Fantasy Footy (Premiership) - Strut League

Comments

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I've just joined :-D

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    It makes it more interesting to field no scummers. Sweeter to win a league without ever fielding a player from the side that won the Premiership. And like a morally aloof clean athlete, I mentally discount the efforts of anyone who finishes above me if they have "Cheated"

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Replacing the rapist Van Persie with Berbatov, I'm guessing if anyone is gonna start a Spurs revival it will be him.

Shame he's not even playing tonight.

• The only way there will be a Tottenham revival will be if we get a new manager..I supported Jol for a long time but this CANNOT continue.

The league is done with already - we need to sort things out before we get knocked out of the UEFA cup and the other cup competitions.

Get Mark Hughes in..

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    The only way there will be a Tottenham revival will be if we get a new manager..I supported Jol for a long time but this CANNOT continue.

problem solved???

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_2824923,00.html

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Wow, I had an AWFUL weekend, bumped from the top ten

I wish to thank Liverpool for pulling Torres at the half

And Man U for sitting Giggs for half the game as well

Meanwhile, Spurs are so bad I can't even wear my Tottenham jacket outside

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

You have a Tottenham jacket!!?? It must spend a fair amount of time in the wardrobe, no?

This leads me to the question I've been pondering for a while now. How do the non UK, Premiership side supporters, choose a side?

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

You have a Tottenham jacket!!?? It must spend a fair amount of time in the wardrobe, no?

Should stay in the closet like all things TottingHam-related imo.
    Arse vs Liverpool was a good game. The pool had about one shot on target and scored, while Arsenal played like the home team. Fabregas came velly, velly close to winning it, and his goal was taken with class. I made some stupid squad changes though - got rid of Hleb for one, I want him back now! And Micah Richards COST me points this week.
    Anybody see the Chelsea game? Were they really good, or were City really bad?
    6-0?

Ramos has lots of work to do. He's quoted as saying he'd love to tkae Kanoute & Alves with him. How much cheddar would that set the Spuds back?

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Anybody see the Chelsea game? Were they really good, or were City really bad?
    6-0?

Only the highlights on MOTD. Chelski did play well, Lampard esp. one of his finest performances in a Chelsea shirt, even though he missed a sitter. City weren't too bad, but their left back had an awful game, and was probably the reason for the high scoreline.

I think some City players missed the bus down to London. The defenders, specifically. I pulled Richards the night before on a hunch, and gave the armband to Benjani as I thought Pompey would score more than Fabregas' Arsenal @ Anfield.

Then the fish and chip eating cnut goes missing for the game before declaring himself penalty taker, against the boss' instructions, in order to take a game-winning kick, which he executes with all the assured nonchalance of an England player deciding a major quarter-final.

It is, as they say, a funny old game.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    This leads me to the question I've been pondering for a while now. How do the non UK, Premiership side supporters, choose a side?

I get this question a lot. In my experience, where i have no allegiance to any particular town/city/region in the UK, it basically just came down to me liking a particular player (Henry) and running with that. That was about 3-4yrs ago.

Also, i have noticed a few other avenues that people in the states tend to follow when selecting a team.

1. Marketing/Advertising. Prior to moving to NYC (which is much more soccer/footy friendly that most cities in the US), pretty much the only Euro teams i had ever really heard about were Man U, Barca, Madrid, & AC Milan. And growing up, prior to the internets, i can guarantee you that i had only heard of Man U with respect to the EPL.

So with that said, i know a lot of americans ride for Man U, just because it was the first team in the EPL they ever knew about (and you can add the whole Beckham thing to that too).

2. World Cup heads / pre-internet avid soccer fans. Pretty much all the people i know who were into EPL and other leagues prior to 2000 were indoctrinated via the World Cup (and specifically the '94 WC here in the states). So if you became a fan of certain players/countries it was conceivable for you to find out the club team that your new favorite player was attached too.

3. Visiting UK cities/towns/neighborhoods. I know a handful of people who support certain squads just because when they visited the UK they feel in love with Liverpool, or Leeds etc.

I suspect just like the dude in the UK who likes the Yankees or Cowboys or Lakers, it has less to do with any real allegiance and more just to do with what was made available to you from afar.

In my experience, where i have no allegiance to any particular town/city/region in the UK, it basically just came down to me liking a particular player (Henry) and running with that. I suspect just like the dude in the UK who likes the Yankees or Cowboys or Lakers, it has less to do with any real allegiance and more just to do with what was made available to you from afar.

I followed the Ewing-era Knicks because I liked the way Patric Ewing took free-throws. Most players bend the knees, straighten up and extend the arms, and release the shot, all in one movement. Ewing seemed to break a throw down into it's constituent parts; he didn't use his knees at all, he raised his arms over his head and there was a distinct before he let the ball go - the shot itself was all just a flick of the wrists. I thought this was a thing of beauty, simple, yet totally controlled. Please to compare and contrast with a Shaq brick.

I also liked the signing of Sprewell, because he liked to punch fuckers out if I remember.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I think some City players missed the bus down to London.

Nice quote from David Lacey in the Guardian; "Javier Garrido, who may as well have worn a sign reading 'All Through Traffic'..."

Mind you, our lot have looked distinctly mediocre since the Pompey game.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I suspect just like the dude in the UK who likes the Yankees or Cowboys or Lakers, it has less to do with any real allegiance and more just to do with what was made available to you from afar.

That make sense, cheers for breaking it down for me jlee.
    Can't say I know anyone who likes US sports enough to have a 'team'. But then I don't know many real sports mad people.

When I was a teenager I was mad into the NFL. Had the record and fact book and everything. Even wrote in to correct them about erroneous entries in the 1985 edition (Bobby Duckworth's 1984 average yds per catch *was* 3rd best-evarrrr). Used to stay awake til the wee hours listening to the matches on the AFRTS Parade of Sports (US Forces had radio over here on 873 Mw).

I used to follow the Rams when they were in Anaheim. This was pre-internet, so you had to write to the club for info. Dickerson was the man back then. The Rams had a few good years under John Robinson and were always the underdog in the playoffs, so I used to root for them.

Nowadays, the league seems upside down with all the shit 80s teams running things. I can't get with the gimmicky facelifed team logos either. Maybe I am just getting old when you reminisce about how good a sport used to be...

I would still love to own a pair of proper lo-top white-with-black-sole Adidas or Nike astroturf cleats c.1983-84. The closest we ever got in Europe were Pony NFL sneaks which were super-weak street versions of the real deal.

Doh, I should really have followed my own advice and picked Robbie Keane ahead of Obafemi Martins. Despite Spurs' shocking form, the leprechaun continues to put the ball away.

I didn't get to watch the Arse vs Manure game, and as much as it looks like the title will be won be either of them, I'm starting to get unsettled by the thought of Chel$ki winning the league again. Surely the African Nations will take the wind out of their sales?

And what's with Jamie Carragher? Three weeks in a row, and he's committed some kind of foul that should have cost Liverpool a penalty, but not once has been been caught. With that kind of luck, Second-Choice Steve is looking even more of a dunce for leaving him out of the England team.

• TOP OF THE TABLE!

I think its time for Chopra to go though, he consatntly getting booked and hasnt scored in weeks!

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    super sunday?!?!?!

I am bout to be living at the bar this weekend.

get hype.

now if you scousers can only beat the shit out of ManU while finding a way for Torres to simultaneously break his leg...i would be a happy man.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I think I would be happy if Liverpool played half as well as they have been playing in the Champions League as of late.

*Crosses fingers*

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    I think I would be happy if Liverpool played half as well as they did at Reading last week.

*Crosses fingers*

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    i just took Stevie G off as my captain and had him hand that shit to Carlos Tevez.

• this thread has gone very quiet

I did get the #1 spot for a week in this league which I was happy about (without ever fielding a Un*ted player)... But there's no way I can win without "Ronaldo (C)" in there.

I started picking up pace over xmas after being challenged by various workmates but, after grinding their scores to dust I'd kinda put it one side and just made impulsive changes. I'm now firmly rooted in mid table drudgery.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I haven't done a fantasy league since they first came out when I was a kid. Must admit I've enjoyed it.

Congrats to Zom B for getting off the bottom of the table. Seeing as you only joined in week 7, you've done well.

I entered the top 10 briefly last week.

Can we get soulstrut names to these?

# Team Manager Gameweek Total

1 Justin Fashanu's XI lawrence lord 73 1557
    2 Shears' Murklemen Jake Shears 76 1542
    3 Eggs = Pistols Steve Dalston-Bull 87 1465
    4 The Wizard's Sleeves James Jennett 51 1383
    5 EssenceOfAMan XI Ali J 70 1375
    6 TShrt, Jeans & Nikes Sir Oskarinho 75 1369
    7 Bendless Flight Dr Bob Bobson 46 1352
    8 CL Smoothie mark stowell 73 1350
    9 The Invaders Duane Pesante 64 1340
    10 C-Villains Ed Lee 80 1323
    11 Jossy's Giants Marc Dos 95 1323[/b]
    12 Classic Material robert bluemke 43 1307
    13 Funky Scouser dj prestige 42 1301
    14 Jos?? changed my life Gareth Ward 77 1293
    15 Bottomsborough Ronan Timmins 46 1242
    16 Club Compliance Paul Chase 68 1220
    17 Soul On Grass Mack McCoy 62 1194
    18 The Funky 5kulls Ben Tan 67 1159
    19 Watts Riots FC Trilly Ocean 32 1149
    20 Sellers F.C. Alexander Godfrey 43 1119
    21 you_sound_white jonathan lee 42 1107
    22 obeliscs david da costa 30 1104
    23 grass stains space ghost 54 1077
    24 Deadbeats Zom B 35 1007
    25 Ex Spector Ant ben kopsa 48 987
    26 201 Players Rich Nicholls 17 931
    27 Dirk Wears Red Sox Paul McGee 21 907

this is me[/b]

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    I'm Club Compliance.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm Club Compliance.

HarveyCanal claims he invented the phrase 'Club Compliant'
    Maybe you can lay off some blame to him for your team's mediocre showing

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I had a really good week last week. 95[/b] mutherfukers!

Then Petrov had to fuk it up by getting sent off. Which also means I have to drop some points to re-organise for next week. (C-Villains & Ed Lee - I want my place in the top 10 back! )

I'm Bendless Flight, but lately have been looking more like Endless Sh*te.
    Was also top for a while, but then took a gamble on some English players like Ashton & Agbonglahor to get me points justs as Ronaldo hit his two-goals-a-game spurt, and I dropped slowly down the table. It's now looking like the only way to make up some ground is by taking a gamble and not picking Ronaldo as captian, and hoping a different player gets a hat-trick... and that relies on Ronaldo not scoring goals. LOL.

EssenceOfAMan XI - last couple of games have cost my run at the top three big time as did Petrov's sending off the muppet.