Chan.

NU HAAFU[/b]

i thought you were korean...

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
    shit

KUSO!!![/b]

or better yet

UNCHI!!!!!!![/b]

is that a candy stuffed pile of shit? my people are geniuses.

• I have one of those Japanese rare groove books with lots of pictures of albums and stuff..

All the text is in Japanese and the word "kotekote" is all over the place.. anyone know what the hell that means?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts

is that a candy stuffed pile of shit? my people are geniuses.

Yes, it is. My lady has one just like it. She also tells me that Unchikun is enjoying a renaissance of sorts in the Land of the Rising Sun right about now.

The whole 80s redux, don't you know. Not just for aging American hipsters.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    not too familiar with "kotekote" but i think it means something like "very much"?

• I have one of those Japanese rare groove books with lots of pictures of albums and stuff..

All the text is in Japanese and the word "kotekote" is all over the place.. anyone know what the hell that means?

こてこて・ラメん!KoteKote Ramen! 

Anyhow, there is Kotekote ramen, I hate that shit... made from pig bones.

And alien, if you havent figured it out yet, pvt. me for my email, I can give it a go.

Peace...

FNM

BTW, If you have mozilla, under the tool bar you have the option to translate webpage... Very useful feature.

I have one of those Japanese rare groove books with lots of pictures of albums and stuff..

こてこて・ラメん!KoteKote Ramen! 

And alien, if you havent figured it out yet, pvt. me for my email, I can give it a go.

Peace...
    FNM

oh yeah. that's what im talking about. ramen. mufukers wanna talk about sushi. man that's some novelty shit right there. its all about the ramen if you ask me. and i see you got a ramen chahan set going on right there with the little teeny tiny glass of water. fucking OG shit.

cosmo, i know nothing about the japanese language and cant read a lick of it. hell i barely read english. but i speak fluent ramen and will fuck that shit up any time. anywhere.

fuck, you are right Shig....i'm getting hungry.....that's the Japanese soul food right there.

fuuuuuuuuuck. i miss them joints that had the raw garlic cloves with a press right on the table to fix your shit up. white pepper. chili oil. gyoza setto's. wash it down with a tall boy of asahi.

UUUUUMAAAAA!!!![/b]

fuuuuuuuuuck. i miss them joints that had the raw garlic cloves with a press right on the table to fix your shit up. white pepper. chili oil. gyoza setto's. wash it down with a tall boy of asahi.

UUUUUMAAAAA!!!![/b]

ohh shit game over.

• spaceghostspaceghost 605 Posts
    I have one of those Japanese rare groove books with lots of pictures of albums and stuff..

こてこて・ラメん!KoteKote Ramen! 

Peace...
    FNM

oh yeah. that's what im talking about. ramen. mufukers wanna talk about sushi. man that's some novelty shit right there. its all about the ramen if you ask me. and i see you got a ramen chahan set going on right there with the little teeny tiny glass of water. fucking OG shit.

cosmo, i know nothing about the japanese language and cant read a lick of it. hell i barely read english. but i speak fluent ramen and will fuck that shit up any time. anywhere.

its on!!!

i know a dope spot in lil tokyo, open late....

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    on thing I learned.............pc's and mac's have trouble communicating w/ each other using international character sets. It seems pc's won't recognize the way macs handle such fonts. I can im people in kanji or big5 (chinese) and it'll show up w/ other mac users, but not pc users.

This also goes for id3 tags in mp3's, I have the exact same problem.

I also don't think this msg board is coded to handle international fonts, that's why you get the ?????

and to end it off on the ramen tip....

こてこて・ラメん!KoteKote Ramen! 

Peace...
    FNM

its on!!!

IKUZO!!![/b]*

*let's go!

gardena's got a bunch too. with veggie gyozas and that mountain vegetable ramen.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts

Tonkotsu Ramen is my shit right now !!

Tonkotsu Ramen is my shit right now !!

nice. i think tonkotsu is that prok bone ramen that some other dude was talking about. i mean, i'll fuck that shit up too, but im a misochashu kinda guy.

こてこて・ラメん!KoteKote Ramen! 

Peace...
    FNM

its on!!!

IKUZO!!![/b]*

*let's go!

gardena's got a bunch too. with veggie gyozas and that mountain vegetable ramen.

sweet! sounds like you can point me to a few more vegetarian options...i usually go for the miso based ones and ask for no meat, or ive had this spicy bean and tofu one that is real good too.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    yea thats what i thought too. but maybe there're many kinds/styles of tonkotsu ramen as well ? dunno...

i'm guessing chashu = shoyu i.e. roast pork in japanese? damn thats so much similar to how we say it in cantonese on the real. chashu in cantonese is roast bbq pork

yea thats what i thought too. but maybe there're many kinds/styles of tonkotsu ramen as well ? dunno...

i'm guessing chashu = shuyu i.e. roast prok ? damn thats so much similar to how we say it in cantonese on the real. chashu in cantonese is roast bbq pork

hiya hiya hiya! chashu=char siu. one of the manny things the japanese tried to steal from china. actually ramen=lao mien and we all know who originated the noodle...archaic. but yeah,

im pretty sure there is only 1 type of tonkotsu as it describes the broth. shoyu ramen and miso ramen also describe the broth. there may be varieties dealing with the noodle, in fact, i seem to remember the noodles in tonkotsu being thinner or some such. but damn, tonkotsu gives me food coma cuz there's so much fat or something in it. of course, ive had butter ramen, and that shit lays me out too.

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    this one looks ill...never tried that dark broth before, most soy based broth are much lighter than that no? looks mad ill.

kenny and shig.....this is seriously not cool man.....

i'm hungry as hell now!

• Whynot just do a simple screen capture and post it?

Domo arigato gozaimasu

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    Tonkotsu broth is more popular in the north.......basically it is as described earlier, a broth based on pork bones. Shoyu is obviously soy sauce based and is a lighter version, popular in Tokyo. Vegetarian ramen is not really ramen, it's just a westernized version. Pretty much all authentic ramen will have broth based on pork, pork is KEY. Miso ramen is not just using miso soup as broth, it's miso combined w/ pork broth.

Pretty much all authentic noodles whether it be pho, wonton, udon or ramen will use bones for broth. That's the key to any stock, you're just not going to get that much flavour from just vegetables. That is the basis of cooking really, bones and stock.

Torrence got the ramen spots on lock for you LA dudes. Follow the salarymen.....

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    Pretty much all authentic noodles whether it be pho, wonton, udon or ramen will use bones for broth. That's the key to any stock,

thats damn true!

Tonkotsu broth is more popular in the north.......basically it is as described earlier, a broth based on pork bones. Shoyu is obviously soy sauce based and is a lighter version, popular in Tokyo. Vegetarian ramen is not really ramen, it's just a westernized version. Pretty much all authentic ramen will have broth based on pork, pork is KEY. Miso ramen is not just using miso soup as broth, it's miso combined w/ pork broth.

Pretty much all authentic noodles whether it be pho, wonton, udon or ramen will use bones for broth. That's the key to any stock, you're just not going to get that much flavour from just vegetables. That is the basis of cooking really, bones and stock.

Torrence got the ramen spots on lock for you LA dudes. Follow the salarymen.....

thanks for breakin it down like that.

with that being said do you know any places in la that make good westernized versions as well?

Torrence got the ramen spots on lock for you LA dudes.

word. Shinsengumi is the shit for Ramen in Torrance.

A good one in LA would be "Ramenya" on Olympic Blvd. The Tenshinmen at that place is the BOMB!

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    OK folls,

First off, there is NO real Ramen in North America. Some of the ramen here might be ok, but it's really all on some bullshit. REAL ramen must be eaten in Japan. Ramen is a HUGE part of Japanese culture and is taken VERY serious there. Every year there are big glossy books published that rank ramen shops and have locations of shops all over the country. There are THOUSANDS of ramen shops in Japan. There are frequent TV specials that go into every detail about making ramen and what shops are the best. If a ramen shop is not good, it will close because no one will eat there. Ramen in Japan is so serious that people will go to great lengths to eat at a well know shop. I have waited over two hours in line to eat at Taishouken in Higashi Ikebukuro, Tokyo. I also visited the Ramen museum in Yokohama and it was off the hook.
    I have eaten ramen at shops in Seattle, New York, Los Angeles, Toronto, Vancouver, etc. ALL PRETTY WACK.
    Tonkotsu ramen is from the southern most main island in Japan, Kyushu. It gets its white color from boiling pork bones for a long period of time producing a think white colored soup stock. The noodles used in tonkotsu ramen are straight like spaghetti, unlike ramen noodles in the rest of japan.
    I hope eveyone can eat ramen at a good shop in Japan and experience the real deal!

People lined up in the rain to eat at Taishouken in Higashi Ikebukuro, Tokyo.

Bowl of chaushumen at Jiro Ramen in Mita, Minato-ku Tokyo. The ramen is SO serious there and the portions are SO big that I saw kids staggering out of the shop after eating.

Check out: www.worldramen.net for the real joints.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    the ramen museum in yokohama has been on my to do list for quite a while.........

yes Toronto is doo doo for ramen. Vancouver has one good spot called Kintaro........NYC is a bit better, but could still use some work. The two spots I like in ny are Minca and Chikubu (they serve shoyu ramen only on fridays). Although from all reports, shinsengumi is as good as it gets in n. america.

I guess next thing to recommend is for people to watch tampopo.....although there are some inaccuracies in that movie too.

as usual chan, I could count on you to chime in on this.

• Tonkotsu Ramen is my shit right now !!

Ok! Apologies! Its not the Kotekote that is mad from pig bones, it's the Tonkotsu.

I dunno man... that shit is fatty as hell... I didn't dig it. In fact, I woke up in the middle of the night and vomitted it all up. Maybe my fault for drinking all the broth...

I've been feeling the Jigoku ramen lately... Jigoku means "Hell".

Spicy style... effin' delicious!

Peace...

FNM

So what it kotekote ramen again? I see kote kote everytime I go to a ramen shop...

• Hello all,
    what is up funkyearthworm.

Tucked into some today and now I got Miso Chashu sitting in the belly right now here in Minato-Ku.

I think kotekote can mean something like "the epitome of" in a metaphorical sense, or "super-thick" in a literal sense:

That girl puts her make-up on kotekote[/b]. Shits melting off.

That guy is kotekote[/b] kansai-guy. He's talks so fast.

So, in regards to your book of rare-groove records, it probably just meant super thick funk, the epitome of the sound, type of deal.
    ...is my guess.

//rew.

• MondeyanoMondeyano Reykjavik 863 Posts

Can't front on Ichiran. That shit is retarded, it's so good.