Atlanta NAACP: After sentence let Vick back in NFL

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Atlanta NAACP: After sentence, let quarterback Michael Vick return to NFL, preferably FalconsBy ERRIN HAINES, Associated Press WriterAugust 22, 2007ATLANTA (AP) -- An NAACP leader said Michael Vick should be allowed to return to the NFL, preferably the Atlanta Falcons, after serving his sentence for his role in a dogfighting operation. "As a society, we should aid in his rehabilitation and welcome a new Michael Vick back into the community without a permanent loss of his career in football," said R.L. White, president of the NAACP's Atlanta chapter. "We further ask the NFL, Falcons, and the sponsors not to permanently ban Mr. Vick from his ability to bring hours of enjoyment to fans all over this country." White said the Falcons quarterback made a mistake and should be allowed to prove he has learned from that mistake. On Monday, Vick said through a lawyer that he will plead guilty to a federal charge of conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and conspiracy to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture. Three Vick associates have pleaded guilty to the conspiracy charge and say Vick provided nearly all the gambling and operating funds for the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting enterprise. Two of them also said Vick participated in executing at least eight underperforming dogs, raising the possibility of the animal cruelty charges. Last month, state and local leaders of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People urged the public not to rush to judgment in the Vick case. The civil rights organization said animal rights groups, talk radio and the news media were vilifying the embattled athlete, and that his team and corporate sponsors were prematurely punishing Vick. White said the Atlanta chapter supports Vick's decision to accept a plea bargain if it's in his best interest, but he questioned the credibility of Vick's co-defendants, saying an admission of guilt might be more about cutting losses than the truth. "At this point, you're not looking at guilt or innocence," White said, referring to the possible harsher sentence Vick could have received had he taken his case to trial and been found guilty. "You're thinking, 'What I better do is cut my losses and take a plea.' But if he saw this as the best thing to do at this point for his future, then I think he made the correct choice." White said he regretted that the plea deal will mean all the facts of the case might never be known. "Some have said things to save their own necks," White said. "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being." White said he does not support dogfighting and that he considers it as bad as hunting. "His crime is, it was a dog," White said.[/b]Uhhhhhhhh...WTF is with people comparing dog fighting to hunting? Are they really that retarded??? Jesus tapdancing christ.

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I didn't read the article, but I feel that after he has SERVED HIS TIME and payed his debt to society he should be allowed to return.

• I didn't read the article, but I feel that after he has SERVED HIS TIME and payed his debt to society he should be allowed to return.

• White Guy Insider Tip:

Shit like this is why many white people think of the NAACP as joke that will defend any black celebrity regardless of what they may have done.

p.s. If other white people find out that I did this I'm a dead man. Keep quiet.

• hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
    I really think talk about him "serving his time" and returning to work are two totally unrelated things. Just because he goes to prison and repays his debt to society does not mean his employer should be obligated to take him back. I'm pretty sure my employer would shitcan me if I was sent to jail on federal dogfighting charges, and they don't even bank on people paying to come see me work.

(edit: and please note I'm not saying he should be banned from football forever, I'm saying in no way should the NFL or the Falcons, or any other team, be obligated to take him back. Strictly from a business standpoint I can't see why any team would want him, it would be a PR nightmare to say the least.)

But regardless, I made this about the hunting/dog fighting analogy. I really hope that was taken out of context, because if not it really sounds like he's trying to downplay this and frankly it's offensive.

• let this be a lesson. white people dont fuck around when it comes to their pets.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    not to derail, but does anyone know if big boi has gone on record about this whole Vick thing yet?

i'd be curious his take on the whole thing.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    I really don't see what one has to do with the other, so yes, after he's served his time let him go back to football.

• I really think talk about him "serving his time" and returning to work are two totally unrelated things. Just because he goes to prison and repays his debt to society does not mean his employer should be obligated to take him back. I'm pretty sure my employer would shitcan me if I was sent to jail on federal dogfighting charges, and they don't even bank on people paying to come see me work.

(edit: and please note I'm not saying he should be banned from football forever, I'm saying in no way should the NFL or the Falcons, or any other team, be obligated to take him back. Strictly from a business standpoint I can't see why any team would want him, it would be a PR nightmare to say the least.)

But regardless, I made this about the hunting/dog fighting analogy. I really hope that was taken out of context, because if not it really sounds like he's trying to downplay this and frankly it's offensive.

I understand where you are coming from. I reckon once the dust settles....the Falcons will quietly (or maybe not so quietly) release the Vicksta. I just think he should have the chance to seek employment from an NFL team that might have him when his jail sentence is up, as opposed to having to wait and sit out additional months at the NFL's discretion. Although it won't surprise me if they do enforce a suspension upon his release, under their conduct policy and for general image upkeep.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    What team, however, will be stupid enough to hire him? He is a HUGE disappointment as a quarterback(he sucks basically and as NEVER lived up to his hype) he has a shit attitude which I am sure isnt going to soften after serving time in prison...a HUGE segment of the fan base of whatever team is not going to be happy with his being hired by their team...it would be a suicide move for any team to hire this scumbag, mediocre player...

let this be a lesson. white people dont fuck around when it comes to their pets.

i assume you're joking, but in all seriousness, anyone that doesn't see the unbelieveably vast difference between hunting and dog fighting is not only a moron, but also a grade-A asshole.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    people comparing dog fighting to hunting? Are they really that retarded???

A wise man once said "The Internets is a breeding ground for unrealistic expectations of the world".

from Stephon Marbury:

"I think it's tough," Marbury said, according to Albany TV station Capital News 9. "I think, you know, we don't say anything about people who shoot deer or shoot other animals. You know, from what I hear, dogfighting is a sport. It's just behind closed doors."

• G_BalliandoG_Balliando 3,916 Posts
    "Michael Vick has received more negative press than if he had killed a human being."

And yeah who cares if he comes back, he's already old, he's not THAT good (err, maybe I should say he had potential to be a lot better), and half the country is going to hate him. That's going to make him a PR liability, so what team would really want him? He could start at a lesser position, maybe work his way back up the ranks, but I really don't see any team taking a guy fresh out of prison to be their starting QB.

I personally don't care if he comes back, I mean, it's not like he was on the verge of making it to the super bowl or anything. The guy made a really stupid decision. Why fuck around with so much illegal activity when you are being paid so much money to be a football player and play it cool? Seems like he's pretty greedy to be a multi-millionaire and still fuck with gambling to make more scratch.

Just know that a good majority of the fans of the sport are going to look at him as an animal torturing gambler from here on out. So, regardless of his involvement, and especially if he cops a plea and the whole truth never comes out, the world isn't going to see him in the same light ever again, so I don't see how he is really that valuable to the NFL at this point, being that they, along with all other major league sports, are pretty focused on keeping a clean appearance.

and here's one more jackass

There are plenty of reasons his behavior should not be compared to the alleged doings of the Train Wreck That Is Michael Vick...

and yet, let me do it anyway...what a fucking idiot.

this is quickly replacing (non) belief in evolution as my instant measuring stick to determine who's a complete POS.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    black people dont care about animals.

• I want an interview with DMX.

I want an interview with DMX.

or big boi.

considering his relative proximity.

• I dont get the big boi reference. can somebody plaese splain?

• But DMX has the dog theme pinned down.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    I know you're being sarcastic, but what's going unmentioned by most is that different cultures do view pets differently, even here in America.

I was talking with some Black students of mine about my dog, Zoe, and how her snoring woke me up and one kid was like, "You let your dog in the bed?" and I was like "Yeah, sometimes" and the other kid turned to him and said "White people are different with their dogs". Cracked me up! But he has a point, it's not really a white or black thing, but different people views pets differently. I would never consider any pet "an outside dog" but lots of people do, or chain em to a fence or let them live in the garage or whatever.

What does Common say about white people and their dogs and yoga?

regardless of whether you think dogs are equals to humans, or dogs are no better than deer/etc, I fail to see how you couldn't see the difference between killing an animal for food, and making animals tear each other to pieces for entertainment, to say nothing of the torturing/killing them for underperforming part.

it's like saying burning a church down and lighting a candle are the same thing because both result in fire.

• but thats just it! we live in america. and the ethics and laws are written through the eyes of the WHITE MAN! white man say dog good. white man say cow bad.

I know you're being sarcastic, but what's going unmentioned by most is that different cultures do view pets differently, even here in America.

I was talking with some Black students of mine about my dog, Zoe, and how her snoring woke me up and one kid was like, "You let your dog in the bed?" and I was like "Yeah, sometimes" and the other kid turned to him and said "White people are different with their dogs". Cracked me up! But he has a point, it's not really a white or black thing, but different people views pets differently. I would never consider any pet "an outside dog" but lots of people do, or chain em to a fence or let them live in the garage or whatever.

What does Common say about white people and their dogs and yoga?

I know. it was only half way sarcastic.

• regardless of whether you think dogs are equals to humans, or dogs are no better than deer/etc, I fail to see how you couldn't see the difference between killing an animal for food, and making animals tear each other to pieces for entertainment, to say nothing of the torturing/killing them for underperforming part.

it's like saying burning a church down and lighting a candle are the same thing because both result in fire.

so if michael vick ate the dogs he killed would that exonerate him?

but thats just it! we live in america. and the ethics and laws are written through the eyes of the WHITE MAN! white man say dog good. white man say cow bad.

thats cause cows arent cute! or very rarely are they cute.

AND, its not white people that are all about bullfighting, now is it?

regardless of whether you think dogs are equals to humans, or dogs are no better than deer/etc, I fail to see how you couldn't see the difference between killing an animal for food, and making animals tear each other to pieces for entertainment, to say nothing of the torturing/killing them for underperforming part.

Well i don't think there's a dog hunting season anywhere, and dogs are domesticated animals, but it would certainly be a different story.

Last time I checked people don't hunt deer by electrocuting them and picking them up and slamming them down on concrete.

• Rich45sRich45s 327 Posts
    I dont get the big boi reference. can somebody plaese splain?

He has a rather successful sideline, breeding Pit Bulls

http://pitfallkennels.com/

kind of.

I dont get the big boi reference. can somebody plaese splain?

He has a rather successful sideline, breeding Pit Bulls

http://pitfallkennels.com/

This boy is ready to go.

• but thats just it! we live in america. and the ethics and laws are written through the eyes of the WHITE MAN! white man say dog good. white man say cow bad.

thats cause cows arent cute! or very rarely are they cute.

AND, its not white people that are all about bullfighting, now is it?

correct me if im wrong but isnt bullfighting a spanish tradition? and are not spaniards more or less white?