did you go to your high school reunion?

2»

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    My experience with reunions is really different. I went to a really small high school. My class graduated something like 130. I went to my five year reunion last summer and it basically turned into the kind of party we used to throw in high school, which involves a large field, a large fire, booze, and hijinx. We all left the actual "reunion" with its "Welcome Back Class of 2001" banners, tepid Smirnoff Ice, store bought cupcakes, and raffle tickets about an hour after it started. We went to this farm that a friend owns with 40 or so vehicles and a few kegs of beer. Almost everyone came. I think that says something. At around midnight we voted that the 10-year reunion would be held in the same place. 10 minutes later a (very slippery) rope swing was fashioned out of an extension cord hoisted into an old oak tree that stretched out over a river. 20 minutes later there were about 30 people in the river. I slept in a truck bed that night using my soaking wet suit as a pillow. It was awesome.

I come from a really poor area, so socio-economic status doesn't really come into play. I like that. We're just humans being human.

If my reunion was even remotely close to that, I would rent a tuxedo. Unfortunately, I imagine it would be a large banquet hall, shoddy catering, Lite beer, and the same clique-y B.S. from high school.

Just today, I fell into the temptation of looking up some folks from H.S. on Facebook. I never went on MySpace but my work has a Facebook network and, of course, I couldn't resist the urge to look up a few people. Not quite figured out how to search around the whole thing, but whatever whatever.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Hell. No.

I did joint enrollment at a local college my senior year and never even went back to pick up my diploma.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    my 20th was a blast. it was fun to see the people you thought would be big and successful turned out to be losers, and the ones everybody made fun of were hollywood directors and millionaire business owners.

• i hated high school but actually keep in touch with a lot of my high school friends. most of them were fired up for our 10 year reunion but i was adamantly against it. i had the same attitude as others on here, that i already kept in touch with the ones i want to be in touch with...at the last minute they convinced me to go, but the crucial part was going out to eat/drink beforehand. an entire pitcher of margaritas later, i ended up having the best time at my reunion.

and a total bonus, in the process of convincing me to attend, my friends asked me who was the one person i wanted to see at the reunion...and the person i named was actually there!

my 10 year college reunion is this year...does anyone on here go to college reunions?

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i'd be far more interested in going to my elementary school reunion. i see a handful of folks from my high school around town but i'd much rather see what my buddies from 5th and 6th grade are doing!

dude you know we went to the same high school don't you? if this is who i think it is. in fact, i think we graduated the same year!

My experience with reunions is really different. I went to a really small high school. My class graduated something like 130. I went to my five year reunion last summer and it basically turned into the kind of party we used to throw in high school, which involves a large field, a large fire, booze, and hijinx. We all left the actual "reunion" with its "Welcome Back Class of 2001" banners, tepid Smirnoff Ice, store bought cupcakes, and raffle tickets about an hour after it started. We went to this farm that a friend owns with 40 or so vehicles and a few kegs of beer. Almost everyone came. I think that says something. At around midnight we voted that the 10-year reunion would be held in the same place. 10 minutes later a (very slippery) rope swing was fashioned out of an extension cord hoisted into an old oak tree that stretched out over a river. 20 minutes later there were about 30 people in the river. I slept in a truck bed that night using my soaking wet suit as a pillow. It was awesome.

this is such a great story.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    My ten-year came and went and I didn't go. I'm glad I didn't. I basically keep in touch with everyone I was friendly with in high school (a small circle -- we weren't very popular), and from what I've heard it went down pretty much as I expected; a friend of mine even got called a "faggot" by the jock who used to torment him on the regular.

The one point of curiousity for me was if the sole celebrity grad from our class would show up (Aaron Magruder of "Boondocks" fame). Apparently he didn't.

• Garcia_VegaGarcia_Vega 2,428 Posts
    Is it true that class reunions are supposed to be put together by the graduating class officers?

I was vice-president my senior year (college transcript related). This summer is supposed to be my 10 year reunion and I don't want to plan that shit. Two of my good friends were also class officers and none of us seem to care. One girl I ran into from my class brought it up and is super set on it. I told her she could take over planning because everyone I wanted to see from our class I kept in touch with anyway, and she said "but I haven't seen you in years." And I said "RRRRight," she gave me a look like she was really hurt by that comment, and then I felt bad for two seconds.

Is it true that class reunions are supposed to be put together by the graduating class officers?

I was vice-president my senior year (college transcript related). This summer is supposed to be my 10 year reunion and I don't want to plan that shit. Two of my good friends were also class officers and none of us seem to care. One girl I ran into from my class brought it up and is super set on it. I told her she could take over planning because everyone I wanted to see from our class I kept in touch with anyway, and she said "but I haven't seen you in years." And I said "RRRRight," she gave me a look like she was really hurt by that comment, and then I felt bad for two seconds.

it's not true cause i'm in the same boat as you. although i noticed in the emails i was the only officer not listed in the planning committee. oops.

i think i'll wait til my 20. i really can't think of any reason to go this time

• Options
    As a current high school student, I think I'll go to my reunion in twenty-two years to see if the asshole rich kid types with 1.76 GPAs got what they deserved.

Good luck with that.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    so there is the Schadenfreude angle.

i just learned a new word.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    its good you're not bitter.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Hells no. Apparently from the mailout I read the attendance record must be so small they combine classes. It's one party for School Reunion Class of 1995 (me), 1985, & 1975. WTF?

• rkwparkrkwpark 915 Posts
    i'd be far more interested in going to my elementary school reunion. i see a handful of folks from my high school around town but i'd much rather see what my buddies from 5th and 6th grade are doing!

dude you know we went to the same high school don't you? if this is who i think it is. in fact, i think we graduated the same year!

i swear i didn't give you up. they have a way of finding people, i'm actually being forced to go as my ticket was already paid and i rather not be out $35.

class of '97! go raiders!

• HamHam 872 Posts
    when i was maybe, 8 years old there was a reunion at my kindergarden/daycare. strange. i didn't go.