Whats Rilly Philly

2»

Comments

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Explorers Den up by LaSalle is back in effect too after a long period of having fell the eff off (still not like the old days but bangin nonetheless)

Explorer's den with the plexiglass window and piles and piles of onions! Man this was my spot for four years straight.

what years we talkin bout here? i wanna see if you had the privilege of experiencing their golden era

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts

fu wah hoagies
    To anyone stranded in Philly after a night of heavy drinking, their tofu hoagies are THE hangover cure.

Also, in that same area, at the corner of 43rd and Baltimore, Best House Pizza. Their food isn't great, but their beer selection is. Best mix six in the city.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Explorers Den up by LaSalle is back in effect too after a long period of having fell the eff off (still not like the old days but bangin nonetheless)

Explorer's den with the plexiglass window and piles and piles of onions! Man this was my spot for four years straight.

what years we talkin bout here? i wanna see if you had the privilege of experiencing their golden era

1999 - 2003 I was at most a block away each of those years and from 01-03 I was about a 30 second walk.

Am I a golden child? Knowledge dropped plaese.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    wanted to like that LP, but none of the tracks were 100% gems. still, a fun record

I know. I was desparate to cop & when I finally heard it I was like "that's it?" Ther cover of the lp is ill, tho.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Also, in that same area, at the corner of 43rd and Baltimore, Best House Pizza. Their food isn't great, but their beer selection is. Best mix six in the city.

Allegro at 39th and Spruce recently stepped their game up in the beer department. They have a six mix, too. Unfortunately, the premiums aren't included:

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

Allegro at 39th and Spruce recently stepped their game up in the beer department. They have a six mix, too. Unfortunately, the premiums aren't included:

Foodery in Northern Liberties has a nice six mix happening and they're right by Standard Tap. Monk's and Eulogy are both opening up extended locations (Monk's on Green for will be in Fairmount and i forget where Beneluxx is going for Eulogy..two locations are planned...Broad Ax and somewhere right in the city).

Best Beer situation is Theresa's in Wayne right now. 150 bottles, 24 taps, 2 handpumps and me right down the street. Take the R5 and hit me on the PMs...it will be on.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts

1999 - 2003 I was at most a block away each of those years and from 01-03 I was about a 30 second walk.

unfortunately, my man, i must tell you that 1999 - 2003 was the Den's extreme wacktivity period. the drama happened i think around 1997, maybe 1998, and that's when the coup went down. New owners took over the shop and the old owners (or possibly just the employees) set up a truck across the street which lasted for only a short time. The new owners was slingin' some straight up trash samiches, not even CLOSE to the quality of the old Den. BITD the line used to be out the DOOR and sometimes down the block a little on saturday nights, that's how good those steaks were. I used to have cats come in from New York and lose they damn minds over them jawns (what up Dusty Kid, wherever you are)

Last year my dude hipped me to the fact that the spot again got new owners and they had brought back the tradition of the old Explorer's Den. Not quite as great as they used to be, but still pretty damn official. Note that these are BIG steaks with loads of meat piled on, not those lil skimpy neighborhood deli cheesesteaks... some people don't like all that meat on their steaks, but, as always-

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Monk's and Eulogy are both opening up extended locations (Monk's on Green for will be in Fairmount

I used to live on Green and there was a nice little place similar to Monk's that went out of business (actually the owner fled the country without paying the staff or any of the vendors). I wonder if they are taking over that place. I really miss that street.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Monk's and Eulogy are both opening up extended locations (Monk's on Green for will be in Fairmount

I used to live on Green and there was a nice little place similar to Monk's that went out of business (actually the owner fled the country without paying the staff or any of the vendors). I wonder if they are taking over that place. I really miss that street.

Oof. That's crazy. I like Brigids in that area a lot. Good food, good beers, cozy as all hell.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts

unfortunately, my man, i must tell you that 1999 - 2003 was the Den's extreme wacktivity period. the drama happened i think around 1997, maybe 1998, and that's when the coup went down. New owners took over the shop and the old owners (or possibly just the employees) set up a truck across the street which lasted for only a short time. The new owners was slingin' some straight up trash samiches, not even CLOSE to the quality of the old Den. BITD the line used to be out the DOOR and sometimes down the block a little on saturday nights, that's how good those steaks were. I used to have cats come in from New York and lose they damn minds over them jawns (what up Dusty Kid, wherever you are)

Last year my dude hipped me to the fact that the spot again got new owners and they had brought back the tradition of the old Explorer's Den. Not quite as great as they used to be, but still pretty damn official. Note that these are BIG steaks with loads of meat piled on, not those lil skimpy neighborhood deli cheesesteaks... some people don't like all that meat on their steaks, but, as always-

I wish i could've been around for the essence. My era definitely had some meaty steaks going on though...and it's funny but the truck must have just been parked out front since right after the first staff gave up. It sat there through all four of my years on Olney looking more like a statue than anything else.

Knowledge indeed dropped.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts

Oof. That's crazy. I like Brigids in that area a lot. Good food, good beers, cozy as all hell.

Kelly Anne's was my corner bar down on spring garden. I don't know if they are still open, but they had good wings and beer. The owner was a horrible fucking drunk though.

• Monk's and Eulogy are both opening up extended locations (Monk's on Green for will be in Fairmount

Kelly Anne's was my corner bar down on spring garden. I don't know if they are still open, but they had good wings and beer. The owner was a horrible fucking drunk though.

i like Philly a lot. My homegirl lives in this neighborhood so whenever I go to visit, that's where i stay. So Yes they're still open.