BANNED

Comments

• Yes, but lets look at sales histories of the big hip hop/rap artists...yes, their CDs go bezerk when released and then a HUGE fall off on sales. There arent 100,000 copies a year still being sold of say Outkast or Nelly, yes millions right off the bat then it is as if the CD doesnt exsist anymore after a year. I think Public Enemy only sold 50,000-60,000 total of all their titles combined last year. That is what I am talking about, where as Pink Floyd and other old rock acts still sell milllions of copies...I know there are tunes that dont make it in every genre...but I am talking about shit that is HUGE then it is as if it doesnt exsist a few months later...is that point coming through in what I am saying?

You're comparing apples and oranges though - the people who are buying Pink Floyd CDs are part of a generation who is buying physical media still, whereas people who have been buying hip-hop for the last, say, five years are generally not buying it physically, if they're buying it at all.

Catalog sales in hip-hop are poor compared to other forms of music because the genre itself places a high premium on rapid change and catering to what's cool and of the moment. There is not a huge audience for touring juggernauts like Floyd or the Stones so it's very difficult for any act - let alone one with less fame and dedicated fan base than Public Enemy - to achieve the kind of long-term catalog sales that many rock acts are able to achieve.

I think you could single out certain acts, and more specifically certain records, in rap music and chart how they've sold since their release and certain records would buck the trend, but there are significant cultural differences that govern the examples you've cited.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Don't worry Dj Sheep, you'll always have a home at Soulstrut.com

This is where all the Vinylvulture rejects come to!

HAHAHAHAH! i rep SoulStrut for life, I guess those poms don't get my humour sometimes... I been living in Scotland and I tried to fit into their website cuz I'm based in the UK... truth be told, I don't... I'M BACK BITCHES!!! Couldn't be assed tryin' to help out over that way, I dropped knowledge on record spots around the world etc. All they done did is LEECH. I'm back, Raj open up the SoulStrut travel forum and let me moderhate, It's ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.

b

Fo shoizzles. Let's take it back like Quasar and big titties from the one Dj Sheep.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

• I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

No, you don't. I didn't say that. What I DID say is that there is a contingent of people out there who would say "Your opinion about Milford Graves isn't as valid because you listen to M.O.P. and other rap garbage." I notice this in many circles, including over at your site, Jeff. Not pointing fingers, or accusing anyone of anything, but it is an attitude that is real and that I've been confronted with.

God damn dude, that sounds TERRIBLE! Are you all right now?

• That is wack!

If it makes you feel better, I just smashed my Johnny Harris record in protest.

Whatever, I admit I carried on a little bit too harsh... but sheesh, it's like mutherfuckers can dish it out, but can't take it back. I've met some of these folks face-to-face and I WILL BRING THE HEAT

Really? Have you met Col Wolfe face-to-face? I'd like to see that...

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts
    I dunno - VV ain't Soul Strut, and vice versa....natch.

A lot of fellows on VV left Soul Strut years ago mainly cos they couldn't stand/relate to the idle banter, which almost seems to grow at a geometric rate on this site.

Everything about this set of events re; Sheep, right up to where we are here, pretty much sucks IMO.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

No, you don't. I didn't say that. What I DID say is that there is a contingent of people out there who would say "Your opinion about Milford Graves isn't as valid because you listen to M.O.P. and other rap garbage." I notice this in many circles, including over at your site, Jeff. Not pointing fingers, or accusing anyone of anything, but it is an attitude that is real and that I've been confronted with.

I'm great. How are you?

Also, where is Philly West and South?

• This thread just got even more awesome.

Its nice to see a little cross-message-board-beef that doesn't involve spermidermy for once!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

It might suck to you, but so does your hogwash set-sale list which I removed myself from because you were selling ridiculously common records for 20 pounds a pop bro, no offense, thats why I removed myself from it.

And, just like that, it hath been tooketh there.

• I dunno - VV ain't Soul Strut, and vice versa....natch.

A lot of fellows on VV left Soul Strut years ago mainly cos they couldn't stand/relate to the idle banter, which almost seems to grow at a geometric rate on this site.

Everything about this set of events re; Sheep, right up to where we are here, pretty much sucks IMO.

It might suck to you, but so does your hogwash set-sale list which I removed myself from because you were selling ridiculously common records for 20 pounds a pop bro, no offense, thats why I removed myself from it.

You guys over at VV stick with your harsh moderation of freedom of speech. It really ain't cool to moderate what people say or put these temporary bans on, especially when you have a rabid beast by the name of wallace running loose, who is a million times worse than me on many levels.

It's rather ironic that the day you ban me there's a thread up asking about info on an Aussie record which no one has the solid answers for... a community is a community. You can't moderate people when they have an online "soulstrut moment", nor can u make up 2 sets of rules for people, it's ok to post beatdawgs DVD up, but not ok to post up Andy Votel's catalog.... or it's ok for someone to call me DJ Lamb, but when I call him DJ Fuckstick, it's all bad in the hood.

YOYOYO RAP 4 LIFE NINJA....

Yeah.. you're an idiot, which I guess is where you got your name. I'm DJ Fuckstick, and I'm proud of my all-Indigo Girls mornings at Starbucks. Fuck you and your Australian inferiority Russell Crowe whipped-sourcream bullshit. I love how you claim freedom of speech but declare Wallace a "rabid beast". Your stupid bullshit is somehow better than his stupid bullshit? Who knew sheep were so funny? Dogs, cats, rats, monsters (Shrek), pigs (Babe), but sheep?

• SoulhawkSoulhawk 3,197 Posts
    And, just like that, it hath been tooketh there.

where's my popcorn?

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I dunno - VV ain't Soul Strut, and vice versa....natch.

I can fully understand this. Honestly I can't relate to the idle banter myself. But this thread has turned into a pretty good discussion I think.

* Whoops, I think I spoke too soon.

• Not Col Wolfe, dunno him really, don't care much about him... but beddoes, jakartajive and blighty have got big checks coming from the tooth fairy.

I think at the end of the day, this isn't about violence, racism or arrogance. It's about a bunch of internet record dorks like myself, not being able to have a laugh at being called "dj fuckstick".

I mean, I'm DJ Sheep. whoopity doooo dahhh. I play rap records and get money. If I changed my name to DJ Fuckstick, I bet I could still do the same shit... it's an honour to be crowned Grandwizard Fuckstick by me. Who wants it?

Now, Dj Tooth Fairy is a cool name, you sheepdipshit...

I had a laugh at you in my response at VV. How could you have taken that seriously? Do you think I would really advertise my Tori Amos worship to to the world?

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Not Col Wolfe, dunno him really, don't care much about him... but beddoes, jakartajive and blighty have got big checks coming from the tooth fairy.

I think at the end of the day, this isn't about violence, racism or arrogance. It's about a bunch of internet record dorks like myself, not being able to have a laugh at being called "dj fuckstick".

I mean, I'm DJ Sheep. whoopity doooo dahhh. I play rap records and get money. If I changed my name to DJ Fuckstick, I bet I could still do the same shit... it's an honour to be crowned Grandwizard Fuckstick by me. Who wants it?

I had a laugh at you in my response at VV. How could you have taken that seriously? Do you think I would really advertise my Tori Amos worship to to the world?

Huey Lewis and Abba on the other hand..

• Yeah.. you're an idiot, which I guess is where you got your name. I'm DJ Fuckstick, and I'm proud of my all-Indigo Girls mornings at Starbucks. Fuck you and your Australian inferiority Russell Crowe whipped-sourcream bullshit. I love how you claim freedom of speech but declare Wallace a "rabid beast". Your stupid bullshit is somehow better than his stupid bullshit? Who knew sheep were so funny? Dogs, cats, rats, monsters (Shrek), pigs (Babe), but sheep?

now now ladyboy, don't get your panties twisted.

Do yourself a favour, go to your local HMV and buy the UGK album, listen to both CDs, get a hooker (get a receipt for me, I'll paypal you for it), get some codeine in you, then come back here and post...

p.s.-No one's ever made fun of my DJ name before, it's really hurting my feelings bro, please to stop it.

I'm really glad nobody has ever made fun of your DJ name before. It's hard in this world, being sensitive -that's what yr name indicates, right? I mean, deep down?- and it seems you've done a great job constructing a shell. Have you ever lost the nail off your pinky-toe? For the next week, while you walked around, the world felt strangely raw, didn't it...? Live with that shell... Learn it. Its confines might actually be the true shape of your being --and none of us would want to miss such an intimate encounter with the mystery of existence.

Adhere like a barnacle to yr Sheep shell, Sheep.

• Not Col Wolfe, dunno him really, don't care much about him... but beddoes, jakartajive and blighty have got big checks coming from the tooth fairy.

Huey Lewis and Abba on the other hand..

Huey Lewis was NAY NAY NAY!

I'm really glad nobody has ever made fun of your DJ name before. It's hard in this world, being sensitive -that's what yr name indicates, right? I mean, deep down?- and it seems you've done a great job constructing a shell. Have you ever lost the nail off your pinky-toe? For the next week, while you walked around, the world felt strangely raw, didn't it...? Live with that shell... Learn it. Its confines might actually be the true shape of your being --and none of us would want to miss such an intimate encounter with the mystery of existence.

I told you a good rap album, i tell u how to get high cheap and legally, i offered to pay for some pussy for you and you still abuse me. NAUGHTY GIRL!

• I'm really glad nobody has ever made fun of your DJ name before. It's hard in this world, being sensitive -that's what yr name indicates, right? I mean, deep down?- and it seems you've done a great job constructing a shell. Have you ever lost the nail off your pinky-toe? For the next week, while you walked around, the world felt strangely raw, didn't it...? Live with that shell... Learn it. Its confines might actually be the true shape of your being --and none of us would want to miss such an intimate encounter with the mystery of existence.

I told you a good rap album, i tell u how to get high cheap and legally, i offered to pay for some pussy for you and you still abuse me. NAUGHTY GIRL!

This will never work if you've had more to drink.

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

You guys over at VV stick with your harsh moderation of freedom of speech. It really ain't cool to moderate what people say or put these temporary bans on, especially when you have a rabid beast by the name of wallace running loose, who is a million times worse than me on many levels.

It's rather ironic that the day you ban me there's a thread up asking about info on an Aussie record which no one has the solid answers for... a community is a community. You can't moderate people when they have an online "soulstrut moment", nor can u make up 2 sets of rules for people, it's ok to post beatdawgs DVD up, but not ok to post up Andy Votel's catalog.... or it's ok for someone to call me DJ Lamb, but when I call him DJ Fuckstick, it's all bad in the hood.

Y'see, fellow - this is it. I was actually pulling for ya...agreeing that the situation kinda blowed from the off - ie the subject matter thread title on VV.

....and you call me out? Even though I've never met you, I thought you were cool - hopefully that still might be the case if we ever meet.

No offense on the set sales, B - business is just fine, thanks - I didn't realise you were ever on the list in the first place so no worries there.

• It might suck to you, but so does your hogwash set-sale list which I removed myself from because you were selling ridiculously common records for 20 pounds a pop bro, no offense, thats why I removed myself from it.

Y'see, fellow - this is it. I was actually pulling for ya...agreeing that the situation kinda blowed from the off - ie the subject matter thread title on VV.

....and you call me out? Even though I've never met you, I thought you were cool - hopefully that still might be the case if we ever meet.

No offense on the set sales, B - business is just fine, thanks - I didn't realise you were ever on the list in the first place so no worries there.

Holy christ, Belson is a pussy!

• BelsonBelson 880 Posts

Holy christ, Belson is a pussy!

Have I mellowed with age?? Duely noted, matey....moving on.

• OH BOY!

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize that if I want to listen to Milford Graves I have to also be equally into rap because both are "radically black".

I'm great. How are you?

Beautiful World Syndicate in South Philly at 1619 Passyunk

It's fucking bizarro Strut up in here.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    why do all you corny muthafuckahz show up randomly to go "omg this is why we don't post on soulstrut anymore!"

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts

Wow, reading that thread made me gain 1000x more respect
    for Soul Strut ... what a cluster fuck it is over there!

I only made it halfway through the thread, but that was enough
    to see that a) Wallace is running rampant there, and b) there
    are a bunch of waxidermy graemlins being mis-used on that
    board ... yikes. And the dude that started shit with Sheep
    was actually agreeing with him, anyway!

I fucking told you guys. Wallace is fucked - I can't read his shit for... shit. it wouldn't be so bad if he posted intermitently, but every second thread is either started by him, or contains some shakespearean monologue about... shite!

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

I'm great. How are you?

Beautiful World Syndicate in South Philly at 1619 Passyunk

It's fucking bizarro Strut up in here.

Oh I heard about that place. It's a record store, right? Passyunk right off Broad. My old stomping grounds, I'll have to go check that place out one of these days.