Fantasy Footy (Premiership) - Strut League

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    21 teams so far. It's on!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Utd are not likely to concede any penalties at home either so their defense and keeper are good bets.

Ain't that the truth!

I think a defender could pull out a knife and
    shank a player as he broke in on United's net,
    and the ref would award a goal kick ...

• Oh, and I didn't pick any players from Arsenal the SCUM.

Those are fightin' words my friend!

Damn, Invaders with the power moves today ...

... doesn't hurt that Gerrard is his Captain - that
    free kick he scored on was S I C K !!!

Anyway, most of the big guns still have yet to play,
    so tomorrow should show a big change in scoring.

Spurs got embarassed today

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Looks like I had a good day! I'm sure I won't keep it up for long! And ManU is up tomorrow, So I'm guessing a couple of you will build points quick...

Someone fill me in on a few things. This is my first fantasy league. I'm kinda lost. But then I guess I won't get much help after scoring 52 points this week.

I think I'll head out and get Gerrard put on the back of my England & Liverpool jersey's tomorrow!!

Anybody who has Martins of Newcastle certainly
    cleaned up today - he picked up a gang of points,
    and did it with style ... this bicycle-kick goal
    is completely bonkers! They finally show it in a
    close-up after the video has been running for 30 seconds:

• PSellersPSellers 157 Posts
    i'm in also, had an okay day yesterday. still got toure for some points today hopefully.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,893 Posts
    Plaeaeaese to be aware that fantasy gameweek 2 starts tomorrow and not all the sides are playing. Get your reshuffle on by the deadline.

IT'S ONN!

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Not the best start to the new season, my front line failed me badly and I'm fighting the urge to cash in my wildcard just so I can remove them all. Didn't help that so many games didn't play out as expected......

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

Mmmm, on a last minute whim, I got rid of N'Zogbia which was a bummer, and swapped Benny McCarthy for Berbatov, as I figured McCarthy couldn't possibly have another season as good as last years... and Obafemi was my other potential choice. D'oh.
    54 points though, and I've placed a side bet with a Spurs fan that Arse will top them in the league.

Come on the Arse!

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    So I'm a bit late, but I've added my team. Will I get included, after the midweek games?

Also, how does the substitute rotation work?

"Jossies Giants?"

Spurs are getting shafted and they think they'll displace the Gooners? Ha.
    I need to displace Berbatov & Chimbonda as they're not earning me anything.

Liverpool to do Chelsea 1-0. Please.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts

"Jossies Giants?"

It's always a bit of a gamble to pick a striker on the back of his previous season's performance. When Louis Saha scored 30 goals in the season Fulham gained promotion to the Prem, he was the first player I picked when the next season came around. He scored about four times.

I think Berbatov will come good, though. Spurs' defence is way below optimum strength right now, and it can't be easy having to rely on Anthony Gardner, a defender so inept he makes Titus Bramble look like Fabio Cannavaro. I really don't understand why Jol hasn't started Gareth Bale yet - is he crocked or something?

"Jossies Giants?"

It's always a bit of a gamble to pick a striker on the back of his previous season's performance. When Louis Saha scored 30 goals in the season Fulham gained promotion to the Prem, he was the first player I picked when the next season came around. He scored about four times.

I think Berbatov will come good, though. Spurs' defence is way below optimum strength right now, and it can't be easy having to rely on Anthony Gardner, a defender so inept he makes Titus Bramble look like Fabio Cannavaro. I really don't understand why Jol hasn't started Gareth Bale yet - is he crocked or something?

yeah Bale has got a thigh strain. This website is a fantasy football player's best friend:

Premier League Physio Room

I think Bale is injured, but nothing serious (muscle related?). Sure I read a list of Spurs injured players before the season started and he was on it. I've no idea how long Kaboul will be out, he looked quality against Sunderland - cleared everything in the air and on the ground that came near him (inc opposition players), and even made a storming run up the pitch, but didn't quite have the pace to beat the last man. Basically, if he were English or I was a Spurs fan, I'd have been very pleased with the look of him. If he stays healthy, he'll be a great addition to Spurs.

I dropped McCarthy because of the unknown nature of his second season, and figured Berbatov would be good - thinking about it, Robbie Keane would have been a half-decent pick though; captain (always picked in a competitive Spurs attack), drops deep to provide assists, I think he takes penalties and he scores plenty from open play.

Van Percy is my outside bet for top scorer this season.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts

"Jossy's Giants?"

Yep, that's me.

So, could someone explain how the subs work, please.

infact

Being a complete noob to this, could you also explain how the league table works.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Van Percy is my outside bet for top scorer this season.

Could happen, I've always rated him. I have a suspicion that Drogba will fall off this season, or maybe next. But that's based pretty much soley on how he performed for me on Pro Evo.

"Jossy's Giants?"

Yep, that's me.

So, could someone explain how the subs work, please.

infact

Being a complete noob to this, could you also explain how the league table works.

Which bit are you unclear on? Basically the subs will only play if one of your selected 11 doesn't feature at all in the 90 minutes. If this happens any of your subs who do get an outing will automatically be put in your team. To be honest I tend to just focus on the first 11 and don't spend many of my points on the subs (though they've increased the minimum value this season from 3.5 to 4 which is an utter ballache).

The league is kinda updated in game but won't really reflect positions till all the week's games have been played and bonus points have been taken into account - it does reflect points used on transfers though (i made two transfers this week so have lost those 4 points prior to the week's matches).

The theme tune to Jossie's Giants always ended like it was a question, like, who the F*** are they? So, yeah, I remember Jossie's Giants?

Each week the players you have picked either will or won't do anything in real life that will earn points for your team - as you joined up after the first weekend's games, none of your team have scored any points (points are scored for goals, assists, not letting in a goal if they're a defender etc).
    Each week you can also substitute players from the pitch by first clicking on the triangle under their name; all three subs should then be highlighted with green + signs if they are eligble to come on.
    It's up to you who you think will make a good sub.

For example, I have one player from Blackburn. When I know Blackburn are going to play Man U, Arsenal, Liverpool or Chelsea, as there's a good chance Blackburn will be beaten by the big four clubs, I'll sub my Blackburn player off, as I figure he won't be contributing much to my team that week other than taking a beating, and likewise I'll make sure all of my big four players are on the pitch when their playing weaker teams.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Thanks

Yes, imagine being an actual fan of Spurs and not just worrying
    about your fantasy team ... been a bit of a nightmare start so far

Hopefully, Derby will be good for what ails us

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts

Yes, imagine being an actual fan of Spurs and not just worrying
    about your fantasy team ... been a bit of a nightmare start so far

Hopefully, Derby will be good for what ails us

while i can't say i am shedding any tears for those at White Hart Lane, I do always find it funny how entire seasons are written off in the press if you don't win in the first 2 weeks. Granted, you may not win the league, but i know my Gunners were all but relegated last year when we had draws for the first few games.

i got Bent in my fantasy team (blasphemy i know), so i hope he picks it up.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I heard on the radio the they're trying to extradite the new owner of Man City, due to massive fraud, or some such.
    If they charge him, and try and reclaim the missing monies, will that mean City will be owned by the China?

Thaksin Shinawatra (sp?) was the Thai Prime Minister recently overthrown in a peaceful military coup (tanks parked-up in Bangkok w/ tourists posing for photos). He was similar to Italy's Silvio Berlesconi in that he'd been in power for a long time, and with some conflict of interests, owned a lot of the media outlets. Also like Berlesconi, he's corrupt, prob has links to organised crime, and is really pally with other corrupt, capatilist facists like George Bush. In a disturbing similarity to Mr Burns, a Smithers-like figure recently made an official announcement on behalf of Thaksin regarding the corruption charges that went something like
    "...his excellency[/b] feels the allagations have absolutely no substance"

In providing a safe refuge for such figures as Thaksin or Boris Berezovsky, Britain is currently doing it's best to emulate Brazil when there's money being invested into the country - Pinochet was safe here, but the new breed of dastardly James Bond bad-guys-on-the-run seem to be required to invest as a show of good faith. Big football clubs here are now either owned by Eurasian oil thieves like Alexander Gaydamack or Roman Abromivich, or by American business tycoons like Malcom Glazer, Randy Lerner. The cold war is being renacted on the footie pitch, though this time the Reds are American (Man U & Liverpool), the Russians make JR Ewing look like a poor simpleton, and I heard a rumour that Dr Evil is putting in a bid for Arsenal.

A journalist could go into greater detail on all of this, but it's been an interesting off-season to say the least.

Man, that call was bullshit... Plus, I hate the fact that lampard got to take the shot.

Tie... PFTTTTT

I will be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Man, that call was bullshit... Plus, I hate the fact that lampard got to take the shot.

Tie... PFTTTTT

I will be in a bad mood for the rest of the day.

styles as a ref is .

phantom penalty.

only saving grace for me as a reds supporter is the result of the man u. match, and arsenal held.

ps: i am mad doggie about the l'pool result.

ManU lookin' shaky on the start of the season.

People should REP their Pool teams in here!!

When the *#!$@ did Carvalho get injured??

I put on the game this morning, expecting to pick
    up at least a few points from my Chelski/Reds/Man Poo
    players, and find out Carvalho is out, and Kalou does
    nothing and gets yanked at the half, so I don't even get
    2 points out of his ass.

Different angles made that penalty call against Liverpool
    look different. The reverse angle made it look like bullshit,
    but from Styles' angle you have to admit it looked pretty bad.

Only good news of the weekend from me - Spurs finally won

Oh, and I kept my Top Ten status in the Soul Strut league

... and Martin Jol is for the heave-ho! Seriously, I appreciate that fans should be loyal, but he's not a very good manager. When I watched the Sunderland game, every time Jenas got the ball, he lost possession. Every time. Now, if I can spot this, why can't the manager? Why didn't Jol decide Jenas was obviously having an 'off game' and replace him with Huddlestone? And when he did bring on Thud, why take Zakora off, who up til then had been Spurs best player?

Taking Berbatov off was also stupid. He's in my Fantasy team to score goals, not sit on the bench!

Fake penalty, maybe Sven is[/b] great, Lehman's looking dodgy, and SWP for the England team.

• magpaulmagpaul 1,314 Posts
    it looks like Wright-Phillips spent the whole pre-season just crossing the ball. his game looks tight.

Jenas always seems a bit light weight, he scored a great goal against Derby though.

I don't expect any sympathy but my Man Utd contingent have been letting things down, i offloaded Ronaldo in favour of Gerard. what a terrible start.