseless animals.

Some do. Just like some watch Dogfighting.

Dudes don't hunt for the joy of hurting defenseless animals.

the thing is you (and Gene) are talking about specific instances/people, which is completely different than talking about the act of hunting and the act of dogfighting. Of course I'm sure there are some assholes out there that shoot animals just to watch them die, and maybe you happen to know one. The difference is hunting as an act is pretty justifiable, dogfighting never could be.

• Dudes don't hunt for the joy of hurting defenseless animals.

I really think these dudes are the exceptions, not the rule.

And what other reason is there for dogfighting?

The difference is hunting as an act is pretty justifiable, dogfighting never could be.

Sounds like a cultural distinction here and not a fact. What's ur take on..

Bullfighting
    Excessive Fishing
    Siamese Fighting Fish
    CockFighting (no homo)

In no way do i think its cool, but to say one is ok cause u grew up w/ it and the other is not is suspect to me.

Arent Cows sacred in certain parts of the world? And some people eat Dog?

• B, you don't seem to understand that hunting has an environmental purpose. How do any of those other things you keep listing have an environmental purpose?

In no way do i think its cool, but to say one is ok cause u grew up w/ it and the other is not is suspect to me.

when did I say that? I most certainly did not grow up with hunting, like I said before. In fact where did you get any of what you just said? I've never really thought about people in other countries eating dog before, but I don't see why I'd have a problem with it. Obviously shit like bullfighting and cockfighting are the same as dogfighting.

I really don't get why this is so confusing.

B, you don't seem to understand that hunting has an environmental purpose. How do any of those other things you keep listing have an environmental purpose?

So does killing the rainforest for wood.

Yes, Hunting is a way for man to keep animals numbers down so that we can control the land and not be over run by "those inferior beings".

What do you do when a common house dog isnt obediant?

when did I say that?

The difference is hunting as an act is pretty justifiable, dogfighting never could be.

dude WTF are you even saying anymore?

dude WTF are you even saying anymore?

Im addressing Hunting vs Illegal Sport. And hypocracy.

• B, you don't seem to understand that hunting has an environmental purpose. How do any of those other things you keep listing have an environmental purpose?

So does killing the rainforest for wood.

Yes, Hunting is a way for man to keep animals numbers down so that we can control the land and not be over run by "those inferior beings".

What do you do when a common house dog isnt obediant?

Oh come on now!

You blame yourself for being a shitty owner and pony up for obedience school?

I think it's pretty clear that clear-cutting rainforests has a far more detrimental effect on the environment than an advantage.

And, of course, whenever one animal overpopulates an ecosystem, it strains the balance of that ecosystem -- just look at humans!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I'm thinking about setting up a website where I can broadcast live Siamese Fighting Fish Fights and take bets......I'll broadcast the actual fight from a country where such barbarianism is acceptable and the betting will be made through that big offshore Casino.

I've already started feeding them steroids.

These fish, also known as Betta's, will fight to the death or until one of them jumps out the bowl.

The lone survivor will win and be crowned "Master Betta".

Maybe I can be the Vince McMahon of fish fighting!!