Whats Rilly Philly

Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
edited July 2007 in Strut Central
I was watching the early episodes of Fresh Prince with my girl last night.. I got a little emotional. I grew up 20 minutes out from Center City, lived there for 22 of my 26 years. I have been out in LA since I graduated college. The episodes touched on some many things I agree with.. LA and the rest of the US for that matter.. STOP! stop trying to make something that you pass off as "Philly" NO you can not make a Philly Cheesesteak... It don't work! At one point durig an episode Will was rockin Eagles sweatpants, a Sixers t-shirt, and a Flyers hat. (sorry Phillies) Anyway, thank you Nic at Night for the marathons of Fresh Prince... But Yo lets start a little Philadelphia Love thread.. post up any tracks that you feel are important to the city... PHILLY

Comments

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
    stop trying to make something that you pass off as "Philly" NO you can not make a Philly Cheesesteak... It don't work!

i dont want to interrupt the philly love fest, but c'mon, its meat on a roll with some cheese whiz.

• Mr. CasualMr. Casual 953 Posts
    stop trying to make something that you pass off as "Philly" NO you can not make a Philly Cheesesteak... It don't work!

i dont want to interrupt the philly love fest, but c'mon, its meat on a roll with some cheese whiz.

Pffffffttttttt nice try ... you can't bait me dude.. I am not even going to respond to something so preposterous

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    No matter how far I travel from my home town, and even though I live in Brooklyn, Philly is never far from my mind and always lives in my heart.

Speaking of Philly, me and my homie T** ****y have been playing with doing a Best Of Philly CD for a minute now. No said date, but it's something that I'm DEFINITELY going to do.

My contribution to this jam - it doesn't get any more "Philly" than this (although I'll have to dig in my crates and rip my Eagles/Phillies 12" version soon!

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    I grew up in Norristown and West Chester and went to Temple so I spent a lot of time in Philly. I lived in North Philly for abut 5 years before moving to Richmond VA. I still really miss the city sometimes. Richmond is a big suburban wasteland and not really much of a city. Philly is a great city, with great people (once you get used to the mean front they all put on), great food & beer and music. I have so many great memories from all over the city.

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    I have been moving closer and closer since graduating college. I went to La Salle right up Broad St from Temple and now i am right outside the city. I love having spots all over the city depending on what i am trying to do for the day / night.

The food game has been killing it as of late too...lot of good food and beers happening in Philly. Been that way for some time, but it's only getting better.

So from a not born and raised guy, but suburb hopper for 27 years, i love Philly.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    I have lived in the greater Philadelphia area for 7 years now. I have to admit, I still have mixed reactions to this place. Being a Pittsburgh native, the people here are incredibly rude. It's like the NJ / NY mentality has spilled over this way. Shit is crazy here too. The news is incredibly depressing with the muder rate sky rocketing.

On the flip side, Philly has some of the finest suburbs in America. There is soo much to do and so much natural beauty and shopping. Plus it's a nice proximity to the Atlantic seaboard.

• the people here are incredibly rude.

Yup.

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
    Philly has some of the finest suburbs in America.

• keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts

On the flip side, Philly has some of the finest suburbs in America. There is soo much to do and so much natural beauty and shopping.

i live in center city but grew up (family still lives) in Narberth. my friends from out of state are generally more impressed with how built up the suburbs are in southeastern Pa than they are with the city.

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    I have lived in the greater Philadelphia area for 7 years now.

you live in the greater Allentown area... don't be tryna claim philly then talk smack about it in the same breath, Rajer... if you were really from the philly area you'd know that we senselessly murk poeple for far less

PAGING PHILLYSTRESS

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    (Joke lifted from a Philly native's post on another board.)

Team owner Jeffery Lurie had put together the perfect team for the Philadelphia Eagles. The only thing missing was a good quarterback. He had scouted all the colleges and even the Canadian and European Leagues, but he couldn't find a ringer who could ensure a Super Bowl victory.

One night while watching CNN, he saw a war-zone scene in Afghanistan. In one corner of the background, he spotted a young Afghani soldier with a truly incredible arm. He threw a hand-grenade straight into a window from 80 yards away. Then he threw another from 50 yards down a chimney, and finally hit a passing car going 80 miles per hour. "I've got to get this guy!" Lurie said to himself "He has the perfect arm!" He brings the young Afghan to the States and teaches him the great game of football...sure enough the Eagles go on to win the Super Bowl.

The young Afghan is hailed as a hero of football, and when the coach asks him what he wants, all the young man wants to do is call his mother.

"Mom," he says into the phone, "I just won the Super Bowl.

"I don't want to talk to you," the old Muslim woman says. "You deserted us. You are not my son."

"Mother, I don't think you understand," pleads the son, "I've just won the greatest sporting event in the world!"

"No! Let me tell you," his mother retorts, "At this very moment there are gunshots all around us. The neighborhood is a pile of rubble. Your two brothers were beaten within an inch of their lives last week, and I have to keep your sister in the house so she doesn't get raped!" The old lady pauses then tearfully says, "I will never forgive you for making us move to Philadelphia!"

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    love this city.
    i love to travel, but i never really feel like it

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    This is the beginning of my fifth year here and my experience has been many times better than I expected when I came here for grad school. It's definitely the kind of place you have to live for a couple years in to fully get the flavor. A unique mix of culture, history, swagger, and raw talent exists here that is truly unlike anywhere else. And as much negativity as outsiders hear about Philly, especially in the news recently, there's even more love that lives and breathes here every single day.

Damn, I'm gonna miss this city like a motherfucker when I eventually check out.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm down with Philly. Like yall city a lot. Rude? Shit man, I appreciate that shit since NYC became fucking disneyland.

• ZekeZeke 221 Posts
    I've been living in and around Philly for 10 years. Right now I'm out in Wynnewood, which is a small suburb a few miles west of the city. I've only visited other cities, so I can't make much of a comparison, but with a few exceptions, I love being in this region.

The crime rate hasn't effected me too much since I've been in the area aside from a few break-ins and a failed mugging attempt, though I've admittedly only lived in relatively low crime areas (Roxborough, Manayunk, East Falls, University City.) I grew up in the sticks, so the surly demeanor was nothing new, and I've made a lot of friends from all over the spread since moving. The cuisine and booze establishments in this city are great. I also have to mention one of the local grow operations, Greensgrow Farms in Kensington as well as the farmer's market in Clark Park on Baltimore Ave in University City. There are some amazing community projects in this city.

The city business tax here is really prohibitive for small business and is the major reason why I got out of the city before incorporating. Though I haven't been too personally effected, the crime is out of control in some parts of the city. Even out in the suburbs where I am now, I hear the occasional gunshots (thank you Overbrook!) and have gotten used to sleeping through police sirens. The traffic sucks and the public transportation is nothing to brag about. Most of the people I know bike, which is definitely the most ideal form of transportation within the city.

Lots of biking and hiking in the region. A lot of historical cultural landmarks. Oh yeah, I don't fuck with cheesesteaks anymore, but when I did, my favorite place was Max's at Erie and Germantown in north.

• By far the best carrot cake I've ever had was from The Carrot Cake Man in West Philly. They use home ovens, never tasted another that came close. And they give you a extra cup of icing for good measure.

Oh yeah, I don't fuck with cheesesteaks anymore, but when I did, my favorite place was Max's at Erie and Germantown in north.

FINALLY a real head who knows the deal.... u gotta hit up the top ghetto steak shoppes to get that bomb azz cheesesteak! Max's is the joint... haven't been there recently though. Them well known south philly establishments ain't rilly the dilly yo. Explorers Den up by LaSalle is back in effect too after a long period of having fell the eff off (still not like the old days but bangin nonetheless)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i know max's--at the corner of broad/erie/germantown aves up in the north philly. i used to work 7 blocks down erie from there. went there once for a hoagie, never a cheesesteak--would have if they had more of a sitdown area though.

next time i'm down in philly i'll have to make a visit.
    i used to frequent falone's in sw off elmwood (67th i believe). they were better than the south philly joints i thought.
    something about those hole in the wall joints that do the real deal!

I have lived in the greater Philadelphia area for 7 years now.

you live in the greater Allentown area... don't be tryna claim philly then talk smack about it in the same breath, Rajer... if you were really from the philly area you'd know that we senselessly murk poeple for far less

PAGING PHILLYSTRESS

Let's get this straight... I HAVE NEVER CLAIMED I AM FROM PHILLY!

I live close enough to the city that I consider it greater Philly. People from my town commute down there for work (I live off 309), people talk about those damn Eagles all the time, I get the newstations and radio stations loud and clear... I AM GREATER PHILLY!

well, actually...

I AM GREATER PHILLY!

son, you are LESSER philly! that's right, i come up into soulstrut and take on the BOSS of this whole schitt... now THAT'S greater philly for you! i got cheesesteak on my breath right NOW. BEEF.[/b] WE DA BEST!!!!!!!!

< [/b]

LESSER PHILLY

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    Is Erie Ave. really the promised land?

Oh Shit. Eagles training camp coming live from Bethlehem, PA. GREATER ALLENTOWN!

• Is Erie Ave. really the promised land?

definitely not

maybe if youre a junkie

• By far the best carrot cake I've ever had was from The Carrot Cake Man in West Philly. They use home ovens, never tasted another that came close. And they give you a extra cup of icing for good measure.

thats my neighborhood. thas the shit!

• some of my food spots:

fu wah hoagies

bilals fish hoagies

brown sugar bakery

vientienne

mexicali

by george pizza (reading terminal)

tony lukes (strictly for the broccoli rabe hoagie)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    who did that cut "Erie Ave. is the promised land" megaraer nicetown/hunting park random raps?

i have to say in defense of the broad & erie -- from what i recall the police surveillance cameras/lights did deter some violence there. i admit i was skeptical of that tactic at first when they were going to do it--but its not so bad.

and raj lives south of quakertown so i think that is more sub philly than allentown (atown is an hour drive north of philly--during non-rush hr. time, i don't consider allentown a suburb of philly, though there seems to be a decent amount of commuters there)--though raj is not too far from either really.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts
    who did that cut "Erie Ave. is the promised land" megaraer nicetown/hunting park random raps?

Too Brown

• wanted to like that LP, but none of the tracks were 100% gems. still, a fun record

• DrJoelDrJoel 932 Posts
    Explorers Den up by LaSalle is back in effect too after a long period of having fell the eff off (still not like the old days but bangin nonetheless)

Explorer's den with the plexiglass window and piles and piles of onions! Man this was my spot for four years straight. The jamacian beer man down the street selling his CDs over the counter or with his little make shift take out window.......Y E S. Man that was such a great part of my life.

My Explorer's den experience:

Chicken Cheesesteak w/ yellow mustard and hot peppers. Some sort of home made mini pie by the register for dessert. Game over.