did you go to your high school reunion?

edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
mine is coming up and i tried to hide but they got super detective powers? i went as far as removing all traces of my go'vt and "dj" name from google but to no avail. i don't know how they got my email address, i use fake names always. i'm tempted but ugh. i got no friends from my graduating year. all my hs friends were older.

Comments

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    My 20th reunion just passed and I couldn't have been dragged there by wild horses. I hated HS, and people who are anxious to re-live those days are extremely suspect in my eyes. Maybe that's just me...

• TREWTREW 2,037 Posts
    hell no, i avoided mine like the plague. i've got a few friends from back then that i keep in contact with, no need to see a bunch of fools i could care less about..

• mannybolonemannybolone Los Angeles, CA 15,025 Posts
    mine is coming up and i tried to hide but they got super detective powers? i went as far as removing all traces of my go'vt and "dj" name from google but to no avail. i don't know how they got my email address, i use fake names always. i'm tempted but ugh. i got no friends from my graduating year. all my hs friends were older.

My HS had, strangely, a 5 year reunion which I did go to but it's a bit pointless except for the curiosity to see what people look like in their early 20s vs. late teens.

I skipped my 10 year, mostly b/c anyone I actually care about, I would have already kept tabs on. What I would have liked, however, was a booklet that had everyone's mini-bios. That way, I can find out what people are up to without, you know,having to interact with them.

Most of them are all mid-level professionals: doctors, lawyers, dentists and opthamologists in any case. Except for one guy I know who works at Pixar, in the art dept.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    yeah me too! but some folk found me and i realize i have more in common with them now than i did a decade ago? because they found my site and leave meaningful comments that are "wha?" and i can relate to? one of my sisters just had her 20 and said that was way more meaningful and fun than her 10 year because folks were still lost (including her) at 10. maybe i should hold out?

people who are anxious to re-live those days are extremely suspect in my eyes.

But I don't know if reunions are strictly about that. Like I said, I'm actually curious to know what people ended up getting into but I'd rather have a newsletter than a party.

• ageage 1,131 Posts

I was living overseas when mine happened.I was actually pretty pissed that they got ahold of me.Like you, most of my friends were not in the same graduating class.But to answer your question, no.

But, I did get to see photos that they posted afterwards and it was like the same shit all over again.There was like the group photo of everyone that attended and a few random shots of the "un-popular" kids.But, in the long run, they still showed the people that they took notice to most..you know..the yearbook photos!)

Shit look mad lame and I was really happy that I did not attend.

But not to discourage, some people like that type of gathering.
    I was just happy to escape when I graduated!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts

My HS had, strangely, a 5 year reunion which I did go to but it's a bit pointless except for the curiosity to see what people look like in their early 20s vs. late teens.

Mine did too and I went to that one, mostly for the reason you mentioned. Plus I wanted to try and hook up with one girl who I hadn't gotten out of my head at that point. That didn't happen, but I got really loaded and told a few people what I really thought about them. Which made it the best HS related night I ever had, why try to top that?

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    My 20th reunion just passed and I couldn't have been dragged there by wild horses. I hated HS, and people who are anxious to re-live those days are extremely suspect in my eyes. Maybe that's just me...

i didn't go to my 10th (i hated HS), and am contemplating going to my 20 in a few months, but honestly, i'm not sure that i'm really into it. the people i wanted to stay in touch with, i do already.

• ToeFunkToeFunk 90 Posts
    As a current high school student, I think I'll go to my reunion in twenty-two years to see if the asshole rich kid types with 1.76 GPAs got what they deserved.

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i'd be far more interested in going to my elementary school reunion. i see a handful of folks from my high school around town but i'd much rather see what my buddies from 5th and 6th grade are doing!

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    hardly went HS let alone a wack ass reunion...

Basically.

Though, now that I think about it, I'm a little hurt they didn't even get a hold of me so that I could refuse.

• phatmoneysackphatmoneysack Melbourne 1,124 Posts

This is what facebook is for for people of my generation. My 5th aniversary would be this year - but there's no point me going if it was on, because I know what everyone looks like and what they are doing with themselves.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    I went to my ten year, it was fun.
    Not to many people were on that "glory days" BS.
    It was one night at a bar, we all got drunk and had a good time.
    One girl, a really dumb one at that, kept talking herself up...
    I work at so and so, I live in SF, I just bought a huge house blah blah blah...
    We all started clowning her, she got super bummed.
    She was the only one I ran into with that "look at how well I did" attitude.
    But that said, if I hadn't gone with 2 of my best friends, I probably wouldn't
    have gone solo.
    One super nerdy guy, but very cool in his own quirky way, came in a Darth Vader
    costume. It was Halloween weekend but this wasn't a "costume" reunion mind you.
    And I'm not talking a shitty Darth, this was an expensive movie replica joint.
    He lent another dude, his equally awesome stormtrooper costume to wear.
    That was bananas!

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My 20th is in a month. Still debating if I should go. What does the soul strut massive think? Should I stay or should I go?

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    one of my sisters just had her 20 and said that was way more meaningful and fun than her 10 year because folks were still lost (including her) at 10. maybe i should hold out?

Yeah, people were pretty lost at my 10 year as well, plus it really isn't enough time for nostalgia to outweigh self absorption and general malaise. On the other hand, the women from my class generally looked a lot better than they did in 1990, and the men generally looked a lot worse (fat, bald, etc.), so there is the Schadenfreude angle.

there is the Schadenfreude angle.

Ha ha ha - totally. Except that I think I'd be on the other side of that.

• dollar_bindollar_bin I heartily endorse this product and/or event 2,326 Posts
    there is the Schadenfreude angle.

Ha ha ha - totally. Except that I think I'd be on the other side of that.

Me too, brother, me too.

This is what facebook is for for people of my generation. My 5th aniversary would be this year - but there's no point me going if it was on, because I know what everyone looks like and what they are doing with themselves.

See - this is the generational thing though. I just checked facebook and there's only five people from my class on it (myself included). Likewise, I did a quick check on myspace and the same deal...maybe six accounts?

What's interesting is that I did some google searches a few months back on some of my classmates, just because I was curious who'd be on the grid and who wouldn't be and there were some folks who just don't exist online. I think, for people 10 years younger, it's more likely they'd "exist" somewhere on the internet but I guess my generation was right on that cusp since the WWW wasn't even much of a force by the time I graduated college in 1994. What a difference ten years makes!

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    My 20th is in a month. Still debating if I should go. What does the soul strut massive think? Should I stay or should I go?

Didn't you go to Lincoln?
    My vote would be stay home then.

Sincerely,

• troublemantroubleman 1,928 Posts
    What a difference ten years makes!

This is a good measuring stick to pull out every ten years!!! If there ain't no difference, you're doing something wrong

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Hell naw, I never bothered going to school.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts

Didn't you go to Lincoln?
    My vote would be stay home then.

Sincerely,

haha. Go Cards. I work with my best friend. We met in high school. All the people I really care about I am already in touch with. But still I am curious how people turned out.

Ha - since we were on the topic, I thought about another former high school classmate that was "google-able" given her name: Pauline Mu.

As it turns out, she's the drummer in a local L.A. band of some renown: the Mezzanine Owls.

Believe me, if you knew my H.S., it's pretty fucking amazing that anyone came out of it who has anything to do with anything creative.

Maybe this 20th reunion might prove more interesting than I give it credit for.

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Nope, My reunion was last year. Some how they found me online. Out of all the places online....it was myspace. I received invites but most of the people I knew weren't going. So "Hell No" to that reunion.

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    I went to my ten year. There were actually some people that I was glad to see. However, I was also disappointed in how many people hadn't changed much ... or the number of people that just stopped being curious about the world and settled down early into very mundane lives. But making out for a couple of hours with my "high school crush" at the after party was just good fun.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    My experience with reunions is really different. I went to a really small high school. My class graduated something like 130. I went to my five year reunion last summer and it basically turned into the kind of party we used to throw in high school, which involves a large field, a large fire, booze, and hijinx. We all left the actual "reunion" with its "Welcome Back Class of 2001" banners, tepid Smirnoff Ice, store bought cupcakes, and raffle tickets about an hour after it started. We went to this farm that a friend owns with 40 or so vehicles and a few kegs of beer. Almost everyone came. I think that says something. At around midnight we voted that the 10-year reunion would be held in the same place. 10 minutes later a (very slippery) rope swing was fashioned out of an extension cord hoisted into an old oak tree that stretched out over a river. 20 minutes later there were about 30 people in the river. I slept in a truck bed that night using my soaking wet suit as a pillow. It was awesome.

I come from a really poor area, so socio-economic status doesn't really come into play. I like that. We're just humans being human.

• erewhonerewhon 1,123 Posts
    Myspace and the internet seem to have taken some of the spice out of high school reunions. I mean, you can pretty much check in on anyone that pops into your head to see what's become of them. And in some ways it can be more revealing because you're catching them being themselves, not trying to present themselves in a certain way that people do at reunions.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    I missed my 20 year last year, and I wish I could have made it.
    20 year is the one where enough time has passed that it would be nice to see some old faces again, and I actually have something to talk about without sounding like a total slackass loser(which is why I was too intimidated to do the 10 year-"Hi, I play in a band and eat ramen noodles everyday. Pretty glamorous.").

Anyway, if you are in the area and have the time, I would go. I regret not doing my 10 year, because it really was down to my own insecurities that I didn't. Now I gotta wait til my 30 year to see some of these folks again. People could be dying off by then!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I've never been.....mainly because I figured that if it were really like my H.S. days the majority of the class would be inside a nice restaurant eating and sharing success stories while me and my buddies stood out in front of the place smoking dope.

• My HS had, strangely, a 5 year reunion which I did go to but it's a bit pointless except for the curiosity to see what people look like in their early 20s vs. late teens.

yeah, Facebook preempted any sort of interesting high school reunion.

I know who got married, what most people are doing, where they livin'...

and it's not all that interesting even 10 years down the line from what my older sisters told me who went to their reunions.. like most people hadn't "arrived" at their main career or anything. "still lost" like someone else posted. the 20 year or 25 year reunions are pretty cool. shit, by then, some people are onto their second marriage.