The FIRST concert you ever went to

Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
edited August 2007 in Strut Central
Those other threads got me thinking. This one isn't my best or worst, but it was my first.I was in 6th Grade and it was around the time of the first Gulf War. I remember it was a Thursday night (school night).Anthrax opening up for Iron Maiden at the Cow Palace. I can't believe my parents let me go to that.

Comments

• vajdaijvajdaij 447 Posts
    4th grade, I went to see the Judds w/ my mom. It was a little loud for me.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    I was in 6th Grade and it was around the time of the first Gulf War.

I.AM.SO.OLD.

My first concert was R.E.M. w/Let's Active--Life's Rich Pageant Tour. I still have the shirt.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    I was in 6th Grade and it was around the time of the first Gulf War.

I.AM.SO.OLD.

My Grandma took me to see Liberace when I was about 6 on the Steel Pier in Atlantic City.

That oughta make you feel younger.

• Chubby Checker with mom dukes. It was a beach somewhere. Atlantic City area maybe.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Eighth grade- my dad took me to the Cure's Disintegration tour at the Oakland Coloseum. SO RAD!

• kiss-1979

• JoeMojoJoeMojo 720 Posts
    Alabama at the '82 Knoxville World's Fair (yes country)

• Jackson's Victory tour 1984 with my moms and her loser boyfriend.

• the triple threat tour at the selland arena in fresyes! i think it was around 91 or so. and by triple threat i mean johnny gil, keith sweat and BBD!!!

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    kmel summer jam 92. monie love was my heroine

• PATXPATX 2,820 Posts
    Dutch Swing College Band, sometime between the age of 8 and 10. I think.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    As far as real overseas touring band concerts go, the first might have been NOFX at the Powerstation in about '95. Can't really remember for sure though, there were a whole bunch around the same time, All, SNFU & a couple others. The NOFX one had Snuff opening for them as well. For what I was into at the time it was awesome. I had just got a car so I could finally drive the 3hrs to Auckland from Mt Maunganui to start seeing international shows.

• JimBeamJimBeam Seattle. 2,012 Posts
    I'm sure there's plenty of bay heads here that were at this one: Bad Religion and Pearl Jam at the Polo Fields. Bad Religion was good, (although having seen them since, i am convinced they are robots- they are the most consistent punk rock band ever. They don't fuck up, they always play "ok", and they don't age.) Eddie Vedder was going through heroin withdrawal, so he lasted about six songs and then bounced. It turned into Neil Young and Pearl Jam minus EV as his band, playing "Rockin' in the Free World" more than once because they didn't know too many of his songs.
    50,000 disappointed people, all in one place.

• DJ_NevilleCDJ_NevilleC 1,922 Posts
    First three. All in 1977. All at the Omni in Atlanta.

1) Eagles and Andrew Gold - Hotel California tour (Steve Miller showed up for the third encore)
    2) Yes and Donovan - Going for the One tour
    3) Peter Framton and 38 Special - I'm in You (arg) tour

• Motley Crue @ the Oakland Coliseum , Dr. Feelgood Tour. I was in fifth grade and thought it was the coolest shit yet in my life. I don't know how my sisters talked my mom into letting me go with them and their boyfriends, but I got to go and saw Tommy Lee do his drum solo all along the ceiling of the stadium on some kind of rail/drum cage combo. FUCKIN-A BRAH !!!!

Many years late in junior high, the first time I sparked up, it all made sense.
    " So THATS what THAT smell was !"

man, I cant believe I thought these guys were tough when I was little!

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Ice-T in Helsinki, 1991.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Anthrax

With Primus and Public Enemy. 1991... I think this was the first one I ever went to.

• DJPrestigeDJPrestige 1,710 Posts
    Van Halen

1984 tour

Philly Spectrum

18th Row

Won a bet with my dad and he had to let me go. I was in 9th grade.

They filmed part of the video from Panama there.

Michael Anthony threw his bass from the catwalk and my ribs shook.

• PrimeCutsLtdPrimeCutsLtd jersey fresh 2,632 Posts
    government Issue
    electic love muffin
    constraint

'85 c.e center drexel campus philly

• dextahdextah 77 Posts
    black moon at the metro in chicago...the next week was digable planets at the metro

word

• Joe Public and Cece Peniston in like '92? I was 10 or 11 and had been to Greek concerts, but I'm pretty sure that was the first show I went to in the states other than Showbiz Pizza (robotic ensemble).

?

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    I can't recall for certain....pretty sure it was Motley Crue or Cheap Trick in 87 or so...

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    The Osmond Brothers in '72. My cousin had a crush on Donny.

I still remember them doing "Taking Care of Business" in those outfits.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Joe Public and Cece Peniston in like '92? I was 10 or 11 and had been to Greek concerts, but I'm pretty sure that was the first show I went to in the states other than Showbiz Pizza (robotic ensemble).

?

YOU GOT TO LIVE AND LEARN! i loved joe public and cece peniston.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Roxy Music, Manchester Hardrock, 16th March 1973. I'd just turned 13. My best friend's sister took us. She was into Santana and wasn't at all impressed by a bunch of art-school types in sequins and make-up. Me and my boy thought it was incredible.

• umm, there wasn't much popping in Auckland in the mid 80s, so with that disclaimer out of the way the first one was Toni Childs at a Greenpeace concert, the second Tracy Chapman .. UB40 & De La Soul were just a lil later

• kicks79kicks79 1,333 Posts
    The first gig i went to was around 94-93 and was local surf/punk legends The Hard Ons with brissy hard rockers The Dreamkillers and a bunch of skater punk bands in support including my friends band Baby Jesus Hilter. It was the local police youth club and was all ages. I remember Ray from the hard ons threw up on stage and after the gig i couldn't hear anything except a ringing in my ears.
    We had so many good times at that pyc.

• Neville Brothers, must have been the late 1980s.
    funny cause i just caught them again a couple weeks ago

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Taj Mahal at the Philly folk fest with my dad I was probably 11 0r 12. I think I slept through a bunch of the boring ass guitar strummer dudes, but Taj woke me up.

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts
    Johnny Cash, Stevens Point WI 1977 (w/parents)

First hometown punk show:
    Baby Astronauts at the Mankato YWCA

First real-drive-up-to-Minneapolis-with-my-friends-to-First Avenue show:
    Violent Femmes/Summer of Love/D.K.V., summer after my junior year of high school